PDA

View Full Version : white corian

Matty
06-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Thought I would try some carving with corian . Have to say that I’m very happy with the out come. They were carved on.25 inch with a depth of 0.150 and the height was set at 400.
Light shining though the back. " Lithophane "
http://www.idealmarking.com/carve/d4.jpg

Kenm810
06-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Matty,

Very nice carvings, did you have do anything special to the photos before carving them.

dongear@earthlink.net
06-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Very, very nice. Can you detail how you took the photograph and got it ready for carving? What programs and settings?

Thanks,
Don

JOHNB
06-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi Matty; Your Carving Is Beautiful And I Have To Ask- This May Sound Like A Stupid Question Butt, Did You Do It On The Compucarve? And If So, With What Bit Did You Use? Please Do Tell Us Your Process. Thanks

Matty
06-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

JOHNB there are no stupid questions.. except when I asked my 2nd wife to marry me.

Yes it was carved on the Compucarve, I will have a detailed How to in a few minites so check back

Matty

Matty
06-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Here is a step by step .

http://www.idealmarking.com/carve/d9.jpg

Not: when you carve the image it needs to carve inverted . Yo can down load the mpc file below to see what I mean

http://www.idealmarking.com/carve/test1.zip

NOTE: I used Photoshop to prepare the images you can yuse any othe graphic programe Corel draw ect.

Matty

Dennis Perry
06-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Very nice Matty

Dennis

dongear@earthlink.net
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Matty,

Beautiful work, and great explanation. Thanks for sharing both.

Don

Azbear
06-30-2007, 02:04 PM
How long did it take once you hit the "go" button?

Matty
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Azbear, It toolk less than 1 min to convert the image,

Carving 1.27 hrs on best setting

Matty

Julie Coffey
06-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Awesome explanation- and work thank you so much for sharing.

JOHNB
06-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Matty; Thanks For The Step By Step. Wow, What A Difference When Illuminated. What Bit Did You Use?

Matty
07-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Matty; Thanks For The Step By Step. Wow, What A Difference When Illuminated. What Bit Did You Use?

The only bit used was the 1/16th carving bit

Matty

Dave-Carve
07-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi Matty Nice job, And execelent walk through on HOW TO ....Just like to add my 2cents worth . Not To be know it all or anything, I just have to explan prossess I feel Will help some .
When carving litho's Remeber ALWAYS
1) The Thicker the corian the darker the image !!!
2) The thinner the corain the lighter the image !!!

So the black of the eyes should be thicker than the White of the face.
before Carving make sure you rotate picture to note dark image features are higher.

The White of the face will be lower than the black or darkhair of head!!

If Not When back lit You will have a litho that looks like a negitive (unless this is what you want)

I found out the Expensive Way 8X10 Corain Carved backwards !!!!

Matty
07-01-2007, 09:31 AM
The thinner the corain the lighter the image !!![/B]

So the black of the eyes should be thicker than the White of the face.
before Carving make sure you rotate picture to note dark image features are higher.

The White of the face will be lower than the black or darkhair of head!!

If Not When back lit You will have a litho that looks like a negitive (unless this is what you want)

I found out the Expensive Way 8X10 Corain Carved backwards !!!!

Dave is correct about the thicker material you use the darker the picture.

No offence Dave but I think the terminology “Rotate” is incorrect Should be “INVERT”

In the process as I described above “Rotating” the Image will not make any difference in regards to carving positive or negative. IF you rotate you just rotate the image,
The easiest way is once the image is on the lay design board in your Compucarve software select the image and then right click and click invert.

Dave-Carve
07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Dave is correct about the thicker material you use the darker the picture.

No offence Dave but I think the terminology “Rotate” is incorrect Should be “INVERT”

In the process as I described above “Rotating” the Image will not make any difference in regards to carving positive or negative. IF you rotate you just rotate the image,
The easiest way is once the image is on the lay design board in your Compucarve software select the image and then right click and click invert.
Im Saying Rotate The Image to look at it .To make sure it is "Darker areas Higher".
I Didnt mean rotate Would change Image (Inverted)
Ive seen some images Not inverted after you have inverted them. Rotating Image before carve lets you be sure the dark (Highest point Least carved)images will be carved dark light images (Lowest deepest Carved) will be carved light.

Example = Picture with 2 or more people and senery the mountians or what ever should be cut less depth than the people .But if moutain in back ground is snow covered (white ) whiter than the people. the program Will carve moutian deeper than the people , so in effect the people will be carved looking like a negitive. BUT if you ROTATE before you carve you can adjust or at least see what is going to carve Darker Or Lighter!!!

