PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Probe

myersbear
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Is anybody useing a probe other than CarveWrights. I have a good one with different tips it has the same plug on the wire that goes to machine, I don't know about the software, is that in the software that comes with the machine and comes on when the probe is hooked up, would be nice if I could use what I have are did thay make this machine to use CarveWrights name parts only.

rjustice
07-17-2007, 06:24 PM
The software is part of the probe cost.

Ron

kyeakel
07-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Where did you purchase the other probe? I already have my carvewright probe, but it would be interesting to see if another probe would work. Just incase the original gets broken.

Kipp

rjustice
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Guys,
I am saying this a little tongue in cheek, because i will need some time to produce, test, and verify accuracy... but I am going to work on manufacturing a high precision, soft touch probe. I borrowed a probe to evaluate, and it came in yesterday. Honestly I was fairly shocked at how stiff, and how rough the action is to make it trigger. As i stated in another thread, i work with high end probes in my profession, and they are signifantly smoother, and have a much lighter spring touch to them. I feel pretty confident that I can make a signficant improvement, that would not damage or scratch antiques, or valuables. When people were posting about taking paint off of things, and scratching up colectables, I was having a hard time understanding the problem. This was based on my background with probes. Now i see.... With the amount of tension it takes to make this probe reliable, it is not possible to simply put a "composite" tip on it to protect your model that you are trying to scan. It would wear out in very short order. So, the answer is to smooth out, and considerably soften up the trigger mechanism and its movements. This will be my focus.
I am considering 2 directions. First would be to retrofit existing probes if possible. In other words, send me your core, and i will have one remade to send you back, and just cycle through them. The second direction would be to build from scratch. Any comments, questions, or feedback of any kind are welcomed and encouraged!

I will pursue this for myself, and the person that loaned me his probe one way or another. But I am also curious if I am wasting my time or if people think there is an interest in producing larger quantities of these?

Thanks,

Ron

pkunk
07-18-2007, 12:02 PM
You have my vote! If it were possible to rebuild the existing probes, I'd like it even better! :p

BobHill
07-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Just like Jeff and his backlighted LCD screen, any accessory that increases the ability of the final ability of the CarveWright has got to be a winner, Ron. For instance, besides not scaring valuable collectibles, something that would probe with a feather touch could also copy delicate items, such as lace, clay sculpted figures, etc. That would increase one's abilities on a grand scale.

Bob

rjustice
07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Paul, and Bob... I appreciate any and all feedback like this. When i looked at the box for the probe, it says you can probe wax and clay... ??? I cant believe that its possible with the one i have to work with... it is extremely stiff...

Is anyone else interested ?

Ron

DocWheeler
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Count me in - if it is affordable of course:)

Kenm810
07-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Ron, I'll jump on the band wagon too, I'm all for innovation.
Especially when it makes a decent tool or product even better.
I'm always looking for something better, new, or just different.

Buy way Ron, the new Bit holders have been working out fine
even with with a couple of my old style chipper Bits

rjustice
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Ken810,
Yeah when i wrote the post #4 above i was trying to come up with a title that wouldnt incroach on your personal title "THE TINKERNATOR" I actually started with "Tinkering with my Probe" but hey I figure you are the one that deserves to be able to use that line...LOL

:D:D

Ron

Kenm810
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey Ron,
I've never been one to appose sharing, Alway room for two http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

rjustice
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Ken, so is the "Chipper bit" on the left for poking holes, and the one on the right for cutting tapers? (i think we are getting closer to the "YOU AINT RIGHT" category all the time :D :D)

LOL....:)

Ron

Kenm810
07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I know we're getting off topic folks, but a smile now then never hurts

