PDA

View Full Version : Keeping wood chips out

GRASSHOPPER
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I have seen a thread on building a device to blow air at the bit to keep the area clear but I noticed that the little dust collector adapter is a perfect fit for the hose on my Craftsman shop vac.

Has anyone tried this or is the airflow too great?

bamaman315
07-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I would think that useing an electric shop vac would cause allot of static that could cause you more problems than you would want to deal with.
Thats just my two cents worth, I have heard of some circuit boards going bad because of ESD (electric static discharge).

BobHill
07-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Shouldn't grounding the frame take care of any static electricity, Bamaman? Besides, a shop vac or dust collector creates a lot more static and a blast of air from a compressor would, I would think.

Bob

oldjoe
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I know that there is a concern about plastic hoses and static electricity build up. And when it discharges you will could ruin the CC board. Also there was something about running a vacuum cleaner for a long time verses and actual dust collector. Some thing to do with the motors. I know I have probably not been much help but I do know from reading the forum the best thing is a down draft type table. I am sure Jeff and forgive me if I get the name wrong Pkunk will have better advice. And other people for that matter

Jeff_Birt
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Trust me don't run your shop-vac for hours on end, it will burn up :mad: The built in dust collector is only intended to get the fine dust the floats inside machine. It has a VERY restricted air route inside the machine and does not really pick up that much, adding any type of vacuum to the built in port would not do much except prevent you from having to empty the bag (which might be reason enough to add a small hose from a dust collection system to it).

The air-blast you spoke of not only keep the cutting area clear of chips, it also cools the bit (making the bit last longer). A down draft system (using the slot in the bottom of the machine) with a good dust collection unit is an ideal companion for the air-blast.

BobHill
07-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I'll sure vouch for the down draft dust collector system, as I've already noted, although I have't tried the air blast yet, as, so far, I've not had the need to use one.

Bob

Gman_Ind
07-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I believe that under no circumstances should anyone connect a shopvac to the CC 'muffler" (really thats about all it is.)
I believe this practice killed my first CC.
I have a simple duct port in the table under the machine (far side) and it keeps most of the debris from accumulating in the machine, in detail carves chips will settle back into the carving, I sometimes shoot some compressed air from the near end to help flow the chips out the dust port. I dislike the chips building up on the roller.

Kenm810
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I know some people say don’t use pvc tubing in your dust and chip collection system so naturally I did, not to prove anyone wrong, but because I’ve worked with it for years and if you ground every thing properly. No worries, I’ve had no static problems. Saying that here’s a photo of 11/2” pvc connected to the exhaust vent adapter on the back of my machine, it travels up and down freely through the top of my down draft cabinet, taking advantage of the negative pressure generated the DDC to draw out any fine dust that would normally be trapped in the machines dust collector. Nearly all the dust goes out through the bottom of the machine and is caught by the DDC filters. This is just to eliminate, and save me from having to clean the machines collector.

ps. And yes I too use a built in jet of compressed air in the area of the Carving Bit http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

GRASSHOPPER
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll can that idea.

oldjoe
07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Ken I really like the design or your table but I do have one question and that is how much air pressure do you have blowing on the bit area and is it constant or does it cycle in short bursts? I am working on my table now. I don't have compressed air in the area where I have my CC but I can always add it.

Kenm810
07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi joe,

The air jet is constent at 5 to 10 lb. and is always on while the cut motor is running. The shop compressed air arrives at the down draft cabinet prefiltered and dried at 100 lb., then regulated down to it's working pressure, if I need a burst of air through the jet, it's supply line has a ball valve bypass preset at 20 lb. the only time I use higher pressure air in the machine is when I doing it's regular house cleaning. Even then sparingly, there's to many wires, ribbons, connections, and sensors in there that really don't like high pressure air. So I find the little jet air useful at least for me. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

ps. plus it help to have boxes and boxes of parts to tinker with.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

GRASSHOPPER
07-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I just finished my first carving and didn't have the compressor handy. I put the hose on the output side of the shop vac and held the end about 18 inches from the machine. this produced a relatively high volume of air but the pressure was no more than just blowing on it. This did a good job. Is there and down side to doing it this way. I'm not an engineer but I don't think the static can follow the air flow.

