PDA

View Full Version : Center Line Again

RickC
07-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi all.. I noticed some postings from those using Center Line. I just received my Carvewright about 3 weeks ago and have been using the packaged version of software 1.120.

I downloaded a demo version from a posted forum link that was to be 1.028 but it gave me 1.029.

Although this has center line there is a major problem with 99% cpu usage whenever I open the text window to work on font selection etc. Although it is usable it can take several minutes for me just to enter a single line of text due to the extreme slow down. I loaded 1.029 on another computer and it does the same.

Would anyone know of a link or have available another demo or registerable version with center line other than 029 in the hopes the text windows work properly as does my new version 1.120.

Thanks..

http://www.fultoncountyny.com/cgdesign/CGD_webSig.gif

Kenm810
07-21-2007, 09:15 AM
RickC,

Welcome to the forum,
I've been playing a little with the same 029 centerline you have seen,
just to see and get a feel for what it could do and look like in some of my carvings,
Without slow downs.
I'm still waiting with the rest of the folks here for the updated release. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

pkunk
07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Centerline is still being developed & only was provided to Beta testers in the full version. It is a CPU and memory hog. I notice some slowdown on my new Mac, my 2 year old Mac couldn't handle it. My new windows laptop with dual processors and 1 gig of ram slows down to a crawl and sometimes the program crashes if the letters are too large. That's the way it is. :)

Dave-Carve
07-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Works good for me didnt notice any slow down.
Just takes a while to load welcome screen after that just as fast as updated version ???

Am I Missing Something ???

RickC
07-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes Dave-Carve.. Seems some of us have a problem using 1.029 when entering text. Computer comes to an almost hault, can take 5 min to enter line of text a character at a time. I get around it by using 1.120, which works fine, by doing my design and text then saving the file. I then open the file with .029 and select edit text which is still slow but since I am editing a whole line at a time it is faster than entering text one character at a time. Once I select edit text I click on the Center Line radio button choose my bit and save.

If you are using .029 and not having problems there must be something different in mine and yours. I tried mine on another comp and on my notebook, all having the same problem. I would like to get a working .029 or .028 or any working one with centerline.

Charles M
07-21-2007, 10:51 AM
No slow downs for me either and I'm pretty sure I used the same version that you found (.029). Maybe you have some corrupt font files causing it?

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
How fast is your computer? How much RAM?. With a P4 and 1 Gig of RAM. Running XP. I have not seen the slow down.

I do hit save after every 2 or 3 changes as I have had it crash if I select something and hit delete.

AL

pkunk
07-21-2007, 10:01 PM
It's pretty fast. Believe me, you don't want to do too many signs with really large centerline. Here's a pic of a sample for a 3ft x 5ft sign with 6 1/2" letters. I use a 1" wide 90° signmaker bit. The letters wind up being almost 1/2" deep.

Lin
07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I haven't tried using centerline yet at all for a carving. What bit is normally used for centerline? I have the older version and also found that if I tinkered to much going back and forth changing the font and such I had my system throw the gui error also. Thats when I realized it must be a memory hog and why it became unavailabe in the newer versions. I can have three graphics program open on my system working between them and not have a problem. The centerline text is the first time I have had any type of issue with my system wanting to lock up like that.
Lin

oldjoe
07-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I know its late and I am not sure why I am asking this but if centerline text is such a big problem for your computer to handle then why does it do outlining with little or no problems? I was just curious trying to comfigure one line sounds easier than configuring 2 lines that go around the first line. :confused:

Lin
07-22-2007, 01:50 AM
oldjoe, Don't really know. I'm sure there are folks on the board that do know. Puter savy I'm not. Thinking becasue its vector instead of raster might be part of it...but I figure more so it's in the software programming that causs it. Might explain why they still haven't been able to release it for sale yet. LHR might be still having problems getting it to run right within designer without issue. When I use vector drawing within my graphics programs I don't have a problem and the few times I have drawn vector lines with in designer itself I haven't had any issues...so...??
A glitch that LHR is still working on I imagine.
Lin

pkunk
07-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Centerline text is not quite as simple as some might have you think. For very small text it basically follows a line like a pen drawing. As the text gets larger & deeper, the software has to program the machine to take progressively deeper & wider cuts to prevent overloading the motor & flexshaft. In my example the time for those 3 letters was over 20 minutes. Each letter had maybe 6-8 passes(I didn't count). The processor works really hard during all that line drawing. Small text is not such a hog & also carves considerably quicker.

