PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice the Announcement

Kenm810
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Centerline now being offered by LHR --- Check the Store http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Reset
07-26-2007, 01:17 PM
But add it to your cart and this is on the next page...not available yet :)

*** This product is currently on backorder. Please check our website for information on availability or call customer service at (713) 473-6572.

Tommy

Kenm810
07-26-2007, 01:38 PM
But if you continue your order goes through -- http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Sarge
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Centerline now being offered by LHR --- Check the Store http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Yep, it's there. And only $100 for it, not $500 as speculated early on.

Reset
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes, it's there :D

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4114

Tommy

nirmala
07-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Sorry about the message on the online store, it has been removed. The product is available!!!

Thanks

rjp736
07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
What a joke. It was suppose to only be $50.00.....now they double it!!

Charles M
07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Sarge,

$500 was supposed to be the price for the upgraded Designer with import functionality. Based on the current inflation rate I'd guess it will actually be more like $1100 ;)

Charles M
07-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Robbie,

If we all refuse to buy it they may have to lower the price. I propose that we keep swapping files with the old demo version and see what happens. I have had an excellent Carvewright experience to date and don't mean to sound like a heretic but it boils down to basic economics. Besides, they may have come up with that price to test the waters and see if we are willing to pay it.

rjp736
07-26-2007, 03:47 PM
I'd a bought it for $50.00, but there's NO way I'm paying $100.00.

Charles M
07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd a bought it for $50.00, but there's NO way I'm paying $100.00.

Amen brother! When I bought my machine it was advertised as coming with centerline. Maybe CW could at least discount it for those of us in that same boat.

DustyUsr
07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks Charles, I'll give that a try.

DustyUsr
07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Charles, worked GREAT, thanks a Bunch

newcarver
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree, it was advertised with the darn machine and i had heard it was only $50 also, $100-forget it. I love the machine and its capabilities, but is everything "extra" for it is going to cost that much, i guess i'll live with what i have. If they are going to charge prices like that for extras, maybe they can afford to offer an extended warrenty also. Once mine runs out it is unlikly i will be able to afford to repair it as frequently as it breaks down, not to mention the amount of wood i have had destroyed by it. I hope this does'nt sound to harsh, but not ALL of us can afford to shell out cash for the extras.

pkunk
07-26-2007, 08:55 PM
In defense of Carvewright, I'm sure the developement costs far exceded their expectations. But you folks don't care about their problems.
Centerline will pay for it's self in no time in signs sold vs time for carving by the other methods.
Plus, my experience in 1 1/2 years of selling these, is the people want that deep, crisp text. It sells!
So, it's sorta like buying anything else. If you need it or can make $$ with it, buy it & swallow.
If it's just a toy, it's too expensive for you-drop it, & do it the other ways. I can't stand crybabys, grow up!

rjp736
07-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Your right. We don't care about their problems. We were told it would be $50.00 not $100.00. Your point about selling carvings using centerline doesn't matter to most of us either because we didn't buy the machine to use as a business. Don't get me wrong, all problems I've had I stuck with the machine. Just most of us feel cheated when originally CC was advertised as having centerline, then they said $50.00 and now they double it. Give us a break. Would only be fair for all the hassles and down time most of us had.

pkunk
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Your right. We don't care about their problems. We were told it would be $50.00 not $100.00. Your point about selling carvings using centerline doesn't matter to most of us either because we didn't buy the machine to use as a business. Don't get me wrong, all problems I've had I stuck with the machine. Just most of us feel cheated when originally CC was advertised as having centerline, then they said $50.00 and now they double it. Give us a break. Would only be fair for all the hassles and down time most of us had.
If you feel in your heart you're right, why not call them and cry your plea with them. Do you think any of us here can do it for you? :rolleyes:

rjp736
07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Last time I looked this was called a "Forum". If you don't know what that means look it up. Besides, I expect nothing less than criticism from you of all people.

Bill
07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
What's all the weeping about the $100.00 for the software? It cost a lot of time and money to develop the software and make it correctly, It's like anything else if you do not want to pay the $100.00 don't buy it.

