PDA

View Full Version : How do I cut out a circle/arc at the corner of a rectangle

Dubliner
07-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I want to maks a sign 18"x10", simple enough, yes, but I want to cut four arcs ( inwards ) 1 at each corner. How do I select the part of the rectangle outside the arc & delete it to leave a rectangle with curved corners. I would like to place text inside area & v carve both text & sign border. I've never used the other bits I've got before - any pointers appreciated - Dubliner

Gman_Ind
07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Unlike AutoCAD you shouldn't make a rectangle then edit in the arcs. start with the lines, use grid snap to get it right, then with the lines selected, add the arcs. Big hint, make sure all are selected as you go and the << >> show up at each endpoint. I have had success with this as well as failure, If you make one arc then mirror all 4 corners then add the lines the lines will actually mirror as well and end up overlapping. joining in the centers of the board might cause staggering lines (done that) or you can overlap and might get double cutting not visible in designer. did this as well.
best bet is take your time double check the end points and above all run a test carve before scrapping a good piece of wood.
Best of luck.

Jeff_Birt
07-12-2007, 01:38 PM
You can also add a vertex (point) into a line (well two actually) and then change the resulting new line segment into a curve, a.k.a. change form (all these options pop up when you right click on the line in question.