PDA

View Full Version : Drilling question

oldjoe
07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Is it possible for the CC to drill tiny holes to run fiber optic filaments thru them to enhance a carving. Or is it just best to do that on a stationary drill press, The hole size is about .6MM (.023). I realize the next step is going to be to try and hold the drill bit in the machine.
I am not sure I am going to persue this or not but it was just a thought that sounded different.

rjustice
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Joe,
As far as holding drill bits, i can produce a bit adapter that will hold a drill chuck. (very usefull, cool idea)...How thick of material are you thinking of using? The reason i ask is that i have some small drills that have a 1/8 shank on them also, and those could be held directly in the 1/8 bit adapter!

It will probably come down to rigging one up, and doing a test... very cool idea!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-18-2007, 02:41 PM
You had my attention on that since I drill the holes for my 911 signs at .175 with the 1/8 inch cutting bit.

I tried to load .023 into the drill function and it said enter at least .125.

I bet you could lie to it and put a .023 bit in but tell it that it is .125 and then it will not give any x or y motion to break the bit.

Think about Solar LED's for your projects too. They are available in white, blue, green, and red. Find them on eBay Solar Christmas Lights.

AL

oldjoe
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Ron thanks for jumping in I was thinking of not going any thicker than .500. I think with that small of drill the flute length is not going to be very long and you would have problems with the chip coming out. Unless you can find away to pulse it thru a little at a time. I don't know when I will get around to doing this the honey dew list has to come first. but now you have my attention on the small drill bits with the .125 shank. I have to do some more research on the size of fiber optics strands. I know I found some items on the internet awhile back. Sounded pretty reasonable to work with. I will keep you posted on what I find.
Although I do like the solar light idea to. So much to chose from.

oldjoe
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Here is a website that looks like it sells alot of fiberoptic supplies. There are others but so far this one has the best selection
www.fiberopticproducts.com (http://www.fiberopticproducts.com)

Digitalwoodshop
07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Nice Cold Cathode white lights perfect for a Carve Machine light.

AL

Charles M
07-20-2007, 06:29 AM
I think with that small of drill the flute length is not going to be very long and you would have problems with the chip coming out. Unless you can find away to pulse it thru a little at a time.

IIRC, the machine drills in 1/8" steps and backs out each time to clear the chips. So fooling it with a smaller bit should work fine if you can find a way of chucking it.