PDA

View Full Version : Can you pause?

peep
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I want to carve a few longer carves but am worried about heat build-up in the cable/mchine.

Is their a pause?

If not, can you just open the lid and will it stop, and when you close it
30 minutes later will it just carry on with out effecting the carve?

Thanks

pkunk
07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Just opening the lid will work.

rjustice
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Peep,
Yes before constructing my downdraft table, I simply lifted the cover, cleaned up inside, lowered the cover and hit start to resume.... worked perfectly every time for me.

I am wondering what your concern is over the long carves?... I have had several 3-5 hour carves with no problems... If your flex shaft seems to be getting hotter and hotter the longer it carves, you may need to lube it. Is this your concern?

Ron

peep
07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks, I just bought a few clear tubes to make a shaft chain lube/molly soaker and a vaccuum suction tube.

My last carve was 9 1/2 hours. :O

Then after the carve I was brousing the forums and read about the shaft overheating. I just about had a heart attack. And I though tearing my sanding belt was the worst that could happen.

Thanks for the info guys.

Dan-Woodman
07-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I think we need to see pictures of this 9 1/2 hr. carve.

peep
07-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Dan-Woodman

I made a few versions of this, so I am not sure which I carved. but it was for the bottem rail of the stairs. (the wife is of viking desent ((I think bazerker shhhhh))). It was done on Paduk. Paduk was the carved area and the sourounding was mdf to hold it in the machine.

It came out OK, but I am just the handy man, the wife is the real artist. what ever I give her to finish always looks diffrent and beter.

I had to delete 2 of the serpent knots so I could upload the file here. it was longer.

Peep gone viking

Kenm810
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
(Peep gone viking), only thing to do, to past the time after the crops are in.

Very Impressive carving, Is the long boat next?
keep the photos coming, we love photoshttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

peep
07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Actually the next is the entire norman conquest at the battle of hasting when the vikings took over Britian. To big to post here, but will email it to you for some comments (and anyone ealse that dares).

Note: the king dies at the right.

Peep doing purpleheart

Kenm810
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
peep,

WoW, A truly ambitious Project for a carving http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

peep
07-23-2007, 01:15 PM
yep that's it. Its on a 10" wide board. Last three sections are over 8ft. I,m carving end first, but I will only be going 12' in total.

But need my second gear first.

You impressed me finding that tapastry.

Peep being Peep

p.s. now you know why I had to expand my memor card

Digitalwoodshop
07-23-2007, 01:15 PM
If your cable is hot, when you pull the cable make sure the spring is still inside the cable. I found my spring on the floor stepped on, having been out for over 2 days....

Remember OVER LUBE of the cable results in a buildup at the bearing of the cutter head or router and cause bearing failure. The excess lube in the bearing causes heat to build up until it destroys the bearings. Too much of a good thing is BAD.

Good Luck,

Excellent Artwork... Thanks for posting. Make an entry in the pattern section with just the posting of the PTN.

AL

Kenm810
07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
peep, Don't be to impressed, I cheated, it's just part of what I do for a living.
But your carving will really be impressive.
Like Al said please post when you have a chance. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Mike N
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I am cutting circles out and don't want them to fall into the machine after they are cut and I don't want to baby sit the machine. Can I put a pause fuction in my carving list to stop the machine so I can pull out the circle then hit proceed? Please don't tell me I can just lift the cover... I don't want to baby sit the machine. I would like to see this function in the next software release if possible.

any suggestions

Mike N

ruggybear
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
If you are using the Cut Path function to cut the circles there will be little small TABS left around the circle for you to break off to actuall get the circle out. therefore they will not drop into the machine and you could cut out a bunch of them on a board and when complete just break the tabs on each circle.

Ken

Mike N
02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't like the little tabs. I need these to be an exact fit and don't want to sand afterwards. It can't be that difficult to add a pause function to the software.

What I have to do now is baby sit and press stop when it finishes the cut then put my hand in to fetch it out and then proceed. I am using these on my rose engine lathe and the circles have to be exact to fit into other wood holes.

Mike

Dan-Woodman
02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Mike
You could use a sled and fasten the board, circles , etc down to the sled.
Do a search on sled lots of posts on this subject.

have fun
Daniel

Jeff_Birt
02-04-2008, 09:45 PM
If you are going to create projects that cut parts loose you need to run your wood through on a sled with it taped or hot-glued down. A pause is not going to help as the part you cut out will still be loose and there is no way of telling exactly when it will break loose during cutting.

That's the reason for the tabs. Even the 'big-time' software/machines use tabs for the same reason.