PDA

View Full Version : Not seeing the board

jimbu
07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I just received my carvewright yesterday and am not real excited about it. Can someone help me get excited?
First problem, I scanned a picture of my great granddaughter and sized it to 6"x6" I put the card in the machune and loaded the wood (6x6x1/2").
It carved the picture 1"x1". I got back on my Mac and printed it out from the carvewright software and it was 6x6.
What am I doing wrong?
Second problem is on a 2"x18"x1/4" gold painted wood mounted with double stick tape on a 3"x 18"x1/2" plywood, the machine keeps telling me to load the wood. I have tried to correct both problems numerous times and finally gave up in disgust.
Jim

RC Woodworks
07-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Jim, did you select to keep it under the rollers? If so it will reduce the size of the work. The gold color may be throwing off the machine, it needs dark colors to see the board. Try some blue masking tape on the edge and it should be able to read it.

Rick

Lin
07-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Jim,
I myself am really new at this with only two carvings under my belt but I'll try to help. If your board size in the Designer software is 6"x6" you will need to add aprox. 7" to the LENGTH of the board to "Stay Under the Rollers" when loading it into the machine for carving. This will maintain your size issue. Also remember the minimum thickness of wood that the machine will take is 1/2" thick...any thing under may not want to run. I'm not sure what error you will receive if the board is to thin. The "not finding board" is I believe is probably because of the color of your wood. The machine sees the lighter colors better. Placing a strip of masking tape on the wood seems to help the sensore read the darker wood colors. Hopefully the gurus here will see your message before long and also give you their take on the issues your having.
Lin

Lin
07-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I was typing at the same time Rick...lol
If those two items are what's wrong...I feel good that maybe I have learn something...
Lin

RC Woodworks
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Jim, I never use the roller option and it comes out right everytime. It is your choice.

Rick

Jeff_Birt
07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Jim,

The first thing you should do is read the manual a few times. No really, I'm being serious. The manual does a good job at answering all the basic questions about the machine. I even keep a copy in a small binder out in the garage for quick reference.

This forum is also a great place to look for answers, start by using the 'Search function in the red bar towards the top of the page. For example I just seareched for "carving too small" and this post was the second thing it found: http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3958&highlight=carving+too+small

It's a great place to start and if you don't find what your after (or if what you find does not make sense) then you have the ability to pose a more informed question, "I am having problem X, I searched and found something close "what I found", but it does not exacly match my situation. This extra bit of effort on your parts helps out all the nice folks here who are willing to lend a hand and many times you will find the answer you need right away.

Carving photo's can be tricky as the machine interprets shades of grey as depth information. Much has been written about it on the forum, I'll leave it up to you to research further.

Dan-Woodman
07-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey Jim
The manual also states the minumum board length is 7"
Let the leaning curve begin.
later Daniel

jimbu
07-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys.
Evidently the lumber has to be much larger then the carving or the sensors do not see it, however the manual states the minium width is 2" the board I was working on was 2" and 18" long. I tried putting it on a sled 6"x18" and it still would not "see" it. Blue masking did not solve the problem.
A much larger peice of lumber 8"x18" solved my problem. I then cut it down to the 1/4" desired size and it looks great. I know practice makes perfect and hopefully I will be able to assist one day.
Thanks again for the help.
Jim

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Where do you think all of the knowing answers come from.... I had my head cranked up too high... Board too small, image scaled.... All from doing it WRONG and learning or like Jeff said... READ the Manual and this forum and when something happened with your carve machine it will be less stressful because you know what to do...

Good Luck

AL