I am going to make the downdraft table.

rjustice
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Bruce,
Before i put the tubing on the machine i simply took an airgun that has about a 4 or 5 inch tube on it, and litterally put it inside the slot in the top cover about every minute or two, and gave it a little puff of air to direct it to the side oppisite the keypad. (use caution, as depending on where you are carving, the flex shaft may come close to the ends of the slot in the cover) I would also give it a litle puff on top of the carving once it was open beyond the roller... It really reduced the cleanup i had to deal with. It also removed most of the dust on top of the part which the roller would press down on, and leave a little variation in height of the carving due to the extra pressure pushing down. Personally i never had any problem with static from puffing the air on the part, but i did ground my machine to the blower motor that i am using, which runs to the electrical ground.

Ron

Lin
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
While we're on the subject of air to get some of the build up of dust off the carving itself during the carving process...Can an heavy duty aquarium pump be used like what Jeff B. did with his CW? I have already built the downdraft and it works fine...now want to try to figure out how to get most of the dust removed that sits on top in the carving itself during the carve. Plastic tubing like for an aquarium tied to the z axis itself? Or no...bad idea..Will I need to ground the aquarium pump to the machine? Tell me...will what I'm thinking about work at all?
Lin

Kenm810
07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
It's been said that the particles of dust or chips moving through plastic tubing or plastic pipe not the air by its self that causes that static electric build up. In a compressed air supply there is no dust or particles to generate the static. Over the years I've had several aquariums with air pumps of all sizes, I have one now on a fish pond in the backyard, it runs year round 24/7 so I its hard to burn them out. Its restricting the air flow that does them in. But I've never put a pressure gauge on one to see how many pounds of pressure they can deliver, most people are only interested in the volume of air delivered. It would make for an interesting search --- hmmm dollars per pound. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Ps. just did a quick search
Quote ---( Need a multi-purpose high pressure pump for those big jobs? )
$67.99 Great for multiple aquarium setups
( Output pressure: 3.9 PSI )
I don't think a pump like this would cut it. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

rjustice
07-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Lin,
I tried an aquarium pump, and it didnt get the job done. It is close, but not quite good enough. For the money you can get a small campbell hausfeld 1 gal. compressor to dedicate to the machine. $59 from walmart. At 5 psi it does cycle on and off periodically, and keeps up fine.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Lin
07-13-2007, 08:46 PM
The pump I have isn't exactly for an aquarium...My BIL works for a place that builds air pumps and he gave us a few of them and we have used them for our aquarium...guess I need to find out from him exactly the PSI that these pumps produce. I need 5 to 10 PSI to get a decent out put of air for blow off? Will hooking plastic tubing up to z axis (so the tube will move with it as it carves) work?
Thanks for info concerning this...
Lin

rjustice
07-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Lin,
I am actually using the aquarium clear vinyl tubing. It is working fine for me attached to the flex shaft. Ken810 reports that the black rubber vaccume tubing used for automotive works great as well, and has very little resistance at all. We are taping it to the flex shaft...

Your pumps are definately worth a try. It doesnt take much to change out your air source after you run the tubing on the machine. I pinched down the tip of my copper tubing to provide a smaller oriface for the air to come out and amplify the velocity of the air.

Let us know how it works out for you!

Ron

Kenm810
07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Lin,

Here are a couple of photos from this forum, both have metal tubing terminating near the carving head to keep the jet or blast directed at the carving Bit area and are supplied with 5 to 10 lb. of compressed air through flexible rubber or plastic tubing, care must be taken not to interfere with the motion the Y and Z trucks while carving or measuring of the project. So far only a few folks are using this or even think it helps while carving with this machine. I do use the air jet myself, but its totaly up to the individual carver to decide if worth building and using one.
There's a ton of posts on the subject --do a search in this forum key words ( dust control ) and ( dust collection. ) http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

GRASSHOPPER
07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
I know some people say don’t use pvc tubing in your dust and chip collection system so naturally I did, not to prove anyone wrong, but because I’ve worked with it for years and if you ground every thing properly. No worries, I’ve had no static problems. Saying that here’s a photo of 11/2” pvc connected to the exhaust vent adapter on the back of my machine, it travels up and down freely through the top of my down draft cabinet, taking advantage of the negative pressure generated the DDC to draw out any fine dust that would normally be trapped in the machines dust collector. Nearly all the dust goes out through the bottom of the machine and is caught by the DDC filters. This is just to eliminate, and save me from having to clean the machines collector.

