PDA

View Full Version : Speed or Me ??

Dave-Carve
07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I have a question thats prob been answered before. but I cant find it.
While carving if in (board settings) board is set to pine or oak,does it make a diffrence to speed or cut of machine???
Why? Sometimes my machine seems to be faster (like after you open cover and restart) The pitch of sound, and the speed of bit seem to move faster, Or am I Just hearing things??? Its like somtimes at 20,000 rpms and sometimes at 25,000 rpm ?????????????

Thanks

rjustice
07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
It doesnt change the feed, speed, or depth of cut, although that would be really nice if it did. I suspect your electric service is marginal for the machine. When the central air comes on in our house i can hear the speed change on my machine. Its probably just a few volts but enough to change the sound. Also when the air compressor kicks on it changes slightly. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. The board finishes are pattern files that you can add to and change out. One of the guys that has the pattern files has free downloads to update your options.

Ron

Skyhawk
07-14-2007, 07:57 AM
If you hear the machine sound change due to power fluctuations, I would have it checked...Most of the time you won't have a major problem, but if the change in voltage is drastic enough it will destroy electronic components.

Normal AC voltage should read about 110vAC - 125vAC. If you have a volt meter leave it plugged into the socket and monitor it for a while...If your readings stay above 102vAC then you should be OK...Any drop below 100vAC will destroy most power supplies on your electronic devices. It will be very rare to find voltage above 125vAC, but if it does happen, contact your power provider.

Keep this in mind...more electronic devices are destroyed by low power every year than are destroyed by power surges...

rjustice
07-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I am a little off the beaten path so to speak, so the power in my area isnt the best. I have checked it because of concerns on other appliances, and i vary 110-127 when something big kicks on, such as the central air, or compressor, or hot tub... the change is enough to hear the rpms change on the machine...

Ron

Dan-Woodman
07-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Yah mine also does that. Thats a terrific idea to check it . I notice mine does it when central air comes on or my air compressor.

later Daniel

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
You guy’s talking about the sound of the cut motor going up and down as if the rpms, were speeding up or slowing down got me thinking, even though my machine has it’s own dedicated line like most the machine in the shops. If I trace each of the individual breaker boxes back to the source, they all draw their power from a single line distribution box that enters the building. I have a Line Voltage Monitor ( $15.00 ) that I originally bought to use on my RV and was designed to plug into any 120 v wall receptacle and provide a continuous, accurate reading of the A.C., I suppose it could be left plugged in permanently or moved from any 110 volt machine to another. It would indicate current power levels showing rises and drops in voltage. Unfortunately we’re at the tail end of a local power grid and have to worry about “brown-out” conditions; we use power regulators to help prevent damage to our computers, appliances, motors, air conditioners TV monitors, and test equipment. When we get the signal that the regulators have kicked in we shut most equipment down to prevent overheating or burn out. --- Plus another thought, if I can find it I have an rpm strobe somewhere around one of the shops that could I use the get continuous graph readouts on my computer of the carving heads rpm speed. --- ahhh more tinkering http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Great idea, RPM strobe....

AL

rjustice
07-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Ken, you officially get the title of the "Tinkermiester" or the "Tinkernator" whichever you prefer!

LOL....:)

Ron

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks Ron,

Barb said I should carve that and hang it over my shops office door.

ps. probably so it would be handy when she wanted hit over the head with it. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

rjustice
07-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey Ken, I know this guy, who carves really cool signs, using this really neat machine. He buys these really cool bits, and adapters, off of this really cool guy on some forum on line... LOL !!! :D

Have a great weekend friend :D

Ron

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks again Ron,

This is to much fun http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif We gotta get an off topic Users Section on the forum
just for chatter and nonsense like this. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

ps. Of course Ron, you or any of the folks on this forum are more then welcome to come over and tinker at my shop any time.