PDA

View Full Version : windows vista

bamaman315
07-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I just ordered my second compucarve machine, is there anyone using designer with vista? are there any know problems with that version of windows?

Skyhawk
07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I used Designer with Vista for a while without any issues...I've since reverted back to XP due to a few compatability issues not related to Designer, but it should work fine!

pkunk
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I just bought a laptop with Vista (don't ask) dual core,1gig ram. It works OK, but not as fast as on the Mac, and it's crashed several times on me when I was trying to make an oval. Get lots of ram-I thing 2 gigs would be minimum. In my case though, maybe centerline text is the culprit as it's a real memory hog.

dcurrysr
07-09-2007, 06:42 AM
I have been using designer with Vista for about 3 months and haven't had any problems.
Dave

oldjoe
07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I too am running Windows Vista. I bought a laptop so as not to tie up the family computer. Hard to find anything new without Vista. Carvewright works fine slow but Vista is so big I think that what slows thngs down. Course I just bought the least expencive lap top I could find at the electronics super store ( Walmart). But I have noticed the slowdown on other programs as well. I have been warned by people that W.V. in the professional level really is really bad at taking up space. :mad:

mikesmall
07-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Finally something I can help with. Here's a quick and cheap way to improve your Vista performance...

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2006/11/faster_vista_faster.html

If you find that Vista is not all it's cut out to be with this software, you might want to try using the "Compatibilty Mode", which will run your app in native XP (or whatever Win OS you want). It will still likely be slow so you might want to use the trick mentioned above.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Good Luck,

Mike

oldjoe
07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks Mike sorry I didn't get back sooner and have been to busy to look at the website. And I know the feeling about being able to help. My thing is when ever I see something I can help with its too late and many people have already responded. Or I just repeat something someone already has said.

oldjoe
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Mike I finally got around to following up with your advise and read that forum on Windows Vista. I went out and bought a 2g flash drive for $19.99 at Best Buy it will supposedly speed up or inhance Windows Vista operation without having to purchase more ram. Don't quite understand the how or the why. :confused: When I get home I will install the flash drive to see if it helps. I will keep my progress posted so other members that have Windows Vista will know what to expect
Thanks Again

Gman_Ind
07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
I know a guy that worked at BBuy and they focus on selling you stuff insead of fixing the problem. No offense to anyone who might work there but they don't have the best trained staff. I have fixed PC's for my minimum rate ($50)
they quoted a $300 price and the system would be re-loaded needing all the programs and settings to be re-installed.

I hate to admit I am an IT guy 40 hrs a week.

All the flash drive might speed up is the file saves and opening, IF you have USB 2.0 ports and a slow hard drive.

rjustice
07-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Mike, I cant figure out for the life of me how a flash drive would save money instead of getting ram instead?.... USB would certainly be much slower than RAM or the hard drive bus for anything that would be RAM related... any thoughts? I havent moved to Vista yet, so i am very curious as to what the "trick" could be...

Ron

pkunk
07-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I read somewhere about a freeware app that did that. Can't remember.....CRS:confused:

Jeff_Birt
07-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Vista can make use of flash to do things like store page files, and allow faster restore from hibernation. There is a good video on the subject on channel9.msdn.com from a couple of months ago.

oldjoe
07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the input the only problem is you are all speaking Latin and I still am speaking English, so let me summarize what I think you are saying in plan English. If you really want to improve Windows Vista RAM is the way to go. The flash drive is just like a little storage cabinet where you would keep your most frequently used router bits (information? ) so you can get at them quicker or WV can get reload them faster. rather than having to go thru the whole tool box. One of the self proclaimed computer experts at work said that it is just adding virtual memory to the computer then laughed the whole thing off saying it would not do anything.
I put in the flash drive and a window came up and asked if I wanted to reserve 1830MBs and that is what Windows recommended to do. So I did I followed all the instructions and now it is in. Can't tell for sure if anything is faster or not because this is the first place I go. So Jury is still out in my book.
Oh flash thing works on Macks to not sure if that is a computer or a truck,

mikesmall
07-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Joe,

The Flash option takes advantage of a feature new to Windows Vista called "ReadyBoost". It does quite a bit on the back-end and shows performance enhancement for a lot of applications.

I look at it this way... If the computer's CPU (processor) is like a car's engine, then using the "ReadyBoost" feature of Vista is like an octain boost. It's meant to enhance performance and can provide a little advantage you would not otherwise have. When it comes to graphics intense programs, even a little bit can help a lot.

I hope this helps.

Ed Kreyling
07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Greetings Everyone,

I loaded Designer on to a Vista Home Premium laptop. When I try to use the Text editor to put text onto the board I get an error from Vista when I try to enlarge or move the text. The message I get is: "gui.exe has stopped working. Windows will close it and alert you if a solution is found."

I do not have the same issue on an XP laptop. Anyone else notice this?

Ed

oldjoe
07-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I had the same problem with my laptop. I did take some advice and ran out and put on a flash stick made for Window Vista ready boost. I can't say 100 % yet that it cured the problem but I have not seen it lately. What I have noticed is the longer I am working on a design after awhile the computer will start to hesitate more and do some funky things. Like if I put in a text box and go to move it doesn't follow the cursor. I have to zoom in and out on the board then it will move. But again this only seems to happen if I have been working on the designer for a longer period of time. When you first open it everything works fine.

rjustice
07-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Something possibly to try would be to run designer out of "XP" mode I'm not sure how to configure it, but i know that you can run in legacy modes. Maybe someone will chime in to let you know how to do that. I have been running the 1.029 version for centerline on a older laptop with absolutely no slowdowns, or issues at all??

Ron

oldjoe
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Are you saying there is a way to run Vista in an XP mode? Or do I have to get XP

BoardSilly
07-22-2007, 11:45 AM
To run an program in XP mode:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Locate the applications executable. (gui.exe)
3. Right click the executable and click the Properties option.
4. Select the Compatibility tab.
5. Select the "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode" option.
6. From the drop-down list, choose the operating system mode you want the program to run in.
7. If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administrator.
8. Click OK.

rjustice
07-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Are you saying there is a way to run Vista in an XP mode? Or do I have to get XP

Yes... You can choose what format to run in. 2000, xp, vista...

Ron

rjustice
07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
There ya go... thanks boardsilly!

Let us know if it works.

Ron