PDA

View Full Version : just took my CC back to sears...

tjelite
07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Going to try again, though. Started with the Z stall error, bit found that to be the bit plate issue, and fixed it by trimming the bearing wipe per the pdf.

Got about 1/3 through a project, and started getting the 'cover open error'. Checked all the connections, but nothing seemed to help.

I found the thread about pulling the plug on the Z axis, but had already called sears by then. Called a store close to my shop, and they said it would be a week, since this is a non-stock item. So, I called the store I bought it from (who had it in stock), and they said that they would have to order it, as well. Apparently, the one I bought was only in stock because it had been returned! They never told me that! They said it had never been used, and the accessories did seem factory sealed, but who knows how old it was, or if it had been dropped, or something. It was also on display, so anything could have happened.

Another interesting thing to note...there was sawdust inside. Not much, but some, and the odometer had about 20 minutes of motor run on it. Sears said that it was from 'factory testing'...why do I doubt that.

Anyway, now I get to start with a fresh machine. If need be, I'll go through the various fixes here, or worst case, send it to TX.

I've got high hopes for this thing...

Toby

RC Woodworks
07-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Toby, trust me from a guy who exchanged 3 machines before just sending the unit to Texas. I thought well the next one will be ok! I own 2 CC and I have sent my #1 machine in for repair twice. This last time they got it right, that thing is working fantastic!

My #2 machine is getting the close cover errors, that is a switch problem. So when I get the new switch it should be fine. I know it sounds strange but I hope I need to send in the #2 machine. At CW they replace parts they found defective and I tell you my # 1 machine is the differnce between day and night!

If you like the CC send it in for repair, trust me you will stress yourself out exchanging machine after machine. Plus I found out from CW the check cut motor is a software issue. They will have an update soon.

So welcome to the forum and enjoy your CC! I own 2 and a Shopbot so I am hooked!!! Oh it does help I own a sign shop!!!

Rick

tjelite
07-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Well, my new machine came in. Firmware was correct, out of the box, so that's a start. Bit finder worked first time...even better.

Then, about 2% into the carve, I got a Zaxis stall error 246. So, I restarted. Went through all the startup steps, and then, when 'carving project' started, it rammed the 1/16" bit into the wood, shattering it. Good thing the plastic cover was there.

So now, it looks like Sears doesn't even stock the bits for this thing, so I have to wait to try again.

I'm not having fun yet...

Toby

Mikewiz
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey,

Call CW and send the machine to them for repair. It's better to repair the machine then keep exchanging it for one that may need repairs also. My machine was sent for repair and they found a bunch of stuff that was not assembled right in China. Now my machine works great!

Gman_Ind
07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Hang in there I exchanged my first one it completely died. The second one had some small issues that I fixed but when it refused to carve and scan I sent it back and returned in better shape than I received it new.
SHE STILL WON'T SCAN but I have too many carvings to get out to mess it up trying to get it scanning.

ruggybear
07-12-2007, 02:19 PM
TJ,

Call CW and send it in. Sounds like a classic Z-xais issue. Mine did the same thing after a few carves. CW fixed it and it runs great. Don't keep exchanging with SEARS and that was CW's advice to me as well when I called them.

Dan-Woodman
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Gman
One thing to check is this.
During my replacement of my z-axis motor,I removed the LITTLE ribbon cablefrom the z-azis board that come from behind the chuck. When I inspected the end of the cable , one of the wires on the end was bent back where it plugs into the z-circut board.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your scanner not working , but it might be worth a try.

Later Daniel

ruggybear
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
When I replaced my Z motor I also had one of those foil contacts folding back. I was lucky enough to straighten it out and get the cable into its place.

tjelite
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
after a few minutes with a CW tech, and a new bit, I finally made two successful carves.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Toby

BobHill
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Great news, Toby. That should set the world right again <g>. I know the feeling, as do a lot of us.
Bob