ps. And yes I too use a built in jet of compressed air in the area of the Carving Bit http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ken,

I assume that the PVC pipes are negative pressure and drawing the chips out. It looks to me like there would have to be a strong negative and the wood chips would still build static. Am I wrong?

pkunk
07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Ken,

I assume that the PVC pipes are negative pressure and drawing the chips out. It looks to me like there would have to be a strong negative and the wood chips would still build static. Am I wrong?
I'm not Ken but I'll jump in. The 'muffler' port is air that the motor fan generates. Therefore the motor is pushing & ken's down draft is creating negative pressure. That is enough to keep the chips moving towards the DC but not fast enough to create static. In addition,(I may be mistaken) static needs some arc to ground to happen. If the connection is constant, it's self disapating. It's been a subject of disention in the woodworking industry for years about static and plastic pipes & the stories of home shop explosions have all been proved false. In a large industrial DC system, with huge volumes of both air and dust/chips, plastic is frowned upon. However, I've seen shops with 12,000 CFM DC systems use 16" plastic sewer pipe with no problems. I've never had a static shock on my 3hp., 1800CFM system, & I touch it here & there every day. The lowly shop vac though, is a different situation.

Kenm810
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks pkunk , I couldn't have said it better myself -- plus I think you can type faster then me and my two finger method. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Hi Bruce,
High negative, Not really, I would 95 to 98 percent of the dust and chips are drawn out through the bottom of the machine directly into the slot in the top of the down draft cabinet. Very little actually makes it to the moderate negative pressure of the PVC mounted on the port at the back of the machine. It 's primary function is to gather any random dust particles that might reach that part of the machine. The PCV tubes at the entrance of my machine simply push or blow additional filtered air through the machine to help the low pressure Air Jet near the carving head keep the dust and chip off the project, and from settling inside the machine before the blower system pulls them out. None of the PVC come in direct contact with any metal or plastic parts of the machine or cabinet. Little or no dust in the PVC equals no static. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

rpringle
07-17-2007, 01:54 AM
I think your are both correct.

Stact electricity is an elusive problem, I would feel better if the plug from the CC had a ground third wire.
This could ensure us that the unit was properly grounded and that if we used the vacume on the same circuit they would have a common ground.

For me the best answer is to use a computer plug strip which will, hopefully, stop electrical spikes.

I think we have all found that this a GREAT PRODUCT with growing pains.

For me this is the best thing that has happened sense the home computer.

Each day someone invents a new way to use this GREAT toy.

I hope there are enough of us to keep the company profitable and give them time to grow and be a sucess.

The Apple Newtion was another good product ahead of it's time.

Let's give any reasonable support "LHR"to try to help it's sucess.

Russ

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Russ, Great lead in for more CW Machine ideas http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

I believe I’ve read in a couple of posts that we have more the a few Wood Chippers that also do, or are interested in Wood Turning. Some years ago I met a fellow that was kind enough to show me some of the basics. One thing led to another and eventually I was able to modify an old machinist lathe to do a little wood turning of my own, which I soon incorporated into my wood carving hobby. I was just wondering if anyone has tried to do the same by combining Wood Turning with some CW Carvings. I read a resent, post by one of our Senior Members, Dan-Woodman about how he was able to inlay a CW Carved project that resulted in combining different types wood allowing something new for many of us chippers to try.I feel a little Wood turning and CW carving together could lead to even more interesting projects. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

BobHill
07-17-2007, 08:23 AM
I marvel at the wood turners work and what they can do. Since I've already got too many directions with "free" time, I've held back from any of that, however. I'm just pleased to see the work of others in that pursuit.
Bob

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Bob, I really know what mean about to many different Directions,
Plus I'm afraid I have to count myself, like probably many other hobbiest,
that fine what we often refer to as free time sent with our hobbies
alway seems to cost us in one way or another. $$$$ http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

BobHill
07-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh boy howdy on $$$ ... a good thing that wives don't also pop into the forum here (oops ... but then Julie and a couple others be "one of us" rather than looking in from close proximity to "our" ways. <g>
Bob

rjustice
07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Bob, dont kid yourself.... My wife Lori definately scans through things here :D She is wanting to know what kind of crowd i'm hanging around with...LOL as well as get a feel for the "investments" being made...

