PDA

View Full Version : Bit adapter set screws

ljdm
07-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Are the set screws in the bit adapter part of the chuck mechanism, or can they be replaced with a plain set screw? Something with a deeper socket that doesn't strip as easily.

BobHill
07-16-2007, 11:46 AM
The set screws holding the bits have to fit inside the chuck and since they go right against the bit shank when tight, how would you make them any deeper? The best way to set the set screws is to hand tighten (not over tighten so as to strip the threads and APPLY Blue Loctite to those threads. If properly done, the bit will hold tight and the set screw won't move or loosen and no threads should strip.

Bob

ljdm
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
The head(socket) of the screw is stripping. Seems like a regular set screw, same length and size has a better socket on it.

rjustice
07-16-2007, 12:00 PM
ljdm,
A standard set screw shouldnt be used. If you look there is a smooth diameter that nests inside the quickchuck. It not only keys the bit adapter so it doesnt spin, it also causes the chuck to rotate and lock.

I have screws for sale that use a smaller allen wrench that is not as prone to break out. I had this problem myself.

spare screws are $5 per pair and allen wrench to fit is $3

Ron

murph
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Why worry about replacing the bad screw, new bit adapters are only about $3. 50 from Carvewright.

BobHill
07-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I believe the quick bit holders are also available through Sears locally as well.
Bob

rpringle
07-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Bob and Mruph,

You are both right, the screws in the bit holder are to soft.

For me the question is - do I continue to by crap or spend a extra few penneys to have a hex/screw which I can depend on.

My choice was to buy 4 hex screws from Ron for a test.

They seem to have a tighter thread, old lictite will make the insertion tight.

So far none have stripped the head, unlike several of the regulars.

I also recieved one each of Ron's bits.
I looked at each very carefully with my magnifing glass and determined that I cannot have a good look at anything smaller than one !/8.
I can tell that they are round nose, which I think is good but the actual cutting edge is beyound my glass.
The 1/8 is easier to see, the furst thing I saw was that unlike the Sears 1/8 cutting bit, was that it has a ball tip.
The Sears tips are flat with cutting blades, on each of mine one or more of the edges were dented.
They seem to work OK but maybe this is why the cutouts are a bit rough.

Today I found a small air compressor from Home Depot which I think will be perfect for blowing chips.

I wil give an update on the compessor, Ron's bits and my carver when I get eather the parts for the old unit or the new unit due on 7/25/7.

Russ