PDA

View Full Version : desk project

oldjoe
07-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I hope I am not repeating some pictures here. But here are some pictures of some of my work. The wood is hackberry which till now I have never heard of. I asked the owner of the place where I bought it where it came from the forest,
The last picture was going to be pictures of some handrails but I couldn't resist bragging up the grandson, but it is part of the handrails,

Kenm810
07-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Joe,

The desk looks great, the wood, the carvings, and finish are outstanding.
I also like the ventilation for the CPU on the side.
Looks like your handy with plumbing or pipe fitting as well as wood working
And the Grand Kids photos are always welcome http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Dan-Woodman
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Really nice work oldjoe
Looks like that hackberry is beautiful wood, and carves nice.
Did you also make the handrail?

DocWheeler
07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Joe,
That is some nice work, I see tour tube-bending came in handy for your railing - did your assistant help?
Sometime try some one inch square tubing (1/8") - that is my favorite to build things out of.
I googled hackberry to make it was as I remenbered and lost what I had written to you. It is similar to elm in appearance but suffers from "witches-broom" disease. Google indicates that they are mainly West of Ohio but I'm quite sure that I had several of them at a previous home here. That was why I knew about Witches-broom.

rjustice
07-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Joe,
Very nice work !... I was suprised to see the hackberry looks somewhat like hickory... how did you end up with the wood. I am in ohio, and it sounds like it is a native wood here?.. I havent seen it before.

Ron

oldjoe
07-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I didn't actually pick it. I took my wife along to pick out the wood for the desk and the hardwood dealer that we went to did there office in it. We were originally going to use willow. But when she saw the Hackberry she loved it and when I saw that the price was less I also liked it. It is considered a northern hard wood so I have been told. But we liked all the different colorations in the wood and it work not quite as hard as hickory more like oak.
Working with steel is what I do for a living and by using steel and wood combined I find that I use less wood so there is more for everyone to carve.
:D
Thanks for all the good feed back.