Dave-Carve
07-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Does anybody Actuly have it yet i Mean Tryed it
Does it have features like setting Depth of centerline text,New Bit Options etc. Is it an update code or new designer program?? Is it faster than .028,Does it have more features than .028
Ahh Never mind Ill Just order it !!!! I just wont drink TOP SHELF Saturday Night :rolleyes: Looks like another BEER Nite!!!

Just a couple of curious questions ,Plus I Get 1 more closer to SENOIR MEMBER !!!! :D

dannirr
07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
For us neophytes - what is Centerline? And why do I need it?

Danni

CallNeg151
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, at $50, it was an impulse buy. At $100 I need to check with the spouse :-( I'd feel better if maybe part of the $100 could be credited toward the advanced software package (that supposedly includes Centerline), otherwise it feels like buying the same feature twice.

I was surprised to see the receipt posted above- Shipping? Since this is software, I'm surprised this isn't being done as an online download with activation, similar to the versions of designer. $12 shipping for what I imagine to be a CD on top of unexpectedly higher price adds a bit of insult to injury. But I can probably live with it.

I'm curious to hear the reviews once the early adopters get their packages in the mail.

Bill
07-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Danni, well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
"Neophytes " someone who has recently become involved in an activity and is still learning about it.

Like Paul has already posted
Centerline will pay for it's self in no time in signs sold vs time for carving by the other methods.

Plus, my experience in 1 1/2 years of selling these, is the people want that deep, crisp text. It sells!

Even if you do not plan on selling your work it is much more pleasing
to the eye, and more appealing

CallNeg151
07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
For us neophytes - what is Centerline? And why do I need it?

Danni

Centerline is a way of carving text as a series of vector cuts using a V-bit. The thickness of the lines is changed by varying the depth of the cut.

You want centerline because it typically carves much faster than Raster text cuts out, and looks very crisp. It can also generate smaller legible text than raster text.

If you're into sign making or other text-intensive applications, the amount of time saved and the crispness of the text make the purchase of Centerline a no brainer. If you're a hobbyist, you might want to search the forum for Centerline, find one of the sample board that Beta testers with Centerline have posted, and carve it for yourself to see if you must have it. You will need a 60 or 90 degree V bit.

dannirr
07-26-2007, 10:36 PM
thank you!

Danni

Durtdawber
07-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I've got to agree with most of you. It was advertised as a feature of the software when you bought the machine now they want $100 for it. I don't think there was ever an official announcement made that it would be $50 so that is just hearsay and cannot be held against LHR. If they had never advertised it as a feature that came with the machine then there would be no discussion...But they did. That's why $100 seems so painful to most.

Also, $12 bucks for shipping...come on!!!!

CallNeg151
07-26-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think there was ever an official announcement made that it would be $50 so that is just hearsay and cannot be held against LHR.

Actually $50 was what a bunch of us were told when we called into LHR, although there was no official announcement. I think that we all more or less understood that that was tentative, especially since we were told six months ago that the feature was "two weeks" away. Nonetheless, I was a bit surprised that the increase was 100% higher than the price that we were expecting.

benluz
07-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I just bought a fullsize shopsabre with toolchanger ,4th axis,dgitizer, and a lot of software.Although a very good dependable machine and I'm well pleased the mike a shopsabre,they use all the componets the 70k to 100 k have and the best price.But Software is through the roof.What I spent on software from other manufactures was almost as much as the machine and not as easy to work as the cw.Take a look at vectric v-varve 395.00.At 100.00 centerline for the software for the cw is a good deal.Remember carvewright has to make money to keep improving the machine that virtually brought cnc to anyone who wanted it......just my opion and a view from another direction.lets help them keep going
Ben

Charles M
07-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Ben,

That's a valid point but I didn't buy my machine as a commercial venture and $100 would buy a lot of wood. Besides, what if you bought the setup with the understanding that centerline was included, then found that you would have to pay an extra chunk of money to purchase it, were kept waiting for it for six months, then told the cost had doubled? I wish I could say "I'll just drink beer on Friday to offset the cost" but, alas, it's too far out of reach for me.

