PDA

View Full Version : Setting scanning points.

Julie Coffey
07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Alrighty, built the sled- scanned 3 different things- all turned out perfect, now on the 4th scan my machines gone wanky.

I'm trying to scan a 6.5x6.5" .5" max depth, centered width wise on the sled @ 10" from the edge of the sled itself. I go through the motions, choosing the first starting point, head drops down and I go to set the end point- the entire head 'jolts' but does not go down so I can accept that point. What I have discovered is that if I mess with it- and set the parameter scan area larger it will- in time drop down so I can accept this. But then that leaves me with added area on the scan, taking more time and I have to then screen cap the scan export it and trim it down. I'm sure I'm loosing detail by doing this too.

Certainly this is not normal, has anyone else experienced this?

BTW- a call to LHR said mines the first they've heard of with this particular anomaly, Yeah me :x

Gman_Ind
07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry for the bad news but when I had this I had to send my machine in.
The z axis sensor had broke and it moved too far, breaking the z-axis board?? thats what I was told before I send her back.

mtylerfl
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Alrighty, built the sled- scanned 3 different things- all turned out perfect, now on the 4th scan my machines gone wanky.

I'm trying to scan a 6.5x6.5" .5" max depth, centered width wise on the sled @ 10" from the edge of the sled itself. I go through the motions, choosing the first starting point, head drops down and I go to set the end point- the entire head 'jolts' but does not go down so I can accept that point. What I have discovered is that if I mess with it- and set the parameter scan area larger it will- in time drop down so I can accept this. But then that leaves me with added area on the scan, taking more time and I have to then screen cap the scan export it and trim it down. I'm sure I'm loosing detail by doing this too.

Certainly this is not normal, has anyone else experienced this?

BTW- a call to LHR said mines the first they've heard of with this particular anomaly, Yeah me

Hello Julie,

I have recently experienced the problem of the probe not descending all the way down to the sled surface when setting EITHER point. It actually stops in mid-air about 3/4" above the surface.

I am able to "fool" the probe by slipping a board underneath the object to be scanned (thereby effectively raising the sled surface by 3/4"). Works great after I do that.

However, CW has asked me to send in the machine since that particular problem has only been observed twice (my machine and somebody else's - the "somebody else" elected not to send in their machine).

Not exactly the same problem you are experiencing, but perhaps a similar root cause (?).

TIP: You do NOT have to do a screen shot of your scan in order to trim your scan. You already have a handy-dandy Crop Tool right in the Pattern Editor software itself. Just select the square box Selection Tool / then click and drag to draw your box tightly around the scan / go to the Edit Menu / then select "Crop" (or press Ctrl-g). Just so you know, after the pattern is cropped, you may not notice any difference on your display screen, but trust me, it worked. (You can test this by selecting any portion of your pattern, crop it, then you WILL see that area surrounding the box is gone!)

In fact, you should ALWAYS use the crop tool to closely crop your scanned pattern as your final step before you save it. If you don't, then when the pattern is ever rotated in the Designer software, it will "resize itself". Weird, but true.

Avoid the "resize" problem altogether by closely cropping your scans right to the edges on all sides, before you save it as a pattern. (If you don't crop exactly to the object's visible edges, then you'll still have the resize problem if your pattern is rotated in Designer.)

Julie Coffey
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, I HOPE 'Vince' (name of my machine) doesn't have take a road trip, I had hopes for a busy summer with him. Not like there aren't other things I could or SHOULD be doing but this machine is so darn much fun to play with!

I'll try adding some height to the sled and see if this will perhaps help it tonight. I'll drop a note here in the morning and let ya'll know how it turned out.

Keep your fingers crossed that 'V' doesn't have to take the big trip south. I am!

Julie

Jeff_Birt
07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Julie,

Just for the heck of it you might try to reflash and format your memory card. (make sure you use version 1.120)

Julie Coffey
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Alrighty then- Sorry guys I didn't get around to do the scan last night as promised. Went night fishing on the St. Jo river at 1:30 first I hooked into a 15lb snapping turtle that came out of the water at me like my ex-mother in law with an abscessed tooth! I tossed it in the back of my pick up, juries out on whether or not I'm comfortable enough to 'field dress the reptilian version of jaws' or not.
About an hour later something (probably a carp) nabbed my line and proceeded to near snap my pole in two (med weight 7') ruined my reel and caught me off balance yanking me knee deep into the river, then snapped my 20# spider wire like it was sewing thread. I just love this river.

I did get a return call from LHR today- apparently when I go to set the second setting I have to push 'enter' 2x quickly it over-rides the glitch. I'll try it tonight.

Anyone have any good turtle recipes? <g>

Julie

BoardSilly
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
BARBECUED SNAPPING TURTLE

After cleaning turtle, soak meat in salt water at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator if to be used the next day.

Parboil turtle in a pressure cooker or boiling pot until meat is ready to fall off the bones. Season the water with a dash of black pepper, dash of vinegar, some diced celery, and some bell pepper (1 bell pepper and 1 stalk of celery).

Combine the following and stir to mix well:

1 1/2 cups bottled barbecue sauce with onion bits
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash of bottled hot sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place turtle in suitable size baking dish based on amount of turtle you are cooking. Pour sauce over meat. Place in oven and let sauce get hot. Watch and baste often. When sauce is hot and boiling, lower the temperature to 200 degrees F. Minimum time in oven is usually 30-40 minutes.

Julie Coffey
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Want to come help me field dress the sucker? Or better yet, can I borrow your Tazer? <g>

Julie

jonweis
07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Want to come help me field dress the sucker? Or better yet, can I borrow your Tazer? <g>

Julie

Julie..... First step is to get it hanging upside down and then grab the beak/head with a pair of pliers, pull and whack off the head! Then let it bleed out for a few hours. From that point it's not all that hard to dress out.

pkunk
07-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't- I repeat DON'T use the liver or other organs. DAMHIKT ;)

Julie Coffey
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice- lets say dinner at my place say in about 2 weeks?

Julie

Julie Coffey
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Well I cheated a bit and put in another board underneath the item I was scanning and it took the set points like no bodies business.

Also and I dont know how this happened but my firmware on the card was at 1.13. I had to reinstall 1.20 and reflash it but now its up to speed as well.

Will let you know how things progress.

J