PDA

View Full Version : Corian coasters

Gman_Ind
07-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I made some Corian coasters for a guy in exchange for the rest of the box of Corian 4"x4" samples. He wanted the Notre Dame ND symbol carved into them. I made to make it using lines and arcs, another fast cutting project.
Note: the 60 Vee grove of mine might be dull but it left a mess in the slots but the carving bit made a super clean groove.

Dan-Woodman
07-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Fantastic Gman, isn't this fun?

oldjoe
07-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Nice job on the coasters. I see I am not the only one that has gotten there feet in the picture. :p

Lin
07-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice....Also nice that you got some freebie corian. Never thought about using it for coasters. Emblems looks great.
Lin

rjustice
07-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I made some Corian coasters for a guy in exchange for the rest of the box of Corian 4"x4" samples. He wanted the Notre Dame ND symbol carved into them. I made to make it using lines and arcs, another fast cutting project.
Note: the 60 Vee grove of mine might be dull but it left a mess in the slots but the carving bit made a super clean groove.

Mike,
Your observation on the finish left by your "V" bits is probably not due to a dull bit. If your "V" bits are like the ones i purchased, they have a fairly thick web right at the tip and arent a true center cutting type bit. The tool is actually pushing the material away rather than shearing it. I will bet if you look there isnt a sharp shearing type flute that is running right to the center. The Carving bits have a much better center cutting action.

As i continue growing the accessories i have been offering, I am planning on offering a "V" series of bits that are much better at center cutting. I have tools that i made that fit the 1/8 holders to do small centerline text. They work much nicer than the purchased router bits.

Ron

Gman_Ind
07-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks all this is fun stuff! I delivered the coasters today and they were well received. :D I made a couple for myself, black with Mikes' Woodshop and another with Custom Carving on it along with my monogram. photos to follow.

Digitalwoodshop
07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
"As i continue growing the accessories i have been offering, I am planning on offering a "V" series of bits that are much better at center cutting. I have tools that i made that fit the 1/8 holders to do small centerline text. They work much nicer than the purchased router bits." Thanks Ron.

That is good news. I have learned so much about the machine and bits over the last few weeks. I am cutting CD Racks now with 6 cut out blocks using the cut out function with tabs. When I was running 2 machines before the last show I noticed the quilt rack blocks stayed with the tabs on my first machine with low hours. The Orphan has been kicking out at least 3/4 of the blocks as it got down to leaving tabs. Since I changed the chuck yesterday it has not kicked out a single block....

Great Coasters, a very nice Holiday project.

AL

SevenCubed
07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I like these a lot! I need to get me some carving plastic. Those results are turning out well. Have you tried painting/finishing any of your carved coasters? I reckon that a little work would yield a lot of result.

Gman_Ind
07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I liked the way they looked as they are the photo's did not do it justice as usual. I asked the painting question and the 'customer' thought the grooves would catch the glass sweat.
Look/ask around for sink cutouts locally. A free source of Corian. They also make nice cutting boards. :)