PDA

View Full Version : Drive transport noise

PhotoProf
07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi all...

I'm a new owner and am working through the "little" issues. Is it normal for the machine to make unusual noise (sounds like something needs lubrication... kind of a squealing noise) when the feed belt moves. I hear this most when the measuring process is taking place or the belt is moving more quickly. I don't see any readily accessible lubrication points but this sure doesn't sound like a good situation.

Thanks!

rpringle
07-25-2007, 07:52 AM
PhotoProf,

Your question is difficult to answer.
The machine is loud (about 95 DB's) and it does change sounds as it cuts from diffrent directions.
My unit has a ugly sound (viabration) when it cuts front to back and away from the key pad.
To date it has not caused a problem so I can not see a valid problem for complaint.

I have checked to be sure the bits are tight and changed bit holders.
It may be a problem with desighn of the machine but the carvings are good and fun so I'm not about to complain.

Russ

Kenm810
07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
PhotoProf,

I recall a few posts about traction belts becoming out of alignment and rubber and fraying against the track or inside of the machine, might be the source of the noise. If you can, do a search--- key words (traction belt or gears)
There are several posts and photos on the subject.
Plus a call to CW to be on the safe side wouldn't hurt and might offer a little peace of mind.
CarveWright service Phone Numbers
1-800 573-1226 1-713 473-6545 1-713 473-6572

PhotoProf
07-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Let me be more specific. The noise I hear is prior to carving... only the belt is moving. Belt alignment seems fine with no side tracking issues. I tried a search but did not find any answers for this specific problem. I like the results I'm getting... it's the little things that are issues (like bit locator arm doesn't swing out far enough... tech support has given some ideas but it appears that the wiring at the right side of the machine is hitting the cutting truck as it moves to that location... I finally just put a little shim on the lower right side of the truck and it pushes the arm out).

rpringle
07-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Ken,

I had problem today and when I used the 800-573-1226 number it rang about 40 times and then said "support was not available"
I left a message.
Watied a few minutes and called the 713-473-6572 number which Chris said to use and he answered on the first few rings.
Within less than ten minutes we had an answer to my problem and he is sending a powersupply.

I suspect that management has told them to not answer the 800 number sense it costs them money.

At any rate the ten minute call was an OK answer to my dead machine problem.

Thanks Chris,
Russ Pringle

Kenm810
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
PhotoProf,

Did you mention the sound the machine was making, and did they offer any options on what might be causing it.
I know as my machine starts the measuring processes its sound level increases along with the speed of the gears and belts.
It only started happening after my machine returned from repairs in Texas.
I hadn't expected the increase in measuring speed, to me it was just another pleasant surprise from the folks at LHR.

PhotoProf
07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Ken...
Thanks for your response! I have been in contact with tech support but still haven't resolved the noise issue. When belt moves in forward, sound is pretty much as I would expect but when it backs up, the howling begins. The speed does vary when measuring begins and it doesn't take long for that process to be completed. Everything seems to work ok and the measurements appear to be correct. My concern is that this sound seems to indicate "friction" and that means accelerated "wear" on some part(s). Bottom line: will it wear out while in warranty or will I foot the bill?

Dallas

Kenm810
07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Russ,

Months ago when ever I called CW,
I would get the recorded messages or be put on hold,
then leave a message and wait for a call back.

Lately I too have gotten live answers on the first second or third ring including the 800 number,
I think it might have to do with the time of day or how many Techs are available at a particular moment.
The best time for me is 11:30 AM. eastern time. Lucky maybe http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

peep
07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Their is a new young girl in the tech shop training, and she is quick to answer. She told me its how she learns from our questions. She just stripped the second gear like me, so we became friends, comrads in destruction, members of the broken gear club.

But she still won't come and visit me :(

Peep as Peep

PhotoProf
07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I just got a call from Dave at CW and he did an "auditory" evaluation to the noise issue by having me hold the phone over the machine while it ran the measurement function. He said that machines have a variety of sounds and understood my concern and noted the change in sound but didn't think at this time I needed to do anything about sending the unit in. He also addressed the bit locater bar issue. I had been sending emails but he called to talk with me in person... this is what good customer service is about!

Kenm810
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
PhotoProf,

Quote- (Dave at CW and he did an "auditory" evaluation to the noise issue, He said that machines have a variety of sounds and understood my concern and noted the change in sound but didn't think at this time I needed to do anything about sending the unit in.)

I would recommend saving a copy of your post and date for future reference, in case the problem escalates. Again just for a little information if or when you might have to call on it again. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

In the mean time, I recently saw a post with a photo of the traction belt's drive gears in the background. It might be a good spot to look at as source of the noise or at least to lube.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Kenm810
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
PhotoProf,
I found the photos in a post by Digitalwoodshop, he posted them about a month ago.
He was kind enough to take some great photos and post them as he replaced a striped gear on his machine.
The pictures supply the rest of us carvers with a pretty good look at the inner workings of the machine,
and what to expect if any of the rest of us need to get our fingers greasy http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/misc/paperclip.gif (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/search.php?searchid=52335#) Replacement of the X Stage 2 Gear in Pictures (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3852&highlight=gears)
Digitalwoodshop

PhotoProf
07-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Ken...

Thanks so much for your help/information! I will check out the photographs and see what things look like "under the hood." The carver is a pretty incredible machine! I'm not a carver but this machine allows me to do woodworking operations that would take considerable time and effort not to mention the great accuracy. I teach art at a Midwestern university and the creative potential is incredible. I hope to use the machine to create artwork in wood and make patterns in high density foam for some foundry work.

Digitalwoodshop
07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Ken,

Thanks for passing that along.

AL