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2007, 09:31 AM
With the 1 inch 90 degree bit, what did you select in Designer?

Nice Sign, good info to know. That's the direction my business is going.

AL

pkunk
07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
The 1/2" 90° v-bit.

pkunk
07-22-2007, 11:05 AM
This is the bit-note the rounded bottom. That is the key to not getting a 'W' shape at the bottom of the carved letters where they are wider.

rjustice
07-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Paul,
Are these the CW bit shapes, or ones that you substituted?.. I am going to offer small bits to do centerline engraving, and was going to run to a sharp point. I was unaware that they needed a slight flat at the bottom, but it makes sense now that i read your post. It really isnt a problem to do it, but wasnt aware.

Ron

pkunk
07-22-2007, 11:18 AM
If you read my other posts in this thread.....for very large text.

newcarver
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I still think outline might be easier and quicker from the sound of it

Gary
07-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi, All,

My 3 year old lap top acts like a Model T, so I built a new computer, my first build since 1995. Remember Win 95? I used it in my sound recording studio back then. New computer cost the same as the one back then. Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs ram, dual 160 gig hds in raid 0 config, and nVidiaGEForce 8800GTS 640MB video card. Built to run CAD/CAM, CarveWright, and Flight Sim. I'm figuring out the overclocking right now.. It's funny, computer cost 1600 bucks in 1995, laptop cost 1600 bucks in 2004, and this one cost $1600. It should buzz through all the carvewright computations, and everything else I throw at it. If this recipe works out like it should, I'd be happy to pass it on.

Gary

RickC
07-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Well the idea offered of a possible bad font file may have been but I tried the same program on different computers, another of my office computers, my wifes, and my notebook. All with different setups etc and the problem showed on all.

As for my computer it has 2 gig ram, runs at 3.0 Over Clocked to 3.6 GHZ Duel Core and 2 256 meg Nvidia Graphics cards. I use this machine for graphic art and design of large files. It is no slouch. Besides I have no problems with the new 1.120.

The only thing I think is that the download I got of 1.029 may have glitched during download or the one I downloaded had a problem.

If someone with a working centerline version of 1.028 or 9, with no font window lag, could possibly e-mail me a link or attachment It would be appreciated. At least I would eliminate the thoughts that the program has a problem and I can look elsewhere. This should not be a violation of (C) etc. since it is a demo or if one has a regesterable version I could legaly register it as I do own a Carvewright.

Thank you all for your ideas it is appreciated.. You make a new member feel at home. :D

Dave-Carve
07-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Rick
Have a Monster laptop Computer W/2 22" monitors plus 17" monitor on laptop used as 1-2-3 can move to each monitor w/mouse different programs makes eveything simple and easy!!
I have had Forum on Monitor #1 ,Mont #2 =1.120, Monitor #3 1.028 .
I make centerline on .028 copy and paste to .120 run patterns window and tools on center monitor along with forum (most of time) some times have phhoto editor up on center its easier to copy and paste into .120 just to see what carve is really looking like , then touch up and re copy and paste into .120.

