PDA

View Full Version : machine shutdown

truckin
07-08-2007, 10:03 AM
yesterday i was carving a sample board and about a 1/3 of the way through the machine quit. i mean no error message nothing displayed on the screen nothing. i tried turning the switch off and then back on, turning off the power supply and then back on. even checked the cover. the machine was dead. then i tapped the top of the machine right above the key pad and it came back on. the screen came to life went to the menu and just as quickly shut off. that is as far as it will power up. has anyone had this problem. is there something that has vibrated loose inside? i'm not afraid to explore inside this thing but i want to see if anybody else has had this problem first?

Jeff_Birt
07-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Truckin, 'Search' is your friend. I did a quick search for 'dead machine' and came up with many hits, like:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3227&highlight=dead+machine

So, in short, a few other people have had the same problem, most have been related to a failing power supply. Follow the link above and do s search for even more ideas. You will probably have to call CW tech support tomorrrow, they will walk you through some simple checks and send you the part needed (if you feel comfortable working on it yourself).

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
A coil in the power supply vibrates as the machine operated and at some point the copper wire brakes. It is glued down, but my L2 coil still broke. They will send you a new board.

Tapping the top makes it start and stop working. Lay it on it's back with the keypad to the left and bottom toward you and it will run all day..... Gravity holds the wires together.....

AL

Gman_Ind
07-09-2007, 09:25 AM
My first machine died like that 1 hour of carving time. I exchanged it at Sears for a new one.
I hooked a shop Vac to the muffler, bad idea, I might have killed it with static discharge.