PDA

View Full Version : New pattern editor available

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
CarveBetter Pattern Editor V0.11

One of the strengths and weaknesses of the CarveWright/CompuCarve system is the use of ‘patterns’. Patterns are like 3d clip-art which allows one to quickly and easily create 3d projects, simply by selecting patterns and placing them on the board layout in the Designer software. As we users have come to understand, these patterns basically a gray-scale bitmap image, where the shade of grey of a given point determines the height of that point.

I’ve set out to create a 3rd party pattern editor for the CarveWright/Compucarve machine. Quite a bit of time has been spent reverse-engineering the .ptn (pattern) file format which seemed like the logical first step. The idea being that if patterns could be converted to a typical lossless, (i.e. not JPG) image format, then the pattern could be edited, in a limited manner, with any photo editing software. After a lot of effort it is finally possible to decode a pattern and save it as a GIF, BMP, or PNG file. I decided to release the CarveBetter Pattern Editor in a pre-V1 form, as just the format conversion utility since this functionality is simply not available anywhere else at this time. Work is currently underway to improve the conversion to the BMP and GIF formats as well as recognizing the transparent regions of the pattern. Next, will come the ability to convert common image formats into patterns. Drawing tools will also be added to allow editing a pattern. If there is a pattern editing feature that you think would be really useful, just let me know and I’ll see if I can work it in.

EDIT: For the lastest version follow this link: http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=834#834

NOTE: It is being released as ‘Shareware’. In order to make this package available it is necessary to not only obtain development software, but also to purchase the needed server space to distribute it. If you find the software useful and would like to encourage further development please consider sending in a donation, a link is included in the documentation.

More information here: http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=794#794

eagle1
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
[quote=Jeff_Birt;27983]CarveBetter Pattern Editor V0.11

..............I’ve set out to create a 3rd party pattern editor for the CarveWright/Compucarve machine..............

Jeff when do you sleep?????? You are always on top of your game. Glad to be part of this forum ....... folks like you make it all worth while

Thanks,

Dean

Charles M
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Wow Jeff!! That's awesome! Email on the way. I am really thankful for your work on this and look forward to a complete package. And now Paul has even more reason for advocating the posting of PTNs rather than MPCs.

oldjoe
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Jeff I think you should get a hobby. Have you ever thought of wood carving. I here they have a machine that does that and its hooked up to a calculator or something like that
:rolleyes:

Good job I am sure I will email you just as soon as the honey dew list is done for the summer.
Thanks again

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I did not reverse engineer LHR's software, that would not be legal. File formats are completely different, as it is just an arrangement of YOUR data, provided that is not not encrypted/compressed with a proprietary scheme. For example, the GIF file format uses a patented compression algorithm, consequently if you want to write a GIF encoder/decoder you have to pay royalties. There is nothing in the PTN, MPW or MPC formats that is so protected.

I am a moderator, but I have NO connection to LHR/CW. I just volunteer my time to help with the forum.

I sent the wrong link to three folks today, but I think I did send a second correct link to them. If you did not get the correct link let me know.

Dave-Carve
07-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Another new toy to play with :D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!
I NEED ONE OF THEM:p
Thanks Jeff Got It, Will Play !!! ASAP

Digitalwoodshop
07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
For the second time this week I must say I am just about "Speachless".... Jeff.... WOW.... Electronics, Programming, Hardware..... What's your day job.... Some Fortune 500 company should snatch you up.... And pay you for your vast knowledge...

Count me in....

AL

DustMe
07-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Jeff,

The tool is awesome! I took a PTN file that had a few rough spots, saved it as a PNG file and was then able to clean it up in Corel.

Nice work and thank you very much!

Steve

Jeff_Birt
07-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback Steve. Stay tuned, the next version should be ready in 2-3 weeks :p

Durtdawber
07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Hope this is helpful. It happens when I click on a PTN to open.

