PDA

View Full Version : NIV Luke 24:41

ganm
07-14-2007, 11:43 AM
While carving the verse for the second time, my machine stopped near the end with a message to clean the z-axis rails. After using the shop vac and trying to continue, I then received the z-axis error message.

I proceeded to clean the machine with compressed air and the shop vac, but still the machine reported a z-axis error.

Out of curiosity, I removed the four screws holding on the top cover, disconnected the flexible shaft, wiring and removed the cover. I cleaned some more, tested (still receiving the error), then I explored the options menu and found the sensor tests. All of the sensors appeared to check out fine.

In for a penny in for a pound, I decided to continue to debug the error. I removed screws and connections from the z-axis assemble, running the machine to try and determine what the various wires do. Everything seems to be working except that the z-axis motor would not spin.

I then realized that the y-axis motor appeared to be of the same design. I removed it and disconnected it's wiring. With the y-axis motor temporarily connected to the z-axis wiring, I started the machine and it proceeded to spin the new 'z-axis' motor without an error message.

Now, again I figured that I've gone this far, I starting exploring the bad z-axis motor. I found that one of the motor's soldered terminal posts had broken in half.

With enough of the terminal post remaining, after desoldering, I crimped a wire connector to the post. And added one to the other terminal for consistency. My wife and I soldered the connectors in place. I widened the circuit board where it connects to the terminals and my wife and I soldered the board back in place.

I put the rebuilt z-axis motor and assemble back together and connected it back up. I connected the y-axis motor back up, along with the flexible shaft, powered up the machine and ran the project again on a new piece of wood.

The machine seems to be working fine, but I'd like to know if there's anything I should be concerned about. I don't know if any of the connections have any special needs or any of the screws needed to be tightened to any specific torque. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Good Job fixing your unit..... Got any Pictures to post?..... That would be interesting to see....

Circuit boards are "my thing".... former Sony Tech fixing Play Stations.

AL

pkunk
07-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a near factory grade fix to me. :p

Mikewiz
07-14-2007, 12:56 PM
That was my problem with the z motor. But I had cw send me a new one. I still have the old on so pics or step by step instructions, would help so I can repair my broken one to have a backup. thanks mike.

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Ganm
Quote--( my wife and I soldered the board back in place.)
That sounds so good to hear, working together on your machine. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
It's not my wife's fault in any way and often asks if she could help,
but sad to say shes as mechanically minded as a bag of door knobs.
That and my short temper,
I'd probably end up in the emergency room with the soldering iron stuck in my ear. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Thankfully she has her hobbies and is very good at them and I manage to mutter through mine.
Thanks for sharing and Great to Hear.

Jeff_Birt
07-14-2007, 02:02 PM
There are pictures posted elsewhere on the forum of this very problem with the Z-axis motor. CW will send you a replacment motor if the unit is under warrenty (which most likely it is). Good job troublshooting though...

ganm
07-15-2007, 07:18 AM
If you've watched the episode of M.A.S.H. where they order take out from Adam's Ribs and forget to order the coleslaw, that's how I feel about my response to the request for pictures.

During my exploration, I didn't think once about capturing the process, but I will. I intend to contact CW for a replacement. When it arrives, I will make sure to 'document' the replacement process and try to recreate steps of the original exploration and rebuild effort.

Lin
07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Gamn, Right now ahead of time...I want to thank you for taking the time to document with pics. Hoping you remember at that point...easy to forget when you get involed doing something. If I ever have to replace it...I know already the pics will be what helps me thru it...step by step.
Lin

liquidguitars
07-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I ended up getting a new Zpack as my soldered joints would not hold under use after my repair...

LG