PDA

View Full Version : cutout tool not there

dustyshp
07-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I am trying to make a cutout to place a sewing machine in a cabinet top.
I made the pattern using splines and arcs.
I have looked for broken lines and can not find any.
I am sure I am missing something simple just can't find it.
The pattern cuts fine to different depths but would like cutout.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I have tried to attach mpc and zip file but keep getting fail to load file error.
I will try and add attachment later.
Dusty

mtylerfl
07-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I am trying to make a cutout to place a sewing machine in a cabinet top.
I am sure I am missing something simple just can't find it.
The pattern cuts fine to different depths but would like cutout.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I have tried to attach mpc and zip file but keep getting fail to load file error.
I will try and add attachment later.
Dusty

Hello Dusty,

After drawing your pattern, you should be able to simply select the Cutpath tool, provided all the lines are indeed connected.

Too bad we can't view the mpc so that we could help you troubleshoot. Hopefully, they'll get the attachments working again soon.

Digitalwoodshop
07-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Hate to say it but I played this game myself and in the end I had 2 nodes on top of each other but NOT connected. As you draw your cut out the next node you select and attach must glow red before it connects. You could always redraw it on top of the first then delete the bottom or old one.

AL

newcarver
07-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I've had the same trouble with creating cutouts from arcs and lines etc. The software will not let me sselect cut out unless i use outline pattern. Until i figure it out i just select bit and choose cutting bit and set your depth.

Jeff_Birt
07-07-2007, 08:50 PM

Yes, you are on the right track; your path is broken. If it is not already visable bring up your carving list. Your path that you wish to cut out should be ONLY ONE entry. Select each entry in the carving list and see what gets highlighted on the drawing window, this should help you locate the broken area. When you hae an idea of what intersection is broken select an end point and move it about, when you get it in the correct area to merge with the other line you will see a red >< sort of looking thing appear around the point. When you release your mouse button one entry will dissapear in the carivng list, confirming the objects have been merged.

Dan-Woodman
07-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Also you can enlarge or magnify the picture zooming in on any piont to really get a closeup look at any piont. Thats seems to help a lot.
My mouse has a wheel that when you turn it , it brings the picture up close .
Daniel

newcarver
07-08-2007, 09:12 AM
That helps and does work thanks.
Another thing i've notices is with the check cut motor error is that it only does it for me when i have a carving and plus cut outs. if its just cutouts or just lettering(outline) i do not get this error.
I alos noticed i only tear belts when i'm routering with it, i did check the presssure with a bathroom scale and its good. Have not figured out what the stepping is about when cutting out projects though.

dustyshp
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your help
I found the problem.
I looked at the carving list and I only had one cut.
Zoomed in on pattern and could not see anything wrong.
I then selected Make spline tool and started selecting the junction points. This makes a mess of the pattern but when I found the one open junction it jumped right out at me. It was an overlap where the points did not join. After joining the points (cutout tool appeared) I selected the ChangeForm Tool and selected the points and the pattern returned to its original form.
Again thanks for the help
Dusty