PDA

View Full Version : Machine not carving right width

KLS
07-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I just tried making a sled for another project and I specified in Designer a width of 2.75 at a depth of .313. When the machine went to carve the project, 2.75 was displayed but it cut 2.875. Could this be because of the taper on the 1/16" carve bit, and if so would it be OK to use the 1/8" cutting bit instead, even if I have to get to the .313 depth with a couple of passes? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

Jeff_Birt
07-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Without knowing what your trying to carve out it's really hard to say. If you are trying to just do a simple carve region then you might get by with the 1/8" bit (be sure to set it up to use the 1/8" bit under board settings, don't just swap bits). The machine also has a built in calibration procedure, but you need a 3/8" straight cutting but to use it.

KLS
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, I tried to just do a vector outline of the carving and it still was exactly 1/8" to big. I compensated for this in Designer and ran a vector outline and then another program for a carve region to take out the middle and all is well. But does this mean that the machine won't compensate for the bit you have selected or is my machine that far out of calibration?

bobi
07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, I tried to just do a vector outline of the carving and it still was exactly 1/8" to big. I compensated for this in Designer and ran a vector outline and then another program for a carve region to take out the middle and all is well. But does this mean that the machine won't compensate for the bit you have selected or is my machine that far out of calibration?

Did you "cut" a line around the outside of the area? It seems to me that the "line" is the center of the cutter, so you end up with "1/2" the width of the bit on both sides of the area.

Digitalwoodshop
07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Isn't there a selection to cut inside or outside the line?

AL