PDA

View Full Version : First carving

Lin
06-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Just one of the patterns from the library done in a piece of common pine...but we had a blast and could not walk away from watching the machine run...
Wishing I would have called over all the neighbors to wathc also...
After the carving was done I drew around it freehand and cut it out on the scrollsaw then did clean up with a 180 grit mop sander in my drill press...
OK...I"m hooked...just gotta get good with the software...
Lin
http://www.geocities.com/creativewoodartplus/cwshell.jpg

Matty
06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
That’s a great start, it sure is fun and the possibilities are endless.
Make lots of chips and have fun

Thanks for shearing

Matty

Julie Coffey
06-30-2007, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Lin;26513]but we had a blast and could not walk away from watching the machine run...

WONDERFUL example of what it can do on pine! Also a word of caution, I can't walk away from my machine for the most part either but if you dont please wear some hearing protection. I'm already going deaf (old injury) but there's no reason why anyone else should.

But isn't it a blast to watch run?

Julie

SevenCubed
06-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I've always been fascinated to watch industrial machinery. Having my own CNC router is kinda magical. Good call on the sanding mop! I'd never heard of such a thing (unlike most folks here, I'm a COMPLETE woodwork Newbie and am comin' from the computer art angle of things), and will look into the procurement of same.

Nice piece! Wish my first work came out so nicely. =)

Lin
06-30-2007, 11:02 PM
We had our earmuffs on...hubby and I..He with the tunes playing in his ears..and me trying to talk to him while he blissfully ignored me...lol
I gotta get me a set of the earmuffs with the radio also.
I really was surprised at how well this came out of the machine...a bit of fuzzys...but I thought because I used pine it would be much worse.
The mop sander did a good job on it. I'm not sure if the carving would've been deeper it would have done so well. I will find that out in time.
Now I have to build a downdraft table for it. I just wanted to make sure it worked ok the first time and it did great...My "Lady" does like the ladies...lol
More pics will come as I delve further into the software.
And I'm sure a lot of questions also..
Off to the store on Monday to pick up the loctite, lubes, and stuff to build the downdraft table.
Lin