Error Text
---------------------------

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'MilCore.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at MS.Win32.PresentationCore.UnsafeNativeMethods.MILF actory2.CreateFactory(IntPtr& ppIFactory, UInt32 SDKVersion)
at System.Windows.Media.FactoryMaker..ctor()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalette.CreateI nternalPalette()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalette..ctor(W ICPaletteType paletteType, Boolean addtransparentColor)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalettes.FromMI LPaletteType(WICPaletteType type, Boolean hasAlpha)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalettes.get_Gr ay256Transparent()
at CarveBetter_Pattern_Editor_V0._11.Form1.btnOpen_Cl ick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
CarveBetter Pattern Editor V0.11
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/JBSoft/CarveBetter%20V0.11%20installer/CarveBetter%20Pattern%20Editor%20V0.11.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
PresentationCore
Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.0 (vista_rtm_wcp.061020-1904)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/JBSoft/CarveBetter%20V0.11%20installer/PresentationCore.DLL
WindowsBase
Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.0 (vista_rtm_wcp.061020-1904)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/JBSoft/CarveBetter%20V0.11%20installer/WindowsBase.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Jeff_Birt
07-26-2007, 05:55 PM
You MUST have the .NET 3.0 framework installed. You can download it thorugh Windows Update or here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10CC340B-F857-4A14-83F5-25634C3BF043&displaylang=en

There is also a link in the documentation.

newcarver
07-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Good tool, cant wait to see future upgrades

HerbO
07-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Had the same error and gave Jeff an email. He said to update to 3.0 .net framework. If you look in your control panel under Add and Remove programs you should see .Net Framework 1.1 & 2.0 and hopefullly 3.0. If you do not see it go to Windows update and download it. After the 3.0 install the program works Great!!
Thanks Jeff!

Herb

Lin
07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
There is also an update for 3.0 I had 3.0 but still got the error...went online and checked...and update to the update...lol
Now its' all good. Thanks Jeff. I haven't had a chance to tinker with it much but looks like you are on to something.
Lin

Durtdawber
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
I installed 3.0 and that fixed it. Thanks.

TerryT
07-27-2007, 01:52 PM
The program works very well. I was wishing I could get a pic back from a couple of patterns, saves me from starting all over again. Great program.

Terry

liquidguitars
07-29-2007, 03:50 PM
thanks Jeff for a cool job!

LG

Digitalwoodshop
07-29-2007, 10:19 PM
That update 3.0 fixed my error too. Now if I just knew how to use it??? I opened a PTN and changed the preview and saw the changes then re saved it as a PTN.

I am new to editing. Am I going to take the PTN into Corel Photo? Or do I take a bit map and change it to a PTN?

How about a editing primer for the editing "Challenged" guys like me....

I should search too....

Thanks,

AL

Feels like I am learning to drive again.... OK.... You push in the Clutch before you turn the ignition key or after.... LOL.....

Jeff_Birt
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Al, right now only the conversion from PTN to BMP, GIF, or PNG works. So you can 'Open File', open a pattern file and then 'Save File' select file type as PNG (for now GIF and BMP don't work well on V0.11). You can then edit the pattern in PhotoShop or another stndard graphics package. The preview radio buttons only show you what the saved file will look like.

I plan on doing some tutorials later on, when some more editing features are added.

Hawg_man
07-30-2007, 01:53 PM
There is also an update for 3.0 I had 3.0 but still got the error...went online and checked...and update to the update...lol
Now its' all good. Thanks Jeff. I haven't had a chance to tinker with it much but looks like you are on to something.
Lin

I downloaded version 3.0 and still same error.......where did you find a newer version than 3.0...........did a google and could not locate it.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I used the link in post 11 above for me.

AL

Hawg_man
07-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks Al...........I downloaded version 3.0 yesterday using my Windows Update so assumed it was the latest........went back to Windows update a few minutes ago and it shows a new update on version 3.0

Bob

Lin
07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Bob, I checked before installing and it showed I had 3.0 Still got the error after installing and went to Windows update and found another update for 3.0. Installed it and then it's all good now.
Lin

Jeff_Birt
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
While I've had some issues on one machine installing .NET 3.0 through Windows Update. The direct link in post #11 (I think) will allow you to downlaod it directly. If you have problems after insatalling it might help to uninstall it and try with the direct download.

