PDA

View Full Version : Problem measuring boards

oldjoe
06-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Having a slight problem with machine, at the beginning of a project it will try to measure the board but after it feeds all the way to the right as you look at the key pad it does fine. then when it moves over to the left and as soon as the roller drops off the board it reads. Center on board so I say yes but then it tries to measure the rest of the board and it just sits there and clicks. But if at the beginning of a project I press 7 to measure board it works just fine to within .010 which I think is good. My Stanley lever lock is probably out by .005.
Any Ideas whats going on/

liquidguitars
06-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Sometimes you could clean the rollers and board sensor, look for dirt up in the sensor and or check your wood stock for warps or knots, also ya could try tape over the board if your wood is brown or redish. If your CW just slows to a crawl then just reboot, and look for twisted lumber.

LG

Kenm810
06-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Oldjoe, I’ve had it happen with my machine a couple of times, everything just the way you describe it. The carving bit just sits there making a light clicking sound, as if it were thinking what to do next. I tried opening and closing the lid, press stop and enter, cleaning the track, rails and sensors. I even turn the machine off, removed the memory card and started over. After doing all of that and still there was no joy, Then I thought of turning on the light that I mounted inside the front lid cover, it worked. The Machine went through the whole carving with out a hitch.
This worked for me as believe there wasn’t quite enough light for the sensor to read the board. A little extra light shining through the clear front cover on the board might help, I’m sure it couldn’t hurt. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

oldjoe
07-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks I never would have thought of the light. The board was flat and not twisted I learned about that early with the machine so I am very careful to watch for that. Actually it was snipe that I thought was the culpret so I got rid of the snipe and the problem went away. But now its back will be running it more tomorrow so I will have to see what happens. I was thinking of redoing the flash card again just in case the problem is hidden there.
Thanks again.

Aaron B
07-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I had that happen before and there was something in the wood it didn't like, as in a knot or dark spot in the grain, something like that. Flipped it over and it was fine, then I heard about people using tape to help it see the board.

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Try just getting one click when cranking the head down. I was having the same problem, 1 click not too tight it all works.

AL

oldjoe
07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Adding more light didn't help just got that dear in the headlights look :rolleyes:
okay I will give the one click crank a try. I tried reflashing the card it work sort of once. It sat there like it was having a blonde moment then it went on its merry way just fine. But the next project same thing. So now I cheat I measure the board #7 then I put in the project. Works everytime so far:o
Thanks to all for the advice

DocWheeler
07-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I was glad that I measured the roller pressure as it was at 80-90 pounds at one click. I guess I need to add some grease in the near future.
I highly recommend that anyone that has not measured the roller pressure do so before tearing your belts or stripping some teeth off the gears trying to move the carving.

oldjoe
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Seems like one click does the trick. All I have to do now is steal the bathroom scale when no one is looking and check it out.