:)

Ron

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Bob, Ron,
Sometimes I have to feel it’s beyond or control how things work out like this past Saturday was not quite the beginning of the weekend I had planned and was highlighted by a trip with Barb to one of her good friends Quilting Shop; She had mentioned that she’s been trying to show some interest in my carving hobby and asked or suggested that I should do the same and show a little interest in her Sewing and Quilting. Well this past weekend started good, I told her I was planning to stop by the woodcraft store after lunch to pick up some Hard Maple I needed. She suggested we go out for lunch and we could both stop by to pick up the wood, and then stop by the Quilting store to pickup some kind of thread she needed, it sounded OK to me, after eyeing the tuna fish and tomato soup she had set out on the kitchen counter. ---- Lunch went find Blackened Rib Eye and French Onion Soup. Now a quick drive to pick up the Maple, 10-15 minutes in and out the store tops, ----- 45 minutes and about a hundred questions later. I finally found myself standing at the check out counter. With the sales clerk staring over my shoulder at Barb still wondering aimlessly up and down the hand tools aisles. All I could muster was a weak smile, paid for the wood, gathered up Barb and headed for the door, still answering a salvo of questions. ---- Now its barb’s turn and we’re off to the Quilting Store. Well I really should have quit while I a head, --- as I walked through to front door I knew I was in trouble when I was Greeted by 5 little old blue haired ladies. -- Now Barb being a blonde and I would say a third younger than any of the blue heads, I guess I must have smirked a little as I looked over one of the fabric racks and asked Which one was her friend. I must have struck a nerve, for with a flash of her eyes came the answer She not here on weekends she owns the store. Opps I thought as I retreated to the other end of the shop, I honestly looked at several items while trying to take mental pictures of everything so I would have some intelligent answers for the quiz I feared would be coming later. Button, bows, zippers, yarn, needles and thread, - Thread you’d think I had found treasure. Barb looking at this and glancing at that slowly made her way over to the 50 racks of different kinds and colors of thread. As she studied each row of thread in each of the racks, my mind as it often does started to wander, still looking around, I happened to see a small table with what looked like skinny multicolored rolls of cord. Thinking I might be able to use it for something and maybe impressing Barb by actually buying something at her favorite Quilting Shop. As I started to unroll a few feet of the cord, a blue flash appeared in front of me out of nowhere with a pair of scissors in her hand. Stepping back from the table with the end of the cord still clutched in my hand, Now I’m not sure if it was a laps of good judgment or me just being a smart *** sometimes, or a little of both. Looking at the cord I heard her ask how long did I want it. But before I realized what I was saying, I answered with a smile ( Forever I’m not planning to bring it back ) I never hear such load Silence. As I turn my head (Yikes), there stood Barb staring in my left ear, I knew my next words out of my mouth, if the wrong words, I would regret them for at least a week. ( If you don’t mind I think I’ll wait for you in the car) I wasn’t to sure if I broke some secret quilters code or stepped over a unknown blue haired boundary, but I was sure I would find out sometime that night after I made my tuna fish sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner. Guess it could have been worse, I’ve had cold shoulder and grumble soup a few time before. --- But it boggles my mind how we never seem to see it coming. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Sorry someone left a soap box laying here and I just tripped over it.

rjustice
07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Ken,
Ok to prove that Men are from Mars, Women from Venus, I was just about busting a gut laughing at your story. Lori looks over at me and asks, "whats so funny" "is it one of your forum buddies saying something funny?" So I am grinning just imagining you walking around like Dennis the menace in a quilting store, irritating the "blue haired ladies"... almost innocently (but not quite). Lori says, let me see it. I told her to read it carefully so she didnt miss the humor, and she got through the whole thing and looked at me and said "i dont get it, whats so funny"....

