PDA

View Full Version : Can't load bit

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I am taking my time getting this new toy/tool going and working through one issue at a time. The board sensor was #1 and pretty easy to resolve, the maple was too white. Here is #2.

I can’t insert a bit. The instructions say to **** the chuck by pressing up on the chuck release flange until the outer flange snaps up. After that it seems that the bit should just snap in.

The bit won’t snap in so I am assuming that the chuck is not cocked and I can not get the flange to move up no matter what I do. I noticed that there is a black plastic clip thing on the left hand side and thought that I may have missed a step in the set up and not removed a shipping thing but there is no mention in the book and from the pictures it looks like that thing stays in there.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jeff_Birt
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Welcome!

The black thing on the left is (was) the home sensor (when you upgrade firmware to 1.19 or above it is no longer used). New chucks can stick, there have been many threads about the subject with the general consensus of wiping the inside of the chuck with a bit of 3-in-1 oil on a rag. I have found that if you work the chuck up AND down it helps to free it up. BTW, for more advise on the chuck you can use the 'Search' feature in the red bar towards the top of the screen.

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I got the bit in and ran into a Z axis error, I am going to look for that using the search you recommended.

Should I take the plastic clip out?

Jeff_Birt
07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
No, leave it there. You do need to upgrade to the newest firmware though. Click on Help->check for updates in Designer, download the update and then update your memory card (Flash manager under 'File' menu).

GRASSHOPPER
07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I had updated the software but didn't realize that i had to do the flash card as well. When I did that it sent a log of the failures that I discussed on the other thread. I'll go back after dinner and see if the firm ware update helped. I don't expect it to but I'm not a computer expert so we'll see.

Do the CW folks respond to the problem logs that are sent in like that? That would be really cool.