PDA

View Full Version : I want to scan a pistol and eventually a rifle

Gary
07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Does anybody know if I can scan any of my firearms without marring the finish?? I have the scanning probe, but haven't used it yet.

I appreciate any help.

Gary

pkunk
07-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Does anybody know if I can scan any of my firearms without marring the finish?? I have the scanning probe, but haven't used it yet.

I appreciate any help.

Gary
I wouldn't, yet. We're working on a softer solution. ;)
2nd. Probe has a depth limitation of 1 inch.

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey Agian Gary,

Maybe I can help a little on this one. What I've none in the past, when I was afraid of damaging the surface while probe scanning, was to take the item. Lets say your hand gun plug the barrel and cylinders with cotton balls and give it a good coat of gun oil or a commercial release agent, and brush on a two part latex mold making mixture on one side. Then suspend it in a a shallow box and pore the remainder of the latex in, remember only enough to fill in and cover one side of the object. when the mold has set up and you have removed the object, mix a thin 2 part Bondo ( Yep like the stuff we used to repair our cars with ) and brush it into all the little nooks and crannies of the mold to get any air bubbles out, then fill it in with the remainder of the Bondo. Now you can scan the model and save the finish on your Pistol. You can do the same process with plaster of paris if you wish, but I prefer the products similar to Bondo. After all of that if you would like you can do the same to the other side of the object and have the scans for a two sided carving --- hope this helps a little. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

ps. Please be sure to remember to remove the cotton balls from the barrel http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

BobHill
07-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Ken,
Would you really do that to a valuable gun? I have two collector pistols, never fired and never even had their triggers snapped, so do you think I'd do that on mine? <g> Not in this lifetime.
Bob

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Bob,
When I get back to my office computer at wrok on monday.
I'll post some photos showing a couple of 1890 to 1900 pistols I've done this with,
alone with some art work that had to be reproduced. It not hard,
you just have to be very, very careful and it helps to have loads of insurance
when working with other folks prize belongings. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Not saying or implying it could be done by just anyone,
and your right it is something you want to think about before committing yourself.
Ya have to remember it's part of what I've been doing for a living for the 40 or 50 years. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

benluz
07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Bob,
When I get back to my office computer at wrok on monday.
I'll post some photos showing a couple of 1890 to 1900 pistols I've done this with,
alone with some art work that had to be reproduced. It not hard,
you just have to be very, very careful and it helps to have loads of insurance
when working with other folks prize belongings. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Not saying or implying it could be done by just anyone,
and your right it is something you want to think about before committing yourself.
Ya have to remember it's part of what I've been doing for a living for the 40 or 50 years. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

The shopsabre probe that came with my new machine has a rubber tip.
I have had the cw probe due some minor damage to a few things,nothing valuable...I don't thin I would let it scan my colt though.

Ben

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe I'm not makeing myself clear --- You,re Not probe scanning the fire arms, your scanning the model.
The latex does not generate heat, is not caustic, or corrosive. and set up in 5 minutes.
It's less damaging then a polishing or oiling cloth you might use or holding the pistol while wearing a latex glove.
But your more the welcome to different opinions, That's one of the things this forum is for.

RC Woodworks
07-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't, yet. We're working on a softer solution. ;)
2nd. Probe has a depth limitation of 1 inch.
Quick question.... who are we?? Haven't you said you are just a CC owner and not part of CW? Just a question out of curiosity, not trying to be offensive.

Ken, I with Bob I am not sure if I would put a substance on my handgun that might fill in open sections!

Rick

leesheridan
07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi Ken.
I just received my probe, and one of the things on my list to reproduce are gun grips. Which the ones that I'll be scanning are the originals and I don't care that much about getting minor scratches. But what I want to do is replace them with burl woods. And the problem I see is once I get them scanned I'll be working with smaller pieces of wood than what the min. size is for the cc. Can I turn around and carve on the sled or what other method is there? I'm trying not to have to buy $20.00 worth of wood when I have pieces that are large enough for the carved pieces.
Thanks

rjustice
07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Quick question.... who are we?? Haven't you said you are just a CC owner and not part of CW? Just a question out of curiosity, not trying to be offensive.