DustyUsr
07-27-2007, 07:22 AM
I really don't know what the problem is, if you can spend that much for the CC then you probably can afford the Software upgrade at $100.00, go figure.
Once I get used to the CC, I will buy the Software, no problem.
Have a GREAT day all.

dannirr
07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I would respectfully suggest to CareWright to adopt the same approach Leica just used.

Leica, for the past 90 years had made what most consider the best cameras and lenses in the world. They finally introduced a digital camera late last year - around $10 000 (body plus lens). Immedietly they had a rash of failures and problems (sound familiar?). They offered the following solution - free repair/replacement PLUS two free infrared filters which are essential as a result of a design flaw not previosuly noticed (value $250) to each owner.

In view of all the problems I have read about with the CW machines, and yet the loyalty of people willing to stick with it, work through it etc, I would suggest that CW give the Centerline upgrade to current owners free. Owners have shown their good faith, CW could do the same.

Sure, Leica is a big company and Carvewright is not - but Leica's digital user base is very, very small - probably less than current CW owners.

Respectfully,

Danni

Semper Fi
07-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I hesitate to express my opinion on this, because the last time I did, I got flamed. Having said that, I recently bought the probe at a higher price than it is now being offered. My bad timing, I know, but the probe wasn't on the "hot seller" list and the price came back down. There is a certain amount of loyalty on the part of the buyer and seller that enables companies to grow. At $12 for S&H this seems like a little on the steep side to me. I would like to be able to use centerline, but I don't make a profit on my work (or even sell it), so this is an expensive feature right now that I guess I'll have to talk myself into (if I can).

Sorry for the rant............. please, it's just my opinion, so no flaming! :)

Ernie

oldjoe
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I just wonder if I could get a free sample I get free samples of Cheerio's and Lucky Charms why not Centerlines :rolleyes: just a couple letters?
I know not going to happen. I have decided to purchase it but I have to wait till my part comes in for my machine first. Bad board sensor just went out no reading at all above 25 so called CW new one on its way talked to T.C. So make sure the machine is back up and running before I buy it, I look at it this way I have invested quite a bit into this project so far and I have seen some return and hopefully alittle more. When I do a project and I have to buy a pattern the money I make off the project pays for the wood and the pattern and the rest to pay for the machine, and now I have a pattern that I can use over and over again. I didn't buy the machine to make a living off of but just to find a hobby that covers it own costs and maybe some minnow money here and there. So another $100 I can will do that I bought the machine on sale anyway so the money I saved there will cover the cost of the new software.
Okay I am done pointlessly rambling boss just walked in have to work now
He thinks I'm actually working ;)

Kenm810
07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes I too thought Centerline Text was included with the machine when I first bought it, and felt a little Betrayed and Disappointed that it wasn’t. Then reading this forum it sounded as if the Centerline software was going to be released as a free Up Grade, Disappointed again. Next the posted Rumors of a $50.00 price tag began to circulate. I started to feel a little Cynical and Peevish. Now it has a $100.00 price tag plus shipping.

And yet, I wanted it, I ordered the Centerline Text in the first 5 or 10 minutes after the announcement was posted that it was being offered. I’ve been waiting for it, and had made up my mind to buy it some time ago, after I had seen and was impressed by how quickly it carved plus the crisp and clean look of the carved Text. Now a dollar here or there is just as important to me as it is to most people, and maybe after a few years of ordering things online has desensitized me a little, and left me half expecting some of the ridicules shipping charges now a days.

I do use the machine at work occasionally, but I bought it primarily as a Hobby Tool. And the CW or CC Machine like most other machines require hardware or software additions or up grades, like the probe scanner, all the extra bits and holders, down draft tables, the oils and lubes, not to mention the Vector patterns and finishing materials. Nearly all hobbies cost money, if you’re a little lucky some even help pay part of the cost of the hobby or at least some of the supplies. I enjoy my hobbies; they’re my self imposed therapy and wouldn’t want to forgo any of them. So I dug a little deeper to find the extra dollars.
And will expect LHR to continue supporting their products. This is not intended to offend anyone. ----- Just my thoughts

liquidguitars
07-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I spent on software from other manufactures was almost as much as the machine and not as easy to work as the cw

I looked at a some of software for the mid size CNC's and was not that impressed overall,
and the price tag was steep, one of the reasons I got the carvewright.