And Ron, Barbs says I'm get closer to that "YOU AINT RIGHT" category every day. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

ps she laughed over my shoulder and said " By Leaps and Bounds"

ljdm
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Guys,
I am saying this a little tongue in cheek, because i will need some time to produce, test, and verify accuracy... but I am going to work on manufacturing a high precision, soft touch probe. I borrowed a probe to evaluate, and it came in yesterday. Honestly I was fairly shocked at how stiff, and how rough the action is to make it trigger. As i stated in another thread, i work with high end probes in my profession, and they are signifantly smoother, and have a much lighter spring touch to them. I feel pretty confident that I can make a signficant improvement, that would not damage or scratch antiques, or valuables. When people were posting about taking paint off of things, and scratching up colectables, I was having a hard time understanding the problem. This was based on my background with probes. Now i see.... With the amount of tension it takes to make this probe reliable, it is not possible to simply put a "composite" tip on it to protect your model that you are trying to scan. It would wear out in very short order. So, the answer is to smooth out, and considerably soften up the trigger mechanism and its movements. This will be my focus.
I am considering 2 directions. First would be to retrofit existing probes if possible. In other words, send me your core, and i will have one remade to send you back, and just cycle through them. The second direction would be to build from scratch. Any comments, questions, or feedback of any kind are welcomed and encouraged!

I will pursue this for myself, and the person that loaned me his probe one way or another. But I am also curious if I am wasting my time or if people think there is an interest in producing larger quantities of these?

Thanks,

Ron

Any progress on the soft-touch probe? My first scan was on a wooden plaque (my mother's, of all people). It scratched the finish on each pass. Best quality seems less rough than draft, as far as z truck movement, but both settings dig in pretty good into the finish. No way you could do wax or clay. Look forward to an improved probe, keep us informed as to progress.

rjustice
07-24-2007, 02:30 PM
ljdm,
Yes there is progress... I have re-designed parts for a different contact type, that will require a lot less pressure on the probe. It will have a fraction of the spring tension. I need to machine up parts next weekend, and prototype to see how it works. The main issue that i forsee, is to use the existing case that the contacts are housed in now, makes the parts smaller than any probes i currently use in our shop, so i dont know if it is going to make it so sensitive that it freaks the machine out or not. I will post when i get something working.

Thanks for your interest,

Ron

myersbear
07-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Where did you purchase the other probe? I already have my carvewright probe, but it would be interesting to see if another probe would work. Just incase the original gets broken.

KippSorry it took so long to reply but I was out of town. I got the probe from www.imsrv.com thay are in Mi. It was $295 it has different tips you can use. Check it out.

Semper Fi
07-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Ron, I'd be real interested also. The wife collects glass and there are many lids that I would love to scan, but I'm not going to take a chance with my life by scratching some of the hand painted surfaces on her pieces! :)

Ernie

mtylerfl
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply but I was out of town. I got the probe from www.imsrv.com (http://www.imsrv.com) thay are in Mi. It was $295 it has different tips you can use. Check it out.

Hello,

I visited the link, but did not spot the probe you mentioned. Do you have a more specific link where the probe may be found?

Thanks.

jonweis
07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello,

I visited the link, but did not spot the probe you mentioned. Do you have a more specific link where the probe may be found?

Thanks.

Think you'll find it here:
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14

myersbear
07-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Think you'll find it here:
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14

Thanks for passing that on, he has two websites. Dan

mtylerfl
07-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply but I was out of town. I got the probe from www.imsrv.com (http://www.imsrv.com) thay are in Mi. It was $295 it has different tips you can use. Check it out.

Hello myersbear,

I found the TP-100 probe you mentioned.

Question...It does not appear to have the same type of mounting mechanism as the CW probe. How did you mount your TP-100 to fit the CompuCarve machine?

myersbear
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello myersbear,

I found the TP-100 probe you mentioned.

Question...It does not appear to have the same type of mounting mechanism as the CW probe. How did you mount your TP-100 to fit the CompuCarve machine?