Also sence were on the subject .
If Your doing a special project such as one with name, or poem ingraved ,and you want to keep "same as picture" you should flip or mirror Image as when done you will be flipping corian to light , If not all images will be reversed.
Example = Org pic dad on right , son on dads right knee
carve with no flip = dad on left , son on dads left knee
Just a quick example !!!!!!

Sorry I explained wrong /or you read wrong ?????

Matty
07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Dave is correct , I did misread his post and the suggestion to angle the image to check the image before carving is excellent advice.

Thank's Dave

Matty

Jeff_Birt
07-01-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm still lost, rotating am image does nothing but rotate it. In your example of people with mountains in the background, you would start with the mountain on top; rotate the image and the mountain will be either to the left or right sides (rotated +- 90 deg), but the image has not changed. The resultant carving will be the same in either case.

liquidguitars
07-01-2007, 06:43 PM
nice job wonderfull..

LG

sk8nmike
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Where do you get your Corian?

Matty
07-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm still lost, rotating am image does nothing but rotate it. In your example of people with mountains in the background, you would start with the mountain on top; rotate the image and the mountain will be either to the left or right sides (rotated +- 90 deg), but the image has not changed. The resultant carving will be the same in either case.

What Dave was suggesting was not rotating an image as such but using the
Isometric view in designer to look at the image on angle to make sure
it's inverted correctly before carving.

Matty
07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Where do you get your Corian?

I got it on Ebay

Matty

Jeff_Birt
07-01-2007, 09:08 PM
What Dave was suggesting was not rotating an image as such but using the Isometric view in designer to look at the image on angle to make sure it's inverted correctly before carving.

Well, THAT makes sense, changing the VIEW to see things better. Generally, 'Rotate' is used to mean a translation of the image, not a change in view.

ruggybear
07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Here is a step by step .

Not: when you carve the image it needs to carve inverted . Yo can down load the mpc file below to see what I mean

NOTE: I used Photoshop to prepare the images you can yuse any othe graphic programe Corel draw ect.

Matty

Matty,

When you build your display box, how deep is it and what type of light do you use for illumination? For the light what voltage and wattage etc?

Regards,

Ken

Matty
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Matty,

When you build your display box, how deep is it and what type of light do you use for illumination? For the light what voltage and wattage etc?

Regards,

Ken

I haven’t built a display box, just had a light behind them.
But I have now put them in oak frames so they can hang in windows.

Already have 5 orders for them, great Christmas presents.

My selling price is 3 x material + $60 hr carving “machine” time.

Kenm810
07-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Ken there's a ton of info on carving corian and lighting the light boxes including the how to on building them. do a quick Search -- Key word Corian

I have used both 110 volt and battery power lights from Radio Shack and Michael’s craft store. The plug in ones I use have a roller switch in the cord and are often used around Halloween, Christmas and use night light sized bulbs to light up pumpkins, decorations and the like from the inside. They cost a couple of bucks; -- as a matter of fact I’ve seen them in a couple of Dollar storeshttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3330&d=1177171410

Mikewiz
07-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey Matty,

Thanks for the directions. I've been tring do make a lithopane for months now with no good results. I was doing everything you did except inverting the pic. Well I tried a new project and I was amazed that it finally worked and looked like the original pic. Thanks again, Mike.

newcarver
07-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Just wondering where to get corian.

Mikewiz
07-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I got mine from a member on the forum named cooldxx. If you do a search for homework projects you will see what he has done, plus what he sells and prices he also lists his email to contact him. If you can't find it pm me and I'll give you his email.

mtylerfl
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Hello,

I just received a batch of twelve 1/4" White Corian sheets today, and on the back of the sheets there is black-stamped printing saying "Adhesive Side, etc.).

Does anyone have a tip for an easy way to remove the printing (so it won't show up with the light shining through)?

cooldxx
07-09-2007, 10:20 PM
To take printing off the Corian: Do a little sanding. The best is to use sander
with 120-180 Grading. Takes few minutes to take it out. If you do it by hand will take longer. You can also try rubbing alcohol. See if that helps if not go back to sanding.

cooldxx
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I have some Corian left for sale. Color is mostly Bone. Sizes are 6x10, 5x7 and 6x8. Email me for a price.

mmarano2004@yahoo.com

Alex

ruggybear
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Here is a step by step .

Matty

I followed the instructions shown on the graphic and the results are very poor.

I then inverted the design in Designer and tried again with much better results.

In the attached picture Column one row one shows the original RGB picture.

Column two row one shows the picture after it was converted to gray scale and then inverted. The picture below it shows the result.

Column three row one shows the picture after it was converted to gray scale. The picture below it shows the result.

Now I have reread the process and there is a note below the graphic that says "When you carve the image it needs to caarve inverted." Does this mean that after you follow the instructions in the graphic and that you have imported into Designer that you now must invert the project before uploading? This is basically what I did to get a good output.