Ken, I with Bob I am not sure if I would put a substance on my handgun that might fill in open sections!

Rick

Rick,
Paul is refering to a post that was made last week about solutions to this problem. He and I have been PM'ing back and forth, and I will be recieving his probe this week. I ordered my own before the price went up, and somehow my order was cancelled because it was backordered too long. They then wouldnt honor the original price, so i got irritated, and didnt re-order.
I will be looking at engineering a new tip design as well as softening the "touch". I am also "just a CC owner" too, but have 26 years in CNC, machining, and engineering. I have also set up probes that cost in excess of $3000 on cnc machines capable of holding .0001 accuracy. The hopes are to re-engineer something with not only a non-abrasive tip, but also a softer touch to eliminate damaging the part being scanned. When the probes first came out people had commented on them taking the paint off of items they were scanning. This is probably as simple as too stiff of spring pressure on the probe axis, or a cheap method for seating the spherical ball seat, causing it to bind, which causes the use of stiffer springs.
Just playin' around with the stuff trying to make it better for everyone...

Ron

BobHill
07-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Now that's something I have thought of ... and that's making custom grips for my "working" pistols. Lee. Before we all had to go "standard," and were using .38's and .357's most of us had thumb rests (before combat ranges became popular) made to order for our individual hands. I would think that making fitting blanks, then using modeling clay to shape the handle might just work with the probe (baking the clay after it's made to fit). I haven't done that yet, but certainly have thought of it.
Bob

pkunk
07-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Rick
But you are offensive, Rick.:D You know full well who I am and who I don't work for.:rolleyes:

RC Woodworks
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=pkunk;27517]But you are offensive, Rick.:D You know full well who I am and who I don't work for.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

opps! just checking must be a mouse in the pocket! lol Never know maybe you are working on a new probe! Why not a bunch of people sell things for the CC.

Ok then I won't become defensive!!! just offensive!!!! Hope you laughed!

Rick

rjustice
07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Rick... did you see post #10 ?

Ron

RC Woodworks
07-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh boy I am in trouble again!!! I was giving Paul a bad time, we didn't start out on the right foot. So I am trying to mend the problem, he has said in the past he was just an owner not a CW employee. So I was teasing him and I think he took it as a that.

I just threw in the that he might be developing a new probe. I appreciate all that offers patterns and like you affordable bits. That is why I say I know what my mind wants to say, but when my 2 fingers type it comes out wrong!

Rick

PS no I didn't see post 10

rjustice
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
LOL... boy we have wayyyyyy tooo much fun here....:D :D :D

Ron

RC Woodworks
07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Well I try to, but I get in trouble for it! just remember I ain't right!

Rick

Gary
07-18-2007, 02:45 AM
You guys are the greatest. I bought an Alumilite casting kit in case the gun scans scratch..... Haven't tried it out yet. Fortunately, I have an old worthless .38 to practice with. I'll put layout dye on it when I finally do get a chance to scan it. I bought the build-it-yourself CopyCarver plans last month. Having a lathe, it would be easy for me to copy any cutter to make a follower for the original. I'd make the follower of nylon or delrin.

I'm working on a POS laptop with a short circuit that goes off without notice. I'm building a new computer I hope to come back with so I can be a normal person online.

Gary

BobHill
07-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Good luck with your computer build, Gary. I've got a few T-Shirts on that subject myself <g>.
Bob

rjustice
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Guys,
Concerning probing delicate items see this (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4051) thread... post #4... let me know what you think...

