PDA

View Full Version : artcam ?

newcarver
07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
DO you have to convert artcam files to bmp or is it possible to convert to ptn.

ljdm
07-16-2007, 05:36 PM
As far as I know, you have to save as greyscale bitmap and import into Designer. I think it's on an Artcam wishlist for .ptn conversion. I have heard Vectorart 3d is able to convert Artcam files to ptn, but don't know how, if that is true that they can convert them.

Jeff_Birt
07-16-2007, 07:31 PM
The pattern format (ptn) is basically an 8-bit greyscale where solid black is the transparent color (really there is not much other data in a .ptn file). If you save the ArtCAM relief as a BMP, then import into Designer, invert and lower one step that is as good as it will get for now.

ljdm
07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
When you say "lower one step" - not sure what you mean. Do you use Artcam? I have used FaceWizard and saved files as you say, played with sculpting, etc. Any hints appreciated. Have been trying to create patterns, still a steep learning curve to Artcam.

Jeff_Birt
07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
When you import an image into Designer you have the option of rasing or lowering the resulting '3d' pattern in one step increments. ArtCAM will output the relief in a greyscale bitmap that you can import into Designer to make a pattern out of. ArtCAM and every other program in the world interpret white as the highest and black as lowest, Designer does just the opposit, so you have to invert the pattern after importing it into Designer. You will then have a rectangluar frame around your pattern at the bottom. Lowering it one step will remove it.