Matty
07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Now I have reread the process and there is a note below the graphic that says "When you carve the image it needs to caarve inverted." Does this mean that after you follow the instructions in the graphic and that you have imported into Designer that you now must invert the project before uploading? This is basically what I did to get a good output.

You are correct to invert it in the designer. Nice job looks great

ruggybear
07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Matty,

Thanks for the info. Your graphic depiction is great but I missed the note below it.

A couple of things come to mind.

1. If we are inverting the image after we import into Designer after it was all ready inverted in some photo tool then why do any inverts at all. Couldn't we just import the grayscale in the first place and forget any and all inversions? I'm just looking for some short technical reason for the double inverts.

2. If both inverts are required then could you modify your graphic depiction (which is very well done) to add the invert in designer and remove the note about that inversion so people like me do not get mixed results.

Just some constructive ideas. Keep up the nice work.

DocWheeler
07-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Matty and Ken,
Just so I'm on the same page as you, it looks like you are carving the front surface, is that correct?
Is the result much different carving the second surface rather than the first?
I recall reading elsewhere where different material was carved second surface.

ruggybear
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Doc,

When I got the good results the front surface was carved and the backlight was applied to the flat rear surface. I am still trying to understand the reason for the double inversion. I think that changing the original RGB file to a Grayscale (GS) file and importing that into designer should work and eliminate the two invert steps. However, there may be some underlying technical reason for inverting in photoshop, importing into designer and then inverting again that I do not understand. Just learning more about the technique.

DocWheeler
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Ken,

I think that all that needs to be remembered is to make what you want the Lightest color to be cut the deepest (thinner material). And, the dark part of the eyes, for example, should be thicker and stand up from the "whites".

If it is that way in Designer - it does not need inverting.

ruggybear
07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Doc ( Ken),

Yep, that is the conclusion I came to as well. Trying to keep it simple so other don't waste a sheet of Corian like I did. Even after retirement I still have to live and learn.

CustomWestCoast
07-16-2007, 11:45 PM
I found this web site that sells Lithophanes in plastic. I was hoping they would show how they illuminate the back of the Lithophane. They list 4x4 = $79, 4x6 = $119, 5x7 = $159, and 8x10 = $239.

http://www.thepaisleypalmetto.com/4x4andupliso.html

Dave-Carve
07-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi Mt

Black Markings can be removed with (rubbing alchol or light sanding 220 grit) Ive also used counter top magic and Glass stove top cleaner (The Gritty Stuff kinda like Sand Soap) If you can see the Mill Marks in it you are better of to sand with 220 grit until smooth (flat) as you will see lines when backlit. Pretty hard to sand after its carved. Without hitting carve..
Good luck carving !!!!

Did you buy a whole sheet?? Or peices .
Where Did you find ?and if you dont mind me asking cost??
Thank You

mtylerfl
07-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi Mt

Did you buy a whole sheet?? Or peices .
Where Did you find ?and if you dont mind me asking cost??
Thank You

Hello Dave,

Got the Corian sheets from ebay.

I purchased 12 sheets (1/4" x 11.75 x 13.5) of Glacier White Corian for $51.50 including shipping.

Also bought 9 sheets of Cameo White and 9 sheets of Bone White (1/4" x 8.25" x 30"). These 18 sheets cost $170.00 including shipping.

Gman_Ind
07-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Nice job with the back light corian, photos look gastly carved in wood but return to their proper representation once used to filter light.
now that I have a few pieces I will try one.
I made many light box's for photo's and slot machine belly glass (another hobby) and I use lights of America 8 watt florescent bulbs. they stay cool behind enclosures. About $22 for a 3 pack.

pamjmayo
07-19-2007, 12:40 PM
G-Man, you've brought up a great interest. Do you sell the light boxes you make? If not, can you show us a picture of what they look light? Thanks, Pam

Gman_Ind
07-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I do sell on Ebay the billiards one. not to profitable so knock yourselves out. I make the frames using Stile and rail set and cut the lip off to get the plastic in. Kreg pocket holes and screws to assemble.
Lights of America, under cabinet lights, linkable, I get mine in 3 pack from local Meijer, about $22 for three pack.

CustomWestCoast
07-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Hey G Man,
What size and type of wood do you use to make your light box frames?

adoni
08-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Doc,

When I got the good results the front surface was carved and the backlight was applied to the flat rear surface. I am still trying to understand the reason for the double inversion. I think that changing the original RGB file to a Grayscale (GS) file and importing that into designer should work and eliminate the two invert steps. However, there may be some underlying technical reason for inverting in photoshop, importing into designer and then inverting again that I do not understand. Just learning more about the technique.

