PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the outside of a pattern

Omobono
07-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I am curious if it is possible to add on a margin around the outside of a scanned pattern. One way that occured to me, but I'm not sure is possible, is to increase the dimensions of the pattern 1/8" larger than I intend to carve it, outline that, then reduce the dimension back to what I intend to carve, outline that, and then carve the region between the two outlines to a depth that is just slightly higher than the highest point on the edge of the pattern. Anyone tried anything like this? Is it possible to work with regions between two outlines like this?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff_Birt
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Try it out with some concentric circles or rectangles to get the hang of it. Basically you would start with the outer most outline and carve the entire region to the desired depth of your border. Then select the inner most outline and carve that region to the depth of your carving. Group the three objects and play with the merge settings until it comes out right.

BobHill
07-04-2007, 01:10 PM
If you do a pattern outline path, you'll have a "new object" which you can then enlarge outside of the pattern and that will give you what I believe you are asking for.

Bob