The shaft is a 3/8" I used a collet to use it in the 1/2" bit adaptor, also the plug is a little bigger, got a adaptor to plug in CarveWright. This probe has different ends you can get and takes a lot less force to move the end. I don't know if it will work with the carver are not. The probe is a switch inside that when the end hits it sends to computer, not much to it I found a few web sites that show you how to made them, I made one before I got this one and it worked OK. But you need the software and the carvewright is est up to only use carvewright things. Dan

gomjabar
07-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I know yours is an old posting, however, I'm new and browsing. Any further developments on a soft-touch probe? I just received my scanner and am a bit reluctant to tear it apart just yet. I read this same posting on CW site. My email is eqquus@comcast.net.

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I know yours is an old posting, however, I'm new and browsing. Any further developments on a soft-touch probe? I just received my scanner and am a bit reluctant to tear it apart just yet. I read this same posting on CW site. My email is eqquus@comcast.net.

Do you have any need to "tear it apart"?? Is it not working or something?

mtylerfl
07-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Here is a link to a thread from awhile back that may help you make your scanning probe "softer".

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=4565&highlight=Glue+tips

gomjabar
07-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Nothing's wrong with the scanner. I just would like to see just how hard it would be to modify/replace the contact leafs with more pliable ones. Especially the Z-axis. It takes an incredible 130+ grams to actuate it. I should add it would be nice if Ron (rjustice) could modify them at a reasonable price. Or produce a new soft-touch scanner.

rjustice
07-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Nothing's wrong with the scanner. I just would like to see just how hard it would be to modify/replace the contact leafs with more pliable ones. Especially the Z-axis. It takes an incredible 130+ grams to actuate it. I should add it would be nice if Ron (rjustice) could modify them at a reasonable price. Or produce a new soft-touch scanner.

Hi gomjabar,
I do have a design to make modified insides for the probe, but there wasnt very much interest, then someone discovered the glue tips, which was a very cheap way to protect the item being scanned, so i just stopped on it. The design i came up with would have a fraction of the required pressure, and would be significantly more sensitive/accurate.
If there is a significant interest in the new probe retrofit, I will consider moving forward with it again.

Thanks,

Ron

gomjabar
07-04-2009, 06:42 PM
As originally stated, I referenced your old positng and many thereafter. And yes, there appears to be much interest in a new, improved probe. Forget them, I'm still interested.
As I stated earlier, it would save me "tearing" mine apart to try and implement any mods. Let alone, if a field mod is possible.

rjustice
07-04-2009, 07:02 PM
As originally stated, I referenced your old positng and many thereafter. And yes, there appears to be much interest in a new, improved probe. Forget them, I'm still interested.
As I stated earlier, it would save me "tearing" mine apart to try and implement any mods. Let alone, if a field mod is possible.

LOL... ok, here is the issue. It takes dozens if not hundreds of hours invested to R&D, then implement a production plan on something like this, of which I am probably 70% through from the old posts. In the midst of working on this at my time and expense, someone found that a 5 cent peice of plastic solves the problem for most of the people... (not sure it really did, but that was the feeling i got)... It just didnt seem as though there would ever be any payback on the investment i would have to make.

I will save you some time and let you know that you are not going to make much of an improvement in the stock one. The reason for the excessive pressure required, is due to the style of contacts used. And just in case you do open it up to experiment with it, just the oil residue from your fingers touching the contacts will make it act up.

It's just not made the way a $1200 probe is made, and the way i was heading would replicate the way an expensive industrial probe does work.

Again, if people start flooding my email with interest, i will go forward with it, if not, its just not something i have time to donate to right now.

Thanks Much!

Ron

gomjabar
07-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Well if the Carvers are interested in clay/wax scanning and a higher degree of resolution they should respond. As for residue of any kind, I've worked in a class 100 clean room where the spoken word could contaminate optics. But thanks for your concern regarding contact contmination. I even use a tissue when handling button cell batteries. In any event let's see who responds. I do hope that $1200 wasn't the ballpark figure!

rjustice
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Well if the Carvers are interested in clay/wax scanning and a higher degree of resolution they should respond. As for residue of any kind, I've worked in a class 100 clean room where the spoken word could contaminate optics. But thanks for your concern regarding contact contmination. I even use a tissue when handling button cell batteries. In any event let's see who responds. I do hope that $1200 wasn't the ballpark figure!

