PDA

View Full Version : Z axis travel

KLS
07-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I am thinking of buying one of these machines but was wondering if someone could tell me what the maximum Z axis travel is, not just max cut depth? I am going to need to carve something that is about 4.5" thick on one end but only .75" for the rest. The actual cut depth would be no more than .75" but the cutting tool would have to travel further than 1" to make up for the 4.5 inches on the one end. I am guessing a sled would have to be built to make this possible, but if the max Z travel is 1" then it isn't going to work.
Thanks

pkunk
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
A tapired sled would work except with it you'd exceed the 5" limit.

Kenm810
07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
What you describe sounds like a piece of stock shaped something like a letter "L" laying on it's back,
4.5 at the high end and .75 along the rest of the project.
Even with a Sled the pressure rollers could only fallow one height along the lower .75
and not be able to get up and over the 4.5 end

BobHill
07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
How about making an angled surface sled and pre cut your wood to the maximum slopped shape (band saw) to match the slopped sled surface. Now the machine will see the surface as flat and you can set the carving depth to that surface. Wouldn't that work? Or ... make your carving on a flat 4.5" or 5" block of wood to the .75" depth, then use the band saw to cut the proper wedge shape to it on the backside.

Bob