Fireman Phil
07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey Jeff,

I would like to thank you for all the help you have given to myself and I'm sure many others over the last year or so. This program sounds terrific and I am excited to try it.

Thanks Again,

Phil

Jeff_Birt
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Just a quick note for Vista users. Vista has .NET 3.0 built in so you will not need to install anything else, the program should just run after you install it. However, if you are running the 64bit version of Vista, unfortunately your out of luck, the program won't work for you. It is my understanding that 64bit Vista requires all applications to be digitally signed, (PITA, but a very good idea for better security), I have not plans at this time to try go through the process of getting the application signed.

b.sumner47
07-31-2007, 06:36 PM
for some reason i cant install the .NET 3.0 can anyone give me some help? i have windows 2000 professional:confused:

Hawg_man
08-01-2007, 04:18 AM
I had a problem when I tried to download it direct from a link..........Use your Windows Update feature and select custom............it worked for me.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
.NET 3.0 is not available for Windows 2000, you need to have XP with SP2.

BobHill
08-01-2007, 10:16 AM
There is a "new" beta .net 3.5 available and it works just fine with my system and Jeff's pattern editor. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx

I'm also finding that the PNG is the best way to use the pattern, as it's far less of a "paint by numbers" 8bit raster image (PNG allows 24bit but in shades of gray contrast). GIF, of course is strictly 8bit in all cases and BMP is sort of in between PNG and GIF.

Bob

b.sumner47
08-01-2007, 06:05 PM
thank you jeff and hawg

JOHNB
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I Just Downloaded And Used Jeffs Pattern Editor And All I Can Say Is Wow, Very Nice And Extremely Useful. Well Worth A Donation. A Big Big Help In Playing With The Patterns. If You Cant Afford The Probe (as Me) With Its Attached Editor This Is The Next Best Thing. Use It With The Free Paint.NET Program.

Jeff_Birt
08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Please see the posts below for the latest version.

In order to make the distribution easier I have decided to upload the new version here: http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=834#834. As, always please ask questions and provide lots of feedback. More details at the link above..

CarveBetter V0.23

First, what the heck is it? CarveBettter Pattern Editor allows you to open a CarveWright PTN file and save it as a BMP, GIF or PNG image. The resultant files are an 8-bit grey scale image where white is the highest points on the pattern and black is the lowest, (OK, really they are saved as a 32-bit image but all three color channels are the same resulting in grey scale with 8-bit resolution). This gives you the ability to edit patterns in a regular photo editing software.

This version of CarveBettern Pattern Editor brings with it some bug fixes and great new functionality. The qualities of the exported GIFs and BMPs have been drastically improved and are now on par with the PNG format. Transparent backgrounds are also now working in the PNG and GIF formats, the BMP format does not have this capability. It is now also possible to convert PNGs to a pattern! Support for other formats is on the way. Best of all there is no size limitation, as there is in Designer. If you use File->Import Image in Designer it will automatically scale any image over 640 pixels (X or Y) to 640 pixels. This means that all the artwork for patterns you have been creating is reduced in quality when imported if it is over 640 pixels in one axis.

Announcing a great new feature for probe users, ‘Life-Size’! Many probe users have scanned something like a pistol grip so they could carve one out of a more exotic wood. When the pattern resulting from the scan is placed on the board in Designer it is always significantly smaller than the original. You can enlarge the pattern in Designer by dragging it out, but it is very difficult to get irregular shaped items full size. The problem is caused by the difference in the scanning and carving resolutions of the machine. One click on the ‘Life-Size’ button will scale the pattern back to the size of the original (Edit: if scanned in hi-quality mode). If you have the need to scale a pattern to some other dimension (it will default to this dimension when placed on the board in Designer), you can type a new measurement into either the pixels or inches display (either axis), and the pattern will be scaled. Un-checking the ‘Locked’ checkbox will allow independently scaling an axis.

Enjoy!

