PDA

View Full Version : Inlay

Dan-Woodman
07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Here's an attempt at an inlay project.
After several tries , I got it awfull close. There is a small gap on the end, which could be filled in by squirting glue in the gap and then sanding to fill with sawdust. It fits tight enough you have to push it in and it stays by itself.

Just for this practice piece,the inlay is cherry and the outer wood is MDF.
The first couple of boards I tried were cherry and walnut, then I figured I better get it right first then go with the good wood.

Kenm810
07-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Fine job Dan, looks like you definitely got it right.
If you didn't mention it was an inlay I would have thought
you had discovered away to carve wafer thin projects on the CW,
the photo makes the inlay appear to nearly float above the MDF, looks beautiful. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

rjustice
07-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Dan,
Very nice work.. I cant wait to see the finished project!

Ron

Lin
07-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Curious as to how you accomplished this with the CW. A bit of instructions would be really helpful. When doing inlay on a scrollsaw I tilt the table of the scrollsaw and cut the two pieces at the same time to get one to sit flush inside the other...How on the CW did you pull this off...looks great.
Lin

Dan-Woodman
07-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Lin
That is how I do my scrollsaw projects also.
This one is a little different.
I created an oval, create region--1/4" deep, put in the praying hands and stars. create cutpath to the outside. carve
Create another oval different wood, make width about 1/16" wider than first one and about 1/32" longer than first. create cutpath. cut to inside this time.

This is all going to depend on what kind of wood your using and deflection of that 1" long cutting bit .

Strong recomendation here use cheap or scrap wood first til you get it where you want it.

Hope that helps a little Lin
later Daniel

P.S. Lin I sent you a P.M. about your website.

Hey Ron
Thanks for the kind words, I haven't thought of a finished project yet.

Ken

The inlay IS actually thicker than the MDF by about 1/64" and then the edge rounded over.

pamjmayo
07-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Dan, I can't tell you how beautiful that is. Could you tell me how to do that? The stain color is magnificent. Thanks, Pam

pamjmayo
07-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Dan, I just read your instructions, I am sorry to have asked you the last question without reading everything. Pam

Dan-Woodman
07-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Pam
Thats OK. As for the stain , there is none , thats the natuaral color of the cherry. It does have just one coat of salad bowel finish on it , thats it.

Dan-Woodman
07-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't know if anyone can see this one , two ovals were cut out I took the one out of the left that you can see and put it in the right one that you may not be able to see
This time the ovals were exactly the same size one cutpath outside one inside. After cleaning tabs off of each it fit rite in.
This time I used the tapered carving bit to cut each piece.
This is 1/2" MDF just for test purposes.
I think were on to something here people.

later Daniel

Lin
07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok now I'm officiallly jealous. Something new has been discovered that the CW can do and I killed mine yesterday...
This will get put back into file for when the next one shows up.
Thanks for showing us Dan.
Lin

PS..Thinking...I do some segmentation with my scrollsaw and I shaped it like Intarsians do. After cutting I layer the pieces. Ya know different heights. Lowering in 1/8" increments and use plywood behind innner pieces to raise...then shape and color. If you can do the circle and it fit...could you also do intarsia and/or segmentation this way? May not be real easier than cutting the piece on the scrollsaw...but after doing the pattern the first time you would have it saved to file and not have to work it out the second time...just a thought.
Including a couple pic of a segmented eagle I did on the scrollsaw for my brother. WIP photo. Showing the different heights I used before and just after I started shaping the piece. Wood started out as 3/4" aspen.
Dan..you think this is possible with the CW? To get the cuts acurate enough for a good fit?

Aaron B
07-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know if anyone can see this one , two ovals were cut out I took the one out of the left that you can see and put it in the right one that you may not be able to see
This time the ovals were exactly the same size one cutpath outside one inside. After cleaning tabs off of each it fit rite in.
This time I used the tapered carving bit to cut each piece.
This is 1/2" MDF just for test purposes.
I think were on to something here people.

later Daniel

The 1/16" carving bit didn't have any problem doing the cut path? Or did you use a different bit than what I am thinking.

Good project BTW

Dan-Woodman
07-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Aaron
Yes that was if same tapered carving bit we all use to carve with. The tapered cut makes it a nice wedge shape so the pieces fit snug together.
later Daniel