PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth it in the end?

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I have been working with this new cw toy for a few days now and I haven’t heard the motor come on yet.

The first problem was the board sensor and changing from maple to oak seemed to correct that.

Then I got as far as inserting the bit and had a problem with that. There was good help here on the forum and I got the chuck loosened up so I could get the bit in. I thought I was ready to roll.

I reloaded and didn’t even get to the insert bit point. I got:

Homing
Please check home sensor

Can’t find that in the book so I just used low pressure to blow away any obstruction, remember I haven’t carved a single thing yet. Still got the same thing and after pressing stop I got

Y/Z Homing fault
Error 246

Tried a couple things suggested on the forum here and the next time, at the same place I see:

Y/Z Error 310

I’ll try calling the 800 number tomorrow and see if I can get it worked out.

From reading the forum it seems that these things spend a lot of time on the road between home and somewhere in Texas.

This machine was a Fathers Day gift and I really don’t want to complain but the new son in law is wanting to see something carved.

My real question is, when I get this worked out is this thing really worth it?

Jeff_Birt
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Try updating Designer and your firmware to 1.120 and your homing problems will likely go away. Go to Help->Check for updates after updating Designer go to File->Flash manager to update your memory card.

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 07:10 PM
WE are having this discussion on two threads.

Thanks again, you seem like a really helpful guy.

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I am getting closer!!

After updating the firmware it went several more steps and kept asking me to load the bit. It would then go to each side of the machine and run up and down a few times then tell me to load the bit again.

The loaded project was for a board 0.75 inch thick and the actual board is 0.813 so I changed it in the software and reloaded it to the card.

This time it went through measuring the board and got to “finding surface”. As soon as the bit touched the board I got:

Z Axis stall
Error 246

This happened 3 times. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Bruce

DocWheeler
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Grasshopper,
That problem has disappointed many of us, but it is fixable - hang in there.

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks Ken,

What is usually involved in the fix?

ruggybear
07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I had the Z Axis Stall error 246. Called CW and they had me do a couple of tests while on the phone. Ended up they sent me a new Z motor via USPS priority mail. I talked to them on a Friday, had the new motor on Monday and replaced it on Tuesday.

Great service. Mailed defective motor back to them.

RC Woodworks
07-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Grasshopper, It might be to your atvantage to send it in for repair. I own 2 CC and my # 1 machine has recently been sent in for repair and has returned. At CW they are replacing known defective parts. Since it has returned it has ran great!

I have it to compare with my # 2 CC that never has been sent for repair. CW has figured out the causes to the problem you are having. We have all had the same problems. Like Jeff told you a lot of fixes come with the lastest update. Also that lastest up date may give you a check cut motor. It is a pain more then a problem. But CW has an update for it coming soon.

Trust me from a guy who exchanged 3 machines prior to just sending it in for repair! CW has produced a great little CNC unit. I own an industrial CNC also and for the money the CC is worth it!

Rick

tjelite
07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Ken,

What is usually involved in the fix?

Look at the 'bit finder' pdf in the stickies. This fixed mine...well, at least the Z axis problem.

Toby

badger
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
My problem so far has been board sensor, sent back received back in a week (so far not bad customer service), then I open her up and set back up and check a simple measurement and now I get the 246error. After checking the forums Im not liking my outcome that might include sending it back.

I would have hoped for a better machine spending almost 2grand working right out of the box and maybe getting errors down the road after use but so far I havent even been able to use it.

I also would have thought before they sent it back that everything was working when it left the factory. Afraid to call support and find out it has to go back again. Spending more time on the road then in my shop so far.

GRASSHOPPER
07-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks to Chris service support. the bit was missing the little thing that pops out on the far side to find the tip of the bit. It threw him for a while because it didn't fail there, it waited till it was finding the board surface. The fix was to remove that little plastic stiffener on the bearing scraper. I would have never looked there on my own.

The first try was a picture of my wife's poodles face. I turned out pretty good except it set in the dark area around the nose too far. I guess you have to learn what a look in the picture is going to look like in the wood and make touch ups. I can see where this is going to be fun!!

rjustice
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Congrats Bruce... glad you are making chips !! now prepare to really loose sleep... :)

Ron

oldjoe
07-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Depending on where you have your machine and if you live in a small house everyone will loose sleep. But I personally like the hum of the machine.
I have lost sleep just reading this forum and from looking at some of the times when things are posted I am not the only one.

DocWheeler
07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Bruce,
Glad to hear that you are humming!

GRASSHOPPER
07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I have sleep problems and haven't averaged more than 4 hours a night in years anyway. Now I can be in the basement instead of keeping the wife awake with the TV.

oldjoe
07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Bruce won't the machine keep her awake. I have mine conviently looked near the heating ducts. But that is the only place I can put it until I can finish the shop I want to build.

GRASSHOPPER
07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
The bedroom is on one end of the house and the machine is in the basement on the other end. R-30 insulation between the two and two closed doors. She won't hear a thing.

The basement is dehumidified too.

Gman_Ind
07-13-2007, 10:52 PM
lucky I set up mine right under the master bedroom, no insulation the forums keep me up the latest. my laughter might wake the Mrs on occasion.