No, that is what an industrial grade probe would cost, i think once in production i could sell them for in the $120-$200 range depending on whether i can use the original case or not. Perhaps less...

mtylerfl
07-04-2009, 09:54 PM
No, that is what an industrial grade probe would cost, i think once in production i could sell them for in the $120-$200 range depending on whether i can use the original case or not. Perhaps less...

I would be very interested in a probe like you fellows are describing. That makes two of us so far, Ron!;)

sweliver
07-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Again, if people start flooding my email with interest, i will go forward with it, if not, its just not something i have time to donate to right now.

Thanks Much!

Ron

I'm very interested. I have a gold leafed clock face I luckily saved from obvious damage. Watching the CW work is so captivating that I was watching the first scan pass whereupon I witnessed a "scratch" behind the probe. The probe drags hard on the piece. I subsequently scanned a brass item with a nice patina...it came out polished with parallel lines. Hey, maybe a new application for the CW...polish scan vs soft scan.

sw

Dan-Woodman
07-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Heres a dumn question. The cw uses some kind of divice to detect the edge of the board,and walmart uses a scanning device to detect black barcodes, why couldn't there be a scanner like walmart that scans the grayscale depths of carvings? Is something like a walmart scanner not feasable for use with carvings?
later Daniel

sweliver
07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Heres a dumn question. The cw uses some kind of divice to detect the edge of the board,and walmart uses a scanning device to detect black barcodes, why couldn't there be a scanner like walmart that scans the grayscale depths of carvings? Is something like a walmart scanner not feasable for use with carvings?
later Daniel

Actually we need to start a private user group to capitalize on our inventions/innovations/ideas. Seriously!

A Department of Natural Resources caving friend of mine is using a gps/satellite technology that can remove the trees so one can see the "ground".

Your wallyworld scanner idea is many miles closer to our scanning needs.

At this point in time, the DNR program which is public and online, uses so much mathmatics that a pc would fuse into it's own black hole.

sw

gomjabar
07-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Well Ron, you thought interest had waned? It's just been a few hours and look at the response. Post elsewhere and see what the community thinks. From the posts I've read, Carvers are frightened of possibly having their possessions impaled during a scan, let alone the inevitable brow-beating from irate spouses. Everyone LOL about the last part! Please:)

gomjabar
07-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Sweliver, your last comment about the DNR program would more aptly be called "Do Not Resuscitate"

TIMCOSBY
07-05-2009, 04:52 AM
stop the scratching but you still can't scan soft stuff like clay. the thing goes up and down at such a high rate that a lesser spring might not keep out eroneous data just from the inertia.

MCGEE2SKINNER
07-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Ron
I find a soft probe berry berry intresting count me in.

JIM McGEE

rjustice
07-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds like i need to blow the dust off the old plans and see where it goes. Using the Rock Chuck body does open up some space constraints that i was dealing with.... OK let me see what i can do.

Thanks for your interest guys!

Happy Carving.... or ....Scanning?

Ron

earlyrider
07-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Add me to the list also!;)
Ron

James RS
07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I've been looking at scanners and probes I'd be interested

coop2739
07-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Count me in also Ron.:)

swhitney
07-06-2009, 09:26 AM
modified probe intrest here as well

mtylerfl
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
later Daniel

Hello Daniel,

That already exists - it's "generically" called a no-touch laser 3D scanner. An inexpensive one is about $3,000 (NextEngine brand) which will scan small objects (up to about 12" size if I recall). Larger ones and portable hand-held laser scanners go for about $10K to $20K on up.

mostlycold
07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
checkout this site:

www.David-laserscanner.com

Software works in STL format as well.

mtylerfl
07-06-2009, 04:05 PM
checkout this site:

www.David-laserscanner.com (http://www.David-laserscanner.com)

Software works in STL format as well.

Saw that a couple years ago - waiting for the first "CarveWright person" to try it and make a report!