Ken, I think we share a very similar sense of humor. The sad thing is it sounds like something i would do... very funny! Thank you for the laugh...
:D

Ron

GRASSHOPPER
07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
I marvel at the wood turners work and what they can do. Since I've already got too many directions with "free" time, I've held back from any of that, however. I'm just pleased to see the work of others in that pursuit.
Bob

There is an interesting arrangement in Berea KY. A liberal Arts College there fills up about a third of the town and the rest of it is shops that sell some really unique craft goods. One of the most fascinating things I saw (didn’t have enough money to buy one) were turned wood cowboy hats. These were large enough to wear and were turned from some really beautiful woods. They had the creases in the top of the hat and the brims were turned up on an angle toward the front. They looked for all the world like a cowboy had just taken it off. The only information I could get was that they use a large lathe and a lot of steam.

The arrangement I mentioned is that there is no tuition charged at the college. Every student is required to learn a marketable trade and make things to be sold in the town to cover their education.

Berea is having a fair some time this month. I was on a camping trip when I saw this place and will go back some day.

pkunk
07-17-2007, 08:27 PM
There is an interesting arrangement in Berea KY. A liberal Arts College there fills up about a third of the town and the rest of it is shops that sell some really unique craft goods. One of the most fascinating things I saw (didn’t have enough money to buy one) were turned wood cowboy hats. These were large enough to wear and were turned from some really beautiful woods. They had the creases in the top of the hat and the brims were turned up on an angle toward the front. They looked for all the world like a cowboy had just taken it off. The only information I could get was that they use a large lathe and a lot of steam.

The arrangement I mentioned is that there is no tuition charged at the college. Every student is required to learn a marketable trade and make things to be sold in the town to cover their education.

Berea is having a fair some time this month. I was on a camping trip when I saw this place and will go back some day.
I know a fella who bought one of these-he won't wear it, though.:)

GRASSHOPPER
07-17-2007, 08:33 PM
That is nice but it doesn't look as difficult as the cowboy hat

PhotoProf
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi All...
Delta makes a nice little downdraft unit (sits on a table top) that connects to a standard dust collector hose. Do you think sitting the carver on this would be sufficient for dust collection?

Digitalwoodshop
07-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I would think it would be a waste of money for one and two, it would then suck air from the vents on the bottom too. This could be a problem if dust is being sucked into your card slot near the 40 or so pins that connects your card and could cause dust to collect inside the bottom electrical compartment and over time could cause a fire due to the heat of the electronic components or premature failure due to the insulating properties of sawdust. The slot in the bottom of the unit between the belts is where 98% of the sawdust would go. The 2% that ends up inside the electrical compartment would be the problem.

I know some users have whole table down draft collectors and do not have any problems. In my case, I put sealing foam around the slot and just cut a hole in the bottom of my cart and installed a 90 degree pipe for the 4 inch dust collection. That gives better suction through the unit in my opinion.

AL

PhotoProf
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Since I already have the table, I wouldn't be out the $$ for that. I agree that a person would not want to draw air through any of the electronics. I would follow your idea and block areas so only the selected opening would receive the force of the vacuum. I may have to create a support system so the entire weight would not rest on the table.

Do you agree that static electricity would not be an issue with this set-up?

Thanks for the ideas and input.

GRASSHOPPER
07-18-2007, 03:26 PM
A question on these downdraft tables. With the openings restricted to the slot under the machine and the two PVC pipes, would a box fan sucking air through a furnace filter be enough air flow to do the job?

DocWheeler
07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Grasshopper,
In my opinion, whatever it is worth, a box fan would not work out. It would not move enough air, and if you restricted the airflow to the filter area I think it would soon burn up.
I was looking for the big/cheap combination to fit my table and ended up with a "squirrel-cage" blower of just less than 500 cfm. If I made another such table I would try to find a bigger one even though the one I have works well.
The alternate of course would be a dust collection system.
If you know someone in the H/V business, try them for a small old furnace blower.