This is all done on a laptop. and I cant see the diffrent speeds in program unless it a Text hog like the "Firefighters Prayer" (Earlier Post)

Wow Where is this going Got carryed away :)

Anyway I dont think it is your computer slowing you down It may be your WINDOWS FONT File

Take a look at c:\windows\fonts I have over 600 different fonts .and it seems to run fine
How many fonts you have actully SLOWS program down as these load when you program loads, How many do you use ??? Move unused fonts to seprate folder and try program again.(Should keep all TTF and System Fonts) most of the others are just versions of TTF ..
Just take a bunch of them and move to seprate folder try program then move them back try program again.
If this helps try getting the ones you dont use into a seprate folder .
Iwouldnt advise deleting them just get them out of C:\windows\fonts folder or C\windows\system\fonts.
I get carreid away explaining this sorry for the lenght of my post
(P/S could go on for ever :rolleyes:
Good luck!!!

RickC
07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Dave-Carve.. I will check file size and trim it up. I may have well over 600. I use Corel Draw and as you I use multi monitors.. really a must have. I rarely use more than 50 or so fonts on a regular basis and intended to thin them out for some time, but since I never had problems it was on a back burner. I will do as you recommend later today and let all know of my results..

Thanks..

Gman_Ind
07-23-2007, 02:39 PM
The vector paths generated from the fonts are really amazing feat.
I found that some fonts carve really bad or slow, My sis wanted a handwritten looking font that was terrible to carve many small cuts it looked like raster being cut.
I found some nice looking and fast cutting fonts and stick with them. Bookman antique I think. I had a script (cursive looking) that froze every time I used it , I deleted it.
I have a CD with 1000 fonts and go to Dafont.com for supplemental fonts.
And yes the name on the installer is different from the version that installs, thats how I downloaded it over a year ago.

Andy C
07-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Center line was there all the time. Day after I placed my order got a call from Carvewright with the activation code and I was set.

It is a bit slow. I have dual 2.4 ghz processors and 4 gig of memory and I could see the slow down, but no freeze ups.

Bottom line, for me, it was worth the wait, both for the release and for the computer.

The results are great.

Andy

pkunk
07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Center line was there all the time. Day after I placed my order got a call from Carvewright with the activation code and I was set.

It is a bit slow. I have dual 2.4 ghz processors and 4 gig of memory and I could see the slow down, but no freeze ups.

Bottom line, for me, it was worth the wait, both for the release and for the computer.

The results are great.

Andy
I've mentioned this before. The larger the sign made with centerline the longer the processing time & the time needed to compile the project to the card. Each letter on my BIG sign had 10-12 passes of the bit & that is programmed as you work on the project. Save often-for if there are many components it will crash on you sooner or later. The carving it's self is considerably faster than raster, though.

benluz
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Well the idea offered of a possible bad font file may have been but I tried the same program on different computers, another of my office computers, my wifes, and my notebook. All with different setups etc and the problem showed on all.

As for my computer it has 2 gig ram, runs at 3.0 Over Clocked to 3.6 GHZ Duel Core and 2 256 meg Nvidia Graphics cards. I use this machine for graphic art and design of large files. It is no slouch. Besides I have no problems with the new 1.120.

The only thing I think is that the download I got of 1.029 may have glitched during download or the one I downloaded had a problem.

If someone with a working centerline version of 1.028 or 9, with no font window lag, could possibly e-mail me a link or attachment It would be appreciated. At least I would eliminate the thoughts that the program has a problem and I can look elsewhere. This should not be a violation of (C) etc. since it is a demo or if one has a regesterable version I could legaly register it as I do own a Carvewright.

Thank you all for your ideas it is appreciated.. You make a new member feel at home. :D

I run the same graphics card with a dual core...similar setup and no slow down noticed.
Ben

dominulus
08-25-2007, 04:09 PM
rjustice,

I sense that for highly detailed centerline engraving -- say in the style of Thomas Bewick (see image below) -- the smaller and sharper the bit, the better.

d.

rjustice
08-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Just finished up a batch of 1/8" shank 60 degree "V" to a sharp point today if you are interested!

Several are combination tools... in other words 1/16 or 1/8 ball on one end, engraving bit on the other end of the same tool. Also some .05 square on one end and engraving on the other.

Ron