PDA

View Full Version : running on 230volt, help/thoughts!?

Hal72
07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi!

I have read some on this forum and still wonder if anyone from europe have bought one. It seems carvewright is working on a 230 volt version but this maybe take some years.

I can have it shipped to me via a firm in new jersey and run the machine with a good 230-110volt converter, But there still is the problems with the 60/50 hertz. I asume the step motor/servo are running on a small dc current, but maybe the drill is running on 110v. So may it will work fine for a couple of months but the drill will be fault. I have run many other things on 110 volt via a converter but this is some money and a "full" cnc router is to complex and big for me.

any thoughts/input will gladly be welcome:)

(and pardon my english, but I asume you understand my problem)

DocWheeler
07-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Hal,
Good to hear from you, and your english seems better than a lot of ours:) .
It appears that you should chat with Greybeard (UK) about electronic differences.
My understanding is that most everything is DC with the exception of the Cut Motor which I think is 110 AC as you suspect.
Are you not restricted by the EU?
I'm not adding much for you, just thought that someone should respond.

Hal72
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
thank you:) I have already bother greybeard.. LOL, and he also waiting.

I live in norway and we are not in EU, so I asume I only need to pay the local taxes.

Greybeard
07-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi Hal.

I think it would be a good idea for you to check if Norway has agreed to the environmental regulations that the EU members are signatories to. Sometimes the bureaucrats do sneaky things like that, and it may cost you more than you thought.

Good luck
John

Greybeard
07-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi Hal.

PS I've just checked -
quote...
After years of debate, technical arguments and delays, Directive 2002/95/EC on the Restriction of certain Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS - often misinterpreted as RoSH) and Directive 2002/96/EC on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) are finally in force across all 25 EU member states, together with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
...unquote

Digitalwoodshop
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
I wondered if also purchasing a GAS or Propane powered Electrical Generator with your carve unit to power it. Takes out all the power problems but your stuck with a way to power it within the regulations.

Another thought, a motor generator setup to convert 50 Hz motor rotating to 60 Hz AC generator.

Another thought, Solar Power, but with a mains power booster to the solar to run the 60 HZ generator?

AL

DocWheeler
07-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi Hal.

PS I've just checked -
quote...
After years of debate, technical arguments and delays, Directive 2002/95/EC on the Restriction of certain Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS - often misinterpreted as RoSH) and Directive 2002/96/EC on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) are finally in force across all 25 EU member states, together with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
...unquote

That is too bad, surprises like that are always unwelcome:( .

Hal72
07-13-2007, 04:20 AM
many good ideas here:)

I don't think the Directive 2002/96/EC will cause any problem. I will of corse check it out.

I have thought about maybe going from battery to 110 or an generator etc.. but before I build my house I only live in a small condo and don't have a lot of space or "work area". So the CW would be ideal.

But do you think the motor will cause much damage to running on 110v at 50 hertz?

Greybeard
07-13-2007, 01:08 PM
many good ideas here:)

I don't think the Directive 2002/96/EC will cause any problem. I will of corse check it out.

Checking it out might be quite sensible. I checked with both Customs and Excise, and the RoHS site for guidance on the legal position and to look for possible loopholes.
Perhaps Norway has a more relaxed attitude, but I very much doubt it.

John