The cost for the plug in is about right “had it not been offered in the start “and the cash will go to new devoment to be sure.

LG

nirmala
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I hesitate to express my opinion on this, because the last time I did, I got flamed. Having said that, I recently bought the probe at a higher price than it is now being offered. My bad timing, I know, but the probe wasn't on the "hot seller" list and the price came back down. There is a certain amount of loyalty on the part of the buyer and seller that enables companies to grow. At $12 for S&H this seems like a little on the steep side to me. I would like to be able to use centerline, but I don't make a profit on my work (or even sell it), so this is an expensive feature right now that I guess I'll have to talk myself into (if I can).

Sorry for the rant............. please, it's just my opinion, so no flaming! :)

Ernie

-- We are currently working on removing the $12.00 shipping charge on the online store for the Centerline text. If you purchase the software at this time it will add the shipping charge. However, you will only be charged for the cost of the Centerline feature ($100) and NOT the $12.00 shipping. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you

newcarver
07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm amazed at all the hostility this subject has brought out. We are all here(in the forum) to discuss and share. My thanks goes out to all the moderators for their efforts, help, and moderation(even if it is harsh at times). Cw has supporters as well as hecklers, as does any company. We ALL have our opinions on the centerline deal going on, some good, some bad. We can not all agree, otherwise this would not be a forum. In my earlier post I tried not to bash anyone. $50 is not $100. Just put forth an opinion. Sorry if that ticked anyone off, but hey. I know software development cost money, as does machine development. I think companies have the tendency to up prices as demand and popularity rise. This sucks for any customer, I guess we will have to live with it, maybe not like it, but deal and live with it non the less. My machine was bought as a hobby, I am simply upset that for a hobby it has become kinda spendy. In our defense(non mods) we were not given centerline option, we simply see it as another cost on top of what we already have invested.

Router-Jim
07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
You can put me down as another member who purchased a CompuCarve with the understanding that it could do centerline. $100 isn't going to break me, but when I buy a product and it states on the box that it can do text and then shows centerline, I expect it to do exactly that.

I've had a number of people view my shop, the machine, and the carvings and I have been a strong supporter of the machine. This text issue just doesn't set well with me.

pkunk
07-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Some of you have declared this an issue that should be taken direct to Carvewright. Others are obviously more civil and unfortunately the two don't balance out. If you can't be civil about this, it will be my perogitive to shut this thread down. So, take your complaints to Carvewright, where, if you're lucky, it might do some good. Complaining here does nothing but create friction. It is what it is.:rolleyes:

oldjoe
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
I have to admit I have not read really anything hostile in this forum most of what I have read is frustration. This not working right or that going wrong. Yet I see a very loyal following to this machine and the company that makes, but all I have to base my opinion on is this forum and what is written here. Yes $100 is a steep price to pay to most of us and we may have been misled in the beginning thinking it would be free but in the beginning they must have had all kinds of problems with it. I think it would have been bad if the LHR would have taken it off in the beginning and then a week later started selling it back to us, but that didn't happen. Or it could be something that we had to buy to make the machine run better but its not its an option.
So in my twisted little mind when I buy it I will be getting something far better than what the early version did. And as far as the increase from 50 to 100 it took them a lot longer to figure out then they planned, and it does sounds like they are listening because they are giving free shipping now.
Now how about an AARP discount :rolleyes:
Just some more of my pointless rambling,

oldjoe
07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh yes I forgot the machine you bought did do center line it just does it in a raster mode. Its all in the way you look at things.
Sorry more pointless rambling.

pkunk
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
OK, fellas-here's the reasons-being as you can't seem to remember.
From the CW Forum Posting policy which you all read (right?) & agreed to...

"Do not expect the CarveWright staff to respond to specific posts on the forum. If you need to talk to CarveWright, please contact us directly."

"Meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsense posts, personal conversations and the like should be posted elsewhere or taken private."