Thanks,

Ron

Gman_Ind
07-18-2007, 02:23 PM
I have not had my probe working long enough to scratch anything. I de burred the tip and considered dipping it in plasti-dip for fragile ot to detailed items, oil the tip before I dip it and the rubber tip should slid back off when I am done. Maybe thin the plasti-dip before I dip to get a thinner coating. I have a spray on coat that goes on real thin as well.
the probe is real simple, reall just a NC switch with 3 contacts held shut with a spring and the probe tip on the swash plate, repalce the steel probe with a Delrin and we should be good. ? just my thoughts.

Gary
07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I also have over 30 years inspecting aircraft parts with CMMs and other instruments. I don't think I need a CMM any more to make parts with the little growling xyz machine called the carvewright. I won't cover the pistols and rifles with the machine, I'll make copies with the other machine that doesn't scratch. Should be fun!!

Gary

rjustice
07-23-2007, 06:18 AM
I have not had my probe working long enough to scratch anything. I de burred the tip and considered dipping it in plasti-dip for fragile ot to detailed items, oil the tip before I dip it and the rubber tip should slid back off when I am done. Maybe thin the plasti-dip before I dip to get a thinner coating. I have a spray on coat that goes on real thin as well.
the probe is real simple, reall just a NC switch with 3 contacts held shut with a spring and the probe tip on the swash plate, repalce the steel probe with a Delrin and we should be good. ? Just my thoughts.

Mike, I dont think it will hold up. In fact word has it that CW has already tried it without success. I worked with the probe over the weekend, and the one i have just simply has wayyyyyyyy too much tension on the probe to make it trigger. I suspect they may have increased the pressure this much due to the type of contacts used. I have designed up replacement parts that will fit inside the existing housing that has an entirely different contact type. I need to get some parts made up and try it to see if they will work in the amount of space there is to work with. It is a little smaller than i would like, but we will see. The new style will allow for a much lighter touch with the probe, therefore allowing for a resin tip to be made if you choose to go that way.

Ron

benluz
07-23-2007, 07:03 AM
the probe is real simple, reall just a NC switch with 3 contacts held shut with a spring and the probe tip on the swash plate, repalce the steel probe with a Delrin and we should be good. ? just my thoughts.

G-man the probe I received with my big cnc did have the end coated with a plastic type material.
Ben

Ted Grinnell
08-06-2007, 12:16 AM
I have scanned my Model 685 Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum with wood S&W grips, and have NO pits or scratches to report. The Scan turned out great.

I did have to prop the gun up to scan it so that the barrel was level with my scanning sled.

Please NOTE: This is a Stainles Steel Pistol, not a blued one, and I wouldn't know if the probe would leave marks on a blued pistol.

BobHill
08-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Ted,

How did you do the scan without exceeding the 1" limitation on depth?

Bob

benluz
08-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Ted,

How did you do the scan without exceeding the 1" limitation on depth?

Bob

The scan software lets you set a bottom to the scan or of a false z,I do gun stocks in this manner as long as your total thickness is not more that 2" ,you just set your depth of scan at the half way point on the gun or pistol and the scanner will stop in mid air without touching anything,nice feature keeps you from having to block up around and object .
Ben

BobHill
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Ben, I guess I'd better do some more reading of the scanner probe manual.

Bob

Ted Grinnell
08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Your absolutely right, set depth, which is 2nd option after setting second point of scan.
Also keep in mind that the probe will scan a little over 1.4", and for the S&W I needed 1.3" to get 1/2 way. Once I got the scan in the pattern editor, I change the depth to what ever I want, as you still cannot carve much more than 1".

Note you need some scrap wood or something the heigth that you want for the max depth, as the probe will have to feel the max heigth.

mtylerfl
08-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Ben, I guess I'd better do some more reading of the scanner probe manual.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I made a how-it-works Scanning Video awhile back that shows the keypad's "Set The Maximum Depth" function during the scan setup.

Here's the link:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

Hope you find it helpful.

Ted Grinnell
08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I didn't scratch any guns doing this.

Sarge asked for this one. Hope it helps in your project. Didn't have a helmet or dogtags, but will keep on looking.