PDA

View Full Version : A lot of loose quick releases...

cycollins
07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm noticing quite a few posts about quick-release chucks coming loose (literally unscrewing themselves, especially during long carving projects). By an odd coincidence, I was attempting to carve purple heart wood (certainly the hardest wood I've ever attemped on the machine) and my chuck started to come loose and now seems to want to come off at every opportunity. I can tighten it back up but I can't get too much leverage behind it for lack of a tool to hold the spindle where the flex-shaft attaches while applying a wrench. rjustice has a tool of his own construction for doing that and I've contacted him for one, but in the mean-time I was wondering whether a little loc-tite might be in order. Obviously not the red permanent stuff, but perhaps one of the other formulas that claims to be removable. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this? Has this been suggested before and declared illegal by the CW support folks? I'd love to take another crack at that heart wood, but until I can get the quick-release to settle down and stay put, I'm goint\g to have to go back to poplar.

cycollins

cycollins
07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I only had to read a little further down the list to find a post from Chris, saying, "Use blue loc-tite". It also said tighten with all your might, which scares me a little. I don't like to over-do anything on the machine, but I'll get one or rjustice's spindle imobilizers and heave to.

cycollins

forqnc
07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I wish mine would loosen up.
see http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26618#post26618