I have been reading, trying to get a feel for doing a photo, etc on any form of plastic, etc. I think the picture inversion is because he carved on the reverse side of what he is viewing thus, giving him a smooth front surface and the image "off in the distance", then backlit. I don't think a double invert is needed. One or the other if you carve so the front remains smooth. I'm still cautious ...... I'll take the plunge soon ... more reading to do.

adoni

pamjmayo
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
G-Man, How about a quote on lightboxes for 8X10 corian. I'm going to market the carvings in Corian in my area and I sure could use a good source for them?
By the way, what is the Stiles set you are talking about. Is it ready made? How do you hook up the lights? Have you got a picture of one that I could see?

Oh, I forgot, I can always look on e-bay. Not to worry, I don't want to build light boxes. HA! Pam

Gman_Ind
08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey G Man,
What size and type of wood do you use to make your light box frames?
I have used oak, MDF and Aspen for the frames. 3/4" frame and 1/2" for the light box's. any wood will work, just depends what your finished project will be. I had request for inexpensive paint grade box's so a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF will make a pile of frames, a big plus is after sanding the glue seams disappear in the MDF.
One thing to consider when making the light box's is what light source your using then be sure to design around it so you can fit it in your box.

CustomWestCoast
08-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I made a couple of Lithophanes out of 6x8x 1/4" Corian. The carved image measured 5x7". For the frame I used 3/4" Oak. I used a carve region of 6x8 with a depth of 0.250 inches. I then used a cut path for the picture window set at 5x7".

As for the lighting, using an incandecent light bulb produces a hot spot behind the Lithophane. The best lighting to use is fluorescent. It does not produce a hot spot and does not produce much heat.

I found a puck type fluorescent light fixture that was small enough to fit in the light box. It is manufactured by a company called Feit Electric. It is a 9 watt flurescent light. The housing measures 3 inch in diameter and a depth of 1 1/2 inches. It comes with a 5 ft electrical cord that has an on/off switch. If you have a large project, you can daisy chain three lights together.

The prices vary depending on where you find them. The cheapest price that I have found was on Walgreens.com The have them listed at $9.99 each for the single light fixture.

I have contacted the company that produces the lights. I was told that you are required to have a resale license. I was also told that the minumum order required is a "master case". A "master case" is 144 lights. The price from the manufacturer is $5.99 each.

CustomWestCoast
08-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi NYT,

I read the thread where you had purchased Cameo, Bone and Glacier white Corian. I have carved a Lithophane on the Cameo White. I recenly bought some Bone White and Glacier White which I plan on carving on this weekend.

I was wondering if you have carved on all of those colors. The reason I am asking is because I was wondering which is the best color to use for the Lithophane. I do not want the detail to wash out if the Glacier White is too bright.

RanUtah
08-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Any updates?

fyrpuppy
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know how well this would work, I get a sale email from harbor freight and they have a battery powered led light strip on sale. Here is the link http://ww4.harborfreight.com/zcom/product/Product.do?compid=100&itemNumber=96793. Don't know if it would work for lighting lithophanes or not just thought I'd post it. Thanks for all the info and tips you guys give, I hope to try a lithophane soon still trying to get my hands on some corian, may just have to order the stuff off of the CW store.

Ron
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I have one simular to that thata 110 volt and it doesnt do anything for seeing the keyboard

Rickrljones
02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
You can sand it off with 320 grit paper. Will not affect the finish.

Kenm810
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Isn’t it always the way,

Earlier today I had one of your trucks stop by at a plastic fabricating company that dose work for us,
to ask if the had any Cast Acrylic or Polycarbonate sheet scraps I could use to practice a little Machine Carving and Engraving on.
In the note I said I was looking for Quarter, Three Eights, or Half Inch Sheet Stock in Clear, Translucent, or White,
and that any Samples or Scraps would be most appreciated.

Now I have the Sheet Stock ----- but my machine is in Texas. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Isn’t it always the way,

Earlier today I had one of your trucks stop by at a plastic fabricating company that dose work for us,
to ask if the had any Cast Acrylic or Polycarbonate sheet scraps I could use to practice a little Machine Carving and Engraving on.
In the note I said I was looking for Quarter, Three Eights, or Half Inch Sheet Stock in Clear, Translucent, or White,
and that any Samples or Scraps would be most appreciated.

Now I have the Sheet Stock ----- but my machine is in Texas. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Yea but, think of all the time you have to have fun designing...

Wish I had a sheet or two of that.

LittleRedWoodshop
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a full sheet of quarter inch corian and no machine. It's in Texas, hope it comes home soon.

Did finally get some designs uploaded to the Pattern Depot though and my shop is the cleanest its been in a long time.