PDA

View Full Version : Depth and height of pattern

dannirr
07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this.

If I set a pattern or text within a carve region, I am unsure how the depth and height parameters of the pattern work.

Assume the region has a depth of 0.5 inches.

I understand that the height is relative height of the pattern above it's base (and cannot exceed the height of the surrounding board). But I am unclear as to the depth of the pattern. Is the depth setting relative to the original height of the board, or relative to the base of the region? Will a depth of 0.2 mean that the depth of the carving is now 0.7 inches below the level of the board?

Thanks

Danni

Greybeard
07-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi Danni.
Before I confuse you (and me) further with references to depth and height, may I suggest the easiest way to get the hang of this is to play a bit with the software.
The key to this is moving the mouse over anthing you've put on the board as the actual "z" position of the cursor is given (along with the x and y )at the bottom of the window on the status bar.
Watch this as you move around the board, and compare it to the info given for any item you've got selected in the top right of the window.

The other point is about the depth of text. This is always linked to the top surface of the board, and you can't drop it into the bottom of a carved region.
I'm not sure if there is a workaround for this yet, but I'm sure someone will give us a "heads up" if there is.
Regards
John

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Danni,

'Depth', sets how far down into the board the pattern will carve, this is measured from the top of the board. You can think of it as setting a depth where the bottom of the pattern will set.

'Height' is like a gain control. It stretches the pattern vertically but only until it reaches the top of the board, then entering larger numbers for gain will have no effect.

There have been more elaborate explanations given, but I think that sums it up. You can use the 'Search' feature to look for a more in depth description if your curious.