PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole bit

ljdm
07-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Anybody use a keyhole bit in the CC yet? Wondering if I could just set the depth, and then draw a line for the path to follow. Just substitute the keyhole bit for the carving bit?

DocWheeler
07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
ljdm,
As someone has said - "why do that when you would have to shut the machine off to get the bit back out?"
I do not think that this would be a practical option.
Just my opinion.

pkunk
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I can't see how you could program the CW to plunge the bit, move it horizontally aways, then back out through the plunge hole. :confused: There are some things that we still use routers for and it ain't all that difficult.:p

swhitney
07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't think the keyhole bit would work because the deeper ya go with the machine, the more passes it takes to get there, rendering the "keyhole" idea useless.

cajunpen
07-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Looks like this CW machine is creating a new breed of woodworkers - lazy:p
Come on guys and gals - it's woodworkiing - and it is supposed to be relaxing and satisfying - even the dreaded sanding part.

ljdm
07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Looks like this CW machine is creating a new breed of woodworkers - lazy:p
Come on guys and gals - it's woodworkiing - and it is supposed to be relaxing and satisfying - even the dreaded sanding part.

Lazy? I prefer inventive. Machine is better at centering exactly where the keyhole goes, so whatever you hang is straight. Just trying to avoid human error.

Gman_Ind
07-09-2007, 09:33 AM
I do a lot of plaques and signs with keyholes. I also carve my shop name into the back, I peck a center hole to speed up the layout, then use a small trim router to make the keyhole.