ChrisAlb
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I never used one personally but when Al and I went to see New Wave Custom Woodworking last Friday, Guy showed us (in action) a nice hand held that instantly put the scanned object on the screen if full 3D. A measly $28,000 for scanner and software.

Yes, directly to STL output if you wish. Good luck "CW Person"....LOL

mtylerfl
07-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I never used one personally but when Al and I went to see New Wave Custom Woodworking last Friday, Guy showed us (in action) a nice hand held that instantly put the scanned object on the screen if full 3D. A measly $28,000 for scanner and software.

Cool! Sure wish I could have seen it in person too! I did see a couple at a Woodworkers Show in Atlanta last year - way expensive, so I walked away hoping that someday the prices would come down. I like the idea of a portable one - I could scan so much of the carvings, etc. in Savannah, GA and other cities that have a lot of carved craftsmanship and statuary all over the place!

As it is, I have taken photos with the idea that I will create patterns "from scratch" using the photos as a guide. Would be so much easier with a high-quality portable laser scanner, though!

Dan-Woodman
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
OH what the heck Michael, go ahead and spring for it . It's only your life savings , retirement, your great grandkids retirement, etc.
Thanks for the explaination of the scanner ,by the way.
later Daniel

earlyrider
07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
The handheld is pretty cool, we've scanned in some pretty complex things with it, including a dino skull, and a neck vertebra of a sauropod (brontosaur), and had them scaled down and 3D printed. We have a Next Engine scanner, and I'll be making a digital fossil collection with it. Anyone interested in a wood trilobite? :cool:
Ron

Kenm810
07-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi Ron,

That would be neat, when we were kids we'd go diving in a old gravel pit lake for Trilobites and other Fossils.
We would then sell them to local Rock Shops for a little spending money for the summer.
Hummm --- that's over 50 years ago now, a fun time, and still great memories. :wink:

mtylerfl
07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
The handheld is pretty cool, we've scanned in some pretty complex things with it, including a dino skull, and a neck vertebra of a sauropod (brontosaur), and had them scaled down and 3D printed. We have a Next Engine scanner, and I'll be making a digital fossil collection with it. Anyone interested in a wood trilobite? :cool:
Ron

Golly, I keep forgetting that I wanted to do fossils too! Man, the ta-doo list is out of control. I did a couple of 'em -now where are they??

Ron is definitely going to beat me - especially with that "so-cool" laser scanner rig! I can't wait to see all the neat stuff you'll come up with, Ron!

mtylerfl
07-07-2009, 08:51 AM
OH what the heck Michael, go ahead and spring for it . It's only your life savings , retirement, your great grandkids retirement, etc...Daniel

Don't tempt me!:-D

earlyrider
07-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, I'm over 50 now, and still collect trilobites whenever I can. Guess I'm just an obsolete kid!:mrgreen:
Ron

Kenm810
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I really don't have any kind of a laser scanner,
I have to work with the Ol' Pencil and Paper.

Guess I'm just One of the Fossils http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif -- Over 66 and still Counting

mtylerfl
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I really don't have any kind of a laser scanner,
I have to work with the Ol' Pencil and Paper.

Guess I'm just One of the Fossils http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif -- Over 66 and still Counting

That's great! Good job!

mostlycold
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM

The David Laser Scanner I referenced in the earlier post sells the complete starter kit (software (output to STL), camera, laser, backdrop, manuals, etc) for $599. If no one has tried this product, I'm considering getting one. If I get one, does that make me a real "CW Person"?....LOL

supershingler
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
if you could find a scanner that worked for 600 bucks and did all the research and reported your finds back to the forum i think that would make you a real "CW" person.

let us know how it works out

im not a computer guy or i would try

kendall

earlyrider
07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Ken, thats a really fine bug. Id like to know how you did it, as I will never be able to get my hands on some of the originals, though really fine illustrations exist. Heres some of my future projects along with the first wooden dinosaur leg I know of. (Don't call the # on the pen, its for a funeral home out here!)((No, thats not where I got my bones!)):rolleyes:
Ron

William Blankenship
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
......... (Don't call the # on the pen, its for a funeral home out here!)((No, thats not where I got my bones!)):rolleyes:
Ron

I had to laugh when I read this one. Pretty cool fossils, Ron.

