PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a CC a few minutes ago at my local Sears store - Have questions

Ivanq
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I chose Sears as opposed to direct from CW due to the fact I can return for exchange or a refund if it has too many initial problems. There was also about $100 difference in price.

I have, over the last several days, read almost all of the forum posts that I could get access to and I learned a lot thanks to all of the helpful people on these forums. In fact one of the main reasons that I bought the machine was the willingness of forum members to share their knowledge and experiences. CW should give you folks some kind of gratuity because I’m sure I’m not the only one that has been swayed into a purchase because of the forums.

So, obviously, I’m a newbie and as such I do have a few questions. I do have some background in woodworking but I’ve never carved anything, ever. I’m retired now and I hope this will become an avocation/hobby of sorts.

Here’s a start list of my questions.

What is the CCM error?
What type of wood should I use for learning the machine? Can you use white pine just as a learning medium?
When I get my machine should I use the Moly before first use or is that already done on the new machines?
Any suggestions on tasks I should first do after I get the machine out of the box?

Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for giving me your time.

Kenm810
07-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Some kind of gratuity - Na I'd settle for Centerline carved Fonts
First --Welcome to the forum
CCM = Check Cut Motor
White pine is a good learning medium. Save the better woods till after you get a feel for the machine
after you get the machine out of the box check the Flex-Shaft and if necessary lube with Gunk ind chain lube with Moly please!
A few machines arrived with no lube or improperly lubed Flex-Shafts -- can and will over heat
there are load of folks here to answer questions and the Search option can save your sanity on occasion.

Digitalwoodshop
07-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Darn Ken... Your quick.... I finish typing and you already posted.... Good Job.....

CCM error.... Check Cut Motor. There is a sensor on the motor to tell the computer what the speed is and helps control the motor speed and I believe slow the cut rate if it is bogging down. Some have the CCM error and it is proving to be difficult to fix. For the most part I believe you press enter and off it goes again.

I use 99% kiln dried white pine with a little Cedar decking and some PVC plastic board. Yes Pine can make a nice project but Oak, Cherry, Walnut and others have made some VERY Fine projects.

You could use the Molly on the drive cable but too much of a good thing is bad. Use it with care and remove excess with a lint free cloth, not a paper towel leaving fine chunks of paper or lint in the cable.

Check the screws for tightness.

Have the things like Blue Loc Tite, Light Grease, Molly Lube, and RTV for maintenance.

Things to have later.... Extra sand paper belts, extra X or sand paper drive secondary stage drive gear, extra quick acting chuck, a wrench to remove the chuck and a square drive wrench to hold the drive. All available from CarveWright.

Watch out for the Shop Vac static electricity, some vacuums are better than others for this.

And you came to the right place.

Need a quick answer, check the search function, post or PM or e-mail someone.

Good Luck,

AL

digitalwoodshop@aol.com

Dave-Carve
07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Im With Ken Centerline :D
I try one of your questions
First carve HUMMMM Ok
Take a 7x10X1/2 (or whatever)pine board Smooth, striaght, Flat and square.
Open Desinger Program Load board Simplly Hit text icon select raster Type Your Name Or "First Carve "and "Date". Upload to card slide card in machine turn on machine press all nessary arrows and Buttons to start the machine. let machine start to carve . And Have a seat away from machine !!! If you can stay seated untill carving is done (without looking into the top cover) I will send you a crisp 100 dollar bill.
(must take video from start to finish for proof of seated time)
Only Kidding!!!
The biggest mistake Ive seen or heard on this forum is that new owners try things that are to complex for there first carve. Its like there buying a hammer and Now going to build a 3 story mansion on the hill!!!!
Have fun making a mess with the dust. Take it slow and advance with each carve. Any help needed is always here on this forum These are great people helping people 2nd 2 NONE!!!!
Youll Love It
Good Luck

Dave-Carve
07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
But I just Read my post above and I SOUND LIKE A SALESMAN
I am Not a salesman

Gman_Ind
07-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Dave-carve I liked your comments we here are ready and able to help, this is a great bunch of enthusiasts.