PDA

View Full Version : Interested but cautious

steve2007
07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,
This machine looks like something i've wanted for a long time. I've been reading the board for the last couple of days and I must say i'm somewhat concerned by what i've been reading. I understand that this is a relatively new machine, and that some issues are understandable, especially early in manufacturing, but if i'm not mistaken the machine officially went into production about seven months ago, but I seem to be seeing the same issues with current machines that were present in the initial runs. To me, this points to design flaws, not manufacturing issues.

$2000 is a lot of money to me. In order for me to justify spending that much the machine has to be reliable, VERY reliable. It seems to me that after seven months of the same issues coming up the designers should have come up with a design that avoids them completely.

It's not my intention to be hostile. I'm concerned because I want one of these but I won't buy it if I see the same problems coming up again and again.

Is there anything that was changed from the initial batch, either with the design or with manufacturing, that would indicate the manufacturer is actiively trying to solve the problems, or are they just chasing their tail with the same design and the same problems over and over on a case by case basis?

Thanks for your help.
Steve

oldjoe
07-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I too was very worried about the CC. Only typical of me I did things backwards. I ordered my first machine then I started reading the forum. I was started wondering what was I getting into. All I read about were problems. So when my first machine came I was nervous with it especially when one of the first things I did was crank the head up to far small mistake but at the time I was really nervous thought I broke it before I even used it. But I reread the manual and it was just a simple fix. Then I tried running before walking and tried doing a picture. when I saw how it turned out I was like this machine was not worth it but after reading the forum I did some smaller projects and I was hooked. But then after my 8th or so project it died this time on its own no help from me. It was decession time return it for a new or refund. I opted to try one more machine and It has been running great. Few glitches here and there but all have been my fault. :eek: Still having difficulty with pictures but as far as patterns that I have come up with on my own or bought the work is beautiful
So as far as buying one if you wait and watch you can save $$ by getting one on sale. If you buy one and you don't like it Sears will give you your money back. Or if you buy one and have problems the people at LHR are really great to deal with.
So after all that it is your call
Sorry this got so long I'm sitting here and the CC is humming away as I type
Joe

newcarver
07-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I to was a skeptic. I usualy do not buy new items like this that are younger than a year or 2. I have had my share of issues. If you do buy one from sears its 90 days to bring it back, then your on your own. LHR does not offer an extended warrenty, 200 hrs or 1 year wichever comes first. LHR has gotton better with customer service(faster response time), I am on my 3rd z-motor pack, 2nd boars sensor, and 2nd set of sandpaper belts. The parts are not made as well as they could be or not tested well enough. I love the machine, but have had at least $100 in wood destroyed by errors and breakdowns. It has its ups and downs, unless your handy with a few art programs, you'll have to buy patterns or search forums for free submissions.
I am not "bashing" the machine,ust being honest and giving you more info.

steve2007
07-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Apparently there hasn't been any change in the design that would avoid what seems to be common and frequent breakdowns.

I'm trying to consider the long term aspects of owning this machine. As good as the tech support may be, if it's not likely the machine will perform trouble free through its warranty period (1 year/200 hours) I can imagine what ownership will be like when I have to start paying for repairs....and it's not pretty.

I'm hopefully awaiting demonstration of proactive and effective resolution of the known reliability issues of this machine. My fingers are crossed and my wallet is closed.

Dave-Carve
07-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Its Kinda Like Buying a New car for XXXXXX dollars sure you get the warranty and the lemon laws,
But who knows if you get a lemon or a diamond
Ive paid thousands for new cars that DO NOT perform 100 percent.
they all have there little defects, and quirks but we live with them and get them fixed.
Same holds true for Toys Tools Motorcycles Boats etc.

I Say go for it , You only Live Once, You get NO second Chance,

Ive had my CC for apx 6 months Only have had minor selfmade problems.
If you have any problems THIS FORUM is SECOND TO NONE as for help and Information.

Myself I have nevercalled Tech Support Dont Need It With these guys !!

Sure Americans could make a better machine IN THE USA But you wouldnt be buying it for Under $2000.00 Why "We WILL NOT WORK THAT CHEAP!!!"

Just My Thoughts

steve2007
07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Dave, what are you trying to do to me? Have you no decency??

Steve

Dave-Carve
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Sorry got a little carried amay !!!!!!!!!!

Gman_Ind
07-23-2007, 09:00 PM
The money for this is not cheap, but a real good deal if you consider what is capable of. I have added so much to what I can build it is unbelievable.
I really want LHR to be a success I hope they come out with a newer larger version with these bugs worked out so we can spend more of our forum time showing off our new cool carvings and less time discussing errors. I am on machine #2 and it went to Texas for an overhaul. I have chiping away since then, a few minor glitches I was able to work through. Most issues can be solved on here but one call back from an LHR tech and my machine started working on its own. I think it was afraid of another stay in the hospital.
If you have the $ to truly play with this is a great toy, (don't tell the Mrs. I said that) and BTW the Mrs. bought mine as payment for her project.