Bill....

preetrar73
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Im attempting to make a book that includes some old slides. I have scanned them at 1200 dpi. Is that going to be too large for mypublisher?

AskBud
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Im attempting to make a book that includes some old slides. I have scanned them at 1200 dpi. Is that going to be too large for mypublisher?

Is this a question about your carver, or just about paper publishing with the PC?
AskBud

gomjabar
11-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Granted I'm a novice and have only produced 11 carvings to date and am on a steep learning curve, I'd still like to pass on a scanning tip I utilize. Although I'm sure someone has already used this mounting method, I'll send it along anyway. Instead of Hot Glue, Silly Putty or clay to mount an item to be scanned I found "Polymorph" to be a perfect cradle to frimly hold large or small objects. The cradle is then affixed to the sled with double-sided tape or spray stencil adhesive. If this idea has already been posted, sorry for the redundancy.

Next is a question (Bud?). I would like to make two 4 inch dia, somewhat shallow circular domes (1/2" stock). One positive and one negative, so as to cup together. When I tried "double domes" it gives a pillowed effect. Any ideas?

Finally, if anyone's interested, here's a pic of one of my favorite carvings thus far. I'll send another pic when it's stained and painted.

Kenm810
11-21-2009, 07:09 AM
gomjabar,

Thanks for the tip on the "Polymorph"

and if I may, --- is this what you're looking for?

AskBud
11-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Domes, by design, always have an arch.
Did Ken give you what you want?
I'm not sure why he has the line, but it can be deleted.

If you just want flat tops & bottoms try this MPC.
AskBud

Kenm810
11-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi Bud,

The line was just to show where the surface of the board is
in respect to the depth or height of the domes, thats all. :wink:

gomjabar
11-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Ken and Bud. I'll run these in a while. They look like just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for such quick responses.

just J

mtylerfl
11-21-2009, 11:11 AM
...I found "Polymorph" to be a perfect cradle to frimly hold large or small objects...

Hello,

Do you have a link for the "Polymorph" product?

gomjabar
11-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Mtylerfl,
One avenue would be Jaycar Electronics or perhaps even ebay. However, you can Google "polymorph" and get more info.

CAIO just J

Chief
11-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Gomjabar,

I never heard of this "polymorph" but it sounds like something my granddaughter would like. Where can I find this product?

TIA.

Chief

gomjabar
11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I guess this is an old product. In any event, Jaycar Electrinics and ebay works. Is "Chief" honorary?

mtylerfl
11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Gomjabar,

I never heard of this "polymorph" but it sounds like something my granddaughter would like. Where can I find this product?

TIA.

Chief

I don't know where to find any info on it or a source for it either - a web search didn't help me - might be just my feeble mind. Is it a plastic material or something else? A direct link from the OP would be appreciably convenient...

Chief
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Gomjabar,

Forget it. I did as you suggested and found plenty of links.

Chief

Chief
11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Mike et al,

Here are the first few sites I found and there's a YouTube video on it. Very simple.

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/Polymorph
http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.-206~threadid.106233
http://www.electronicspoint.com/polymorph-plastic-pellets-t153990.html
http://cnmat.berkeley.edu/resource/shapelock_polymorph_plastic
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=47136

Chief

mtylerfl
11-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks Chief! That looks like pretty cool stuff alright!

gomjabar
11-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Mike, et al, "Jaycar Electronics" keyword "polymorph" and ebay search "polymorh plastic"; both achieved good results. Sorry, I thought my earlier posting was sufficient. I think dollar for dollar Jaycar is a better deal. Although you get an awful lot of plastic. I think it's 500g's. Ebay's around $4 per 100g's.