PDA

View Full Version : Software Recommendation

GaryM
07-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Hello All, I have been trying to use Designer to change this scan so the holes are facing up, thereby making it possible to carve it with my CC. The way it is now it is too deep for the CC to carve and I have no other way of scanning it due to the depth limitation on the sled. If anyone knows of other software that will make this change please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Dan-Woodman
07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I think anything deeper than 1" and you risk hitting the chuck, or the bit holder.

What about if you had a longer bit, and made two programs out of it,one cutting say 3/4" deep and the next the rest. You would just have to jog the bit when it measured the board to the recessed area already carved.

GaryM
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Dan. Yes, I think that would work but I would rather find some software that can import a PTN file and allow me to rotate it in any direction.

I noticed when I use the editor for the PTN file it brings up two windows. One on the left and one on the right. The one on the left allows me to rotate it exactly how I need it but it will not save the changes. Now the window on the right will not allow me to rotate it but does save changes. I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of these two windows, especially the one on the left.

I'm going to look at scanning it a different way and see if I can jury rig the sled to allow the height I need. If that doesn't work I will try the longer bit idea.

Thanks again,

Gary

Jeff_Birt
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
The window on the left is a 'preview' it shows you how the pattern will look on the board, when you rotate it you are only rotating your VIEW of the pattern NOT the pattern. The window on the right is the actual pattern as the computer sees it, an array of dots ranging in shade from black to white. The shade of grey determines the height of that dot.

The pattern editor does not have the ability to rotate the actual pattern about the X or Y axis (you can rotate it about the Z-axis), it might be useful for tilting a scanned item slightly to level it but as the pattern is flat on the back and the machine cannot under cut you could only rotate a pattern that was realitivly flat and get it to carve.

Hope that helps.

sk8nmike
07-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Is there a reason that you have to carve it standing up? Change the design the that the height becomes the width, then do a double sided carve.

GaryM
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Jeff, now I understand it and it makes sense to me now.

Gary

GaryM
07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Is there a reason that you have to carve it standing up? Change the design the that the height becomes the width, then do a double sided carve.

sk8nmike, thanks for your input. No, it doesn't have to be carved standing up and a double sided carve will probably work just fine.

Gary

Gman_Ind
07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I have yet to try but a long and cheap 1/8" carving bit is the roto zip cuting bit, not the outlet cover cutout with he pilot section but the full spiral toothed one, down side is it is long might be weak and it is a down cut, pushing the chips down not up and out.

mtylerfl
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I have yet to try but a long and cheap 1/8" carving bit is the roto zip cuting bit, not the outlet cover cutout with he pilot section but the full spiral toothed one, down side is it is long might be weak and it is a down cut, pushing the chips down not up and out.

Hi Mike,

Please let us know if the rotozip bits work at all for you in the CC machine.

It's been my experience that the rotozip bits break way too often and too soon even in the RotoZip itself. Makes me think their bit design overall is rather weak to begin with.

rjustice
07-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Someone that purchased one of my 1/8 bit adapters off of ebay Emailed me and said that they were useing the RotoZip tools cut shapes out of balsa wood and it was working great. I am sure that balsa cuts much easier than cherry or maple, but might work on pine, perhaps poplar?.... I would love to hear if anyone else has tried it as well.

mtylerfl
07-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Someone that purchased one of my 1/8 bit adapters off of ebay Emailed me and said that they were useing the RotoZip tools cut shapes out of balsa wood and it was working great. I am sure that balsa cuts much easier than cherry or maple, but might work on pine, perhaps poplar?.... I would love to hear if anyone else has tried it as well.

Hello rjustice,

Yeah, I think the rotozips would do fine with balsa - practically zero stress, especially if he's cutting balsa sheets (as in RC modeling applications). Great idea for yet another use for our machines!

I've still got 13 RC planes hangin' in my gargage. Haven't flown for about 8 yrs. All scratch-built from plans only (no kits). Darn it! I think I'm talking myself into trying to cut out parts for an RC plane. Like I need another project to do...:)

rjustice
07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Michael,
Now that you said that I think that was exactly what he was doing... RC parts. And it was sheet stock... although he said he was cutting 1/2 inch thick stuff?... does the balsa come it sheets that thick?

Ron

mtylerfl
07-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Michael,
Now that you said that I think that was exactly what he was doing... RC parts. And it was sheet stock... although he said he was cutting 1/2 inch thick stuff?... does the balsa come it sheets that thick?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, balsa is available from 1/16" to 6" thicknesses (although over 1/2" thick balsa pieces are generally called 'blocks' not 'sheets').

rjustice
07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
This is good info for the carving community... thanks for the insight!

Ron