PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying

dgriessmann
07-17-2007, 07:45 AM
I've read alot of bad reviews and alot about rigging this thing to work.

Is it now being shipped with the bugs gone?

Jeff_Birt
07-17-2007, 08:38 AM
This subject has been covered many, many times here. I've designed and operated many different types of CNC equipment over the years and this machine is by far the most user friendly. The vast majority of problems with this machine are operator error. There are some folks who have had no exposure to any type of CNC equipment and little or no computer experience who have really struggled; some seem to think it's something you can run like a computer printer. As long as you approach it with a level head you can learn to run it no matter what your experience level. As I said, it's easy to operate but you have to take the time to learn how to use it, read the manual (2-3 times), start out with some smaller projects to get your feet wet (here is a good starter project http://allcw.com/Projects.html). This forum is also a great place to search for answers.

With all that being said some machines have had problems, the vast majority have not (easy to extrapolate if you consider the number of machines vs. the number of complaints) The manufacturer, LHR Technologies, has a record of standing behind their equipment. If you have a problem during the warranty period they will even pay for shipping it down to Texas to be repaired.

If you have read the reviews at Sears (some of which are quite funny), I would advise taking what you read with a grain of salt. With reviews like "It was so loud I had to take it back", it's obvious that this individual had never used any power tools before as the machine is about as loud as a hand router and their opinion is heavily slanted by lack of experience.

dgriessmann
07-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info. I know alot about computers, (Been working with them for 20 yrs) and only played with a basic CNC machine in tech school 10 yrs ago.

I have no issues learning, just didn't want to buy a lemon.

benluz
07-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Jeff ,I could not have said it better myself .
Ben

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
From my experience with the manufacturer, LHR Technologies, I and others on this forum have found they have a what I would call a Great Lemon law, with in the more then ample warranty period, If you can't get The machine to work and they can't repair it, they send you another machine, shipping included. I haven't found many other Companies that will do that. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

oldjoe
07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
There are no guarentees that you will get a bug free machine but your are guarenteed that it will be replace or repaired. I have friends that have had problems with new cars and they cost alot more (both Chevy and Ford)
I have yet to deal with LHR on my machine the first one yes it went bad took it back to Sears for another no problems they took it back no questions asked. The second so far so good. Has about 40 plus hours on the cut motor I don't get that CCM error and I am running the latest version of designer.
So give it a try.

menewfy
07-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I have had two machines.

I have brought both back

not because I do not know about computers or cnc's for that matter.

the machine is the most user friendly I have seen.

the designer software is great very easy to use.

my opinion has been that if you are looking for a hobby machine this is it no question it is cheaper than any other machine like it.

the only proble with this is that your hobby has to be electronics or mechanics.

I am keeping my eye on this forum because I believe in a year or so when the bugs are worked out of the plant in china it will be a good solid machine.

do not get me wrong this machine works well and puts out great carvings when it works, but unfortunately my machine decided it was not going to work as often as I would have liked.

good luck
you can email me if you have any other questions