Kenm810
07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Bruce,

If it helps this is one of my old posts. If not just type in key word "Dust" in the search option . http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Hi All

I’ve been puttering around my studio while waiting for my carving bits to arrive, and after reading some of the input to the forum. I thought I’d try my hand at building a down draft table.
We had some Heating guys replacing a heating & cooling unit, in one of shops. So I asked if they had any used furnace blowers I could buy, their head man said sure they get them all the time 2, 3, 4, a week. He told me he had one on his truck I could have right then. I offered to pay for it. He said don’t worry about it - they just throw them in the dumpster any way. 10 or 15 minutes later one of the younger heating guys brought in a 3 speed twin squirrel cage blower with its mounting brackets and wire harness. I gave him$20.00 for carrying it in, and told him to buy the guys some coffee. He said if I had any Problems with it just call they’d drop of another.
I mounted it in a three section table that I made from scrap 5/8” plywood with 2 five micron reusable filters between the input and output vents. I added a couple of forced air tubes on either side of front roller table to give the air a little boost through the machine. The rest of the air is vented out the side of the table. I’ve been running it at mid range about 800 cfm. The unit is very quite compared to vacuums on the saws or the negative pressure systems in the shops. It’s not even ¼ as load as a shop vac. I also found that 1 ½” SC 40 PVC fittings are 2 ¼” O.D. and fit into the dust outlet after removing the dust bag. I now vent it directly into down draft table. I mounted to the whole thing on 4” lockable wheels to move it around. Just to be on the safe side I added a static ground wire system through a 1meg ohm resistor to ground. I also have a small $15.00 hand Vac that I use for cleaning the corners in side the machine.

PhotoProf
07-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Amazing..... I just built and installed a down draft table and it is unbelievable what a difference it makes in chip collection. The work area is much cleaner and not near the amount of dust/crud in the machine itself.

Gman_Ind
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
I am serious about air quality (my shop is still my basement)
clean air and clean floors are not just a convenience it is a safety issue, if I track sawdust into the house I get whacked by the Mrs. with a frypan ;)
dust collection at each machine and an ambient air cleaner help reduce the dust settling elsewhere. It also speeds cleanup not having to sweep up jointer, saw, shaper, or planer chips every time I work some wood.

Kenm810
07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Mike,

If I may Quote you,--I am serious about air quality (my shop is still my basement)

Some new carvers may not know or realize that if operating a CC or CW machine, or for that fact any dust or chip producing power or hand tool in any part of the house that is heated or cool by a central forced air system. --- That the systems filters seldom stop the fine machined dust and well gather, carry, and distribute the dust to every room or place in the house that has an air register or vent. Including play rooms, bed rooms, and nurseries and so on, And if by chance your carving or cutting projects made of MDF or any similar Boards, You maybe inadvertently spreading a health hazard through out your house and home. Be careful. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Andy C
07-31-2007, 04:33 PM
If you remove the dust bag the hole in the machine is 1"

If you remove the bag from it's plastic bottom the inside hole will take a 1 1/4" hose. The outside ring will take a 2 1/4 " hose.

I created a Y fitting to my dust collector for the 2 1/4" hose size and no longer use the bag, just the bottom as an adapter.

Andy

PS
If you don't have dust collection it's a helluva lot easier to clean out the bag by taking it apart.

PSS
Since I have been using the Y fitting and 2 1/4 inch hose instead of the bag the unit runs much cooler in the electronics area.. The hose gets warm but the unit cover stays cool. It's been in the high 90's here and I've had no heat problems.

pkunk
08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
If you're serious about air quality (I am) get one of these.:) Keep kids & small animals at a distance.:rolleyes: 1800 cfm keeps the dust where it belongs-in the 55 gal drum.

BobHill
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I'll say. Your collection system alone would make me have to give up at least one of my larger power tools. It would be nice to have that much space ... and order to ones workshop <g>.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
08-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Couldn't resist..... "Boy I bet that $ucks!!!!!" Is that 8 or 10 inch ducting? And a muffler between the filter and blower?

Nice.

I have a similar filter and read in a wood working magazine to hold a orbital sander to it as a shaker for a better clean.

AL

pkunk
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Couldn't resist..... "Boy I bet that $ucks!!!!!" Is that 8 or 10 inch ducting? And a muffler between the filter and blower?

Nice.

I have a similar filter and read in a wood working magazine to hold a orbital sander to it as a shaker for a better clean.

AL
Ya Al, I need to redo my ducting because it necks down to 6". The muffler helps some, I can hear the Carvewright over the roar!;):D The filter has a built in brush: pull the handle down and back up again. If there's alot of really fine dust (like from the big sander) I'll hit it with an air blast too. It has a wire cage around it so a sander wouldn't do much.