BobHill
08-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I haven't tried it yet, but will tomorrow, for sure.

Bob

liquidguitars
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Nice!,

I was adding location dots on my work to deal with the resizing ot the images,
time to try some superbitmaps!

Thanks Jeff!

LG

BobHill
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Jeff,
A great upgrade, but wow, is it ever hard on my tired old eyes. Dark blue text on a black or dark gray background on my 1280x1024 display screen is really tough to read, albeit the open image is no problem at all. Any chance of changing your contrast levels on the program background? I do like what you've done with it to this point. A very handy tool, particularly for making addition or elimination changes in an outside program for use with Designer Pattern Editor with it's tools prior to you putting in your own.
Bob

Jeff_Birt
08-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, the UI really stinks. I'm working on fixing it up right now, the new background will be monochrome for sure.

Jeff_Birt
09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
CarveBetter PatternEditor V0.25, 'Things are looking better....'

The most important change in this version is the new user interface (UI). The last release V0.23 was quite ugly and very hard to read on certain monitors. The new user interface of V0.25 has a simple solid grey background with slightly off white text. The goal was to make a UI that was easy on the eyes and whose buttons and text took a backseat to the graphic being edited. The tool bar responds to mouse movement by enlarging the button nearest the mouse, the goal being to make it easier to click on small toolbar buttons. The ability to select the scan quality for the ‘Life-Size’ button was also added.

Installation
CarveBetter Pattern Editor installs and works much like any other Windows program, it should work on Windows XP, 2003 Server, and Vista. CarveBetter requires the Microsoft .NET framework 2 and 3. The installer now detects if you have these components installed and will automatically download and install them if you do not. NOTE: These packages are quite large and can take a while to download from MicroSoft. To install, run ‘setup.exe’ (in the CarveBetter folder) to install the program. The installation will not remove any previous versions of CBPE. You can have multiple versions installed if you wish. To remove old versions use the Add-Remove programs utility in the Control Panel.

Bug fixes
There are a few bug fixes in this version. The height pre-scalar was not displayed correctly when a pattern was loaded; this has now been fixed. The open folder dialog now automatically reverts back to the last folder opened instead of the C drive. It has also been reported (and verified) that repeatedly pressing the ‘Life-Size’ button will cause the program to crash. This is now a known issue and it will be taken care of in the near future (there are several related changes that need to be done to fix it.)

You can download CarveBettern Pattern Editor here(go down to last post):http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=836#836

BobHill
09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
It says that I can only edit my own posts when I open that URL, Jeff.

Bob

mtylerfl
09-07-2007, 02:36 PM
It says that I can only edit my own posts when I open that URL, Jeff.

Bob

Hello Bob,

After you get that message, just click on the "Click here to return to the topic" and you will be taken to the correct page.

Jeff_Birt
09-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I had the link to the page where the post is edited instead of the post itself. I just fixed it. Thanks for catching that Bob!

BobHill
09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
That did it, Michael. Thanks.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
As some may know there is a limit to the file size of a pattern (*.ptn) file when importing it into your 'Favorites'. Since CBPE now lets you create large patterns it can be easy to run up over this limit. I was chatting with another CW owner last evening who was having this trouble. The worst part about trying to import too large a pattern is that is can cause Designer to crash.

I did some experimentation last night and found that the limit is a pattern size around 750K. This does not translate directly into the pixel size of the pattern as the pattern data is compressed. In the future I will have CBPE display a warning when the generated pattern is over 750K.

This same limit applies when using the probe software to generate patterns.

Jeff_Birt
10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I know some of you with 64-bit operating systems have not been able to run CBPE. Thanks to Dale Laizure, and his feedback I found out what the issue was and have recompiled CBPE V0.25 to force it to run in 32bit mode even on 64 bit systems. So, if you are using XP-64bit or Vista-64bit you should now be able to use CBPE. You can download it in the same place:

http://www.allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=836#836

Note: this is the same version as before, just compiled a bit differently. Take a look at the included users guide to get a feel for which functions are working and which are not.