PDA

View Full Version : Changing Orientation of Scanned Object

GaryM
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello All. Is there a way to change the orientation of a scanned object before or after you download it into designer? Right now when I scan an object and download it into designer it remains unchanged and appears exactly as you scanned it.

Any help appreciated.

Gary

mtylerfl
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Hello All. Is there a way to change the orientation of a scanned object before or after you download it into designer? Right now when I scan an object and download it into designer it remains unchanged and appears exactly as you scanned it.

Any help appreciated.

Gary

Hello Gary,

I'm sure you already know you can rotate a pattern placed on the board layout to any angle orientation you wish, so I assume you are asking how to permanently change the orientation of a pattern itself.

You can change a pattern's orientation in the Pattern Editor...

You can Flip Horiz and Vert., Rotate 90º CW, Rotate 90º CCW, Rotate 180º when you have the pattern opened in the Pattern Editor. You can also change the orientation to any angle (visually) using the "Rotate Tweak Tool" (under the "Tools" Menu or press the letter "n" to engage it). Takes a little getting used to, but it works. (Unfortunately, you cannot type in an exact angle amount like you can in Designer.)

If you want to change the orientation of a pattern you already imported into the Designer Library, just double-click the pattern in your Designer Pattern List and it will start up the Pattern Editor where you can change the orientation as I just listed above. Change to the desired orientation, then save it and your pattern will now be available in the new orientation.

(Of course, all of this assumes you have the Scanning Probe Pattern Editor software.)

GaryM
07-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the help Mike but I can't do what I want. It is scanned on it's edge, which is about 1.5" deep, meaning I would need a board at least 1.5" thick to cut it. What I want to do is just rotate it so it will go into designer and lay flat on the wood and not on it's edge. Then I could cut it on standard 3/4 thick wood.

Thanks again for the help.

Gary

mtylerfl
07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the help Mike but I can't do what I want. It is scanned on it's edge, which is about 1.5" deep, meaning I would need a board at least 1.5" thick to cut it. What I want to do is just rotate it so it will go into designer and lay flat on the wood and not on it's edge. Then I could cut it on standard 3/4 thick wood.

Thanks again for the help.

Gary

Hello Gary,

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Do you have a picture available? I guess I'm not clear on what you need to do. A photo (or the pattern itself) might explain all.

BobHill
07-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Gary,

If I'm reading you right, you have a scanned image (and it doesn't matter if it's a scan from the Probe or from something like PhotoShop), which automatically makes it a raster image, with or without a background. Repeating a raster fact, ALL RASTER IMAGES ARE ALWAYS RECTANGULAR IN SHAPE, but all can be rotated either on a flip or by 90°, or by setting any angle you'd like in Designer by writing in the angle in the dimensions section along with depth, height, size. You can ONLY rotate a raster image. Note that all images will have what's called a bounding box outlining the perimeters of the image. In designer, the bounding box (always a rectangle white outline) is always centered on the image and the box does not rotate, but does expand and contract with the boundary of the image as it's rotated. The image size will stay the same regardless of the rotation, but the box will change, thus the dimensions in the size will change (but not the actual image). Does this explain what's going on?

If you wish to change the size of the image, you can do that by just putting your curser on one of the red dots of the bounding box path and pulling out or pushing in as you'd like it. Just remember that as you change the size, you are seeing the size of the bounding box, which is the outside dimension only of that view of the image at whatever angle you have turned it. If you wish the image to be a specific size prior to putting it to another angle, be sure you do the measurements in a square on view which best displays that dimension to the bounding box.

Bob Hill
TampaFlorida

GaryM
07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Mike, yes I have a picture but don't know how to upload it. Can you PM me your email address and I will forward it to you?

Thanks,

Gary

GaryM
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks Bob, for the help. I am going to try and do it the way you described and will get back with you as soon as I try it.

Thanks,

Gary

P.S. I see you are in Tampa. I am in Deland. I was born in Plant City and raised in Tampa.

BobHill
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
You are welcome, Gary. Let us know how you make out. Great area to live in, isn't it ! I don't often get much beyond Sandford as a normal routine, but Orlando is just a hickup away, that's for sure.

Bob

GaryM
07-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Bob, can you PM me an email address and let me send this file to you? Maybe you could look at it and tell me where I am going wrong. I would like to do a carve today. It's only 31 KB in size.

Thanks,

Gary

BobHill
07-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Gary, I don't mind posting my email address publically: bobhill@ij.net. Give it a go.

Bob