PDA

View Full Version : Help with building sled

GaryM
06-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Does the object you scan have to be less than the height of the side rails on the sled?

I just got my CC today and I want to scan a model that is approx. 3.5" high. I want to scan only one side of this model which would extend above the sides of the sled made from the CW plans. Can I make the side rails any height up to 5"?

Any help appreciated,

Gary

Donboy
06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Does the object you scan have to be less than the height of the side rails on the sled?

I just got my CC today and I want to scan a model that is approx. 3.5" high. I want to scan only one side of this model which would extend above the sides of the sled made from the CW plans. Can I make the side rails any height up to 5"?

Any help appreciated,

Gary

Gary,
You can only scan objects 1" high, or put another way the probe is only made to scan 1" or less in height. I suppose you could only scan the top 1" but, sorry that's it.

GaryM
06-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Donboy, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know you can only scan 1" and that will handle what I want to do but unless I make the rails higher than the ones in the CW plans the model will stick up above the rails. Do you know if I can do it that way or make the side rails say 3.5"?

Thanks for your help,

Gary

liquidguitars
06-28-2007, 09:00 PM
That should work ok... I just make sure the side rails are higher than scan project.

LG

GaryM
06-28-2007, 09:12 PM
That should work ok... I just make sure the side rails are higher than scan project.

LG

Thanks LG. So, wouldn't it be better to go ahead and make the side rails 5"? Then you should be able to scan any project as long as it wasn't more than 5" or am I wrong about this?

Thanks for your help,

Gary

GaryM
06-28-2007, 09:32 PM

LG

OK, thanks for the help. I will build the sled tomorrow with 5" rails and do some scanning. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Gary

liquidguitars
06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I have a cutting sled thats 5" tall and it works fine overall, but 4.75 is a little beter as you will not need to crank the arm past the stop.

a good size for me is about 2.5" tall I can add plywood to
raise the level when needed.

LG

mtylerfl
06-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Donboy, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know you can only scan 1" and that will handle what I want to do but unless I make the rails higher than the ones in the CW plans the model will stick up above the rails. Do you know if I can do it that way or make the side rails say 3.5"?

Thanks for your help,

Gary

Hello Gary,

The Probe manual states the following...

"The dimensions of the sled can vary but the maximum width is 14.5” and

the maximum depth is 2-1/4” from the mounting surface to the top of the
rails."

However, if you're "brave" enough to try scanning on a sled with rails exceeding the factory recommended specs, please let us know how it works out for you!

BearlyRich
06-28-2007, 11:56 PM
When I got my probe and scrambled to make a sled so I could test it, I mistakenly remembered the max height at 2 1/2 inches. It worked just fine but the probe tip would only go down 2 1/4 inches staying 1/4 inch above the sled bottom. So the 2 1/4 inches is the maximum Z height the probe will move. I don't know for sure a higher sled would do any damage, but any higher than 2 1/4 and you won't be able to reach the bottom...

GaryM
06-29-2007, 06:47 AM
When I got my probe and scrambled to make a sled so I could test it, I mistakenly remembered the max height at 2 1/2 inches. It worked just fine but the probe tip would only go down 2 1/4 inches staying 1/4 inch above the sled bottom. So the 2 1/4 inches is the maximum Z height the probe will move. I don't know for sure a higher sled would do any damage, but any higher than 2 1/4 and you won't be able to reach the bottom...

Yes, I am sure you are correct. But the purpose of having the taller side rails is to facilitate larger objects that you want to scan. As an example, suppose you have a clock that is 4" from the face to it's back and you want to scan the face of it. You are going down less than 1" to scan just the face if you have side rails that are 4.25" high. Probably a bad example but I hope I explained it well enough.

Gary

Kenm810
06-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Gary you got it Perfect,
Any part of the object to be scanned that's above the side rails is going to be in the way of the pressure rollershttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

mtylerfl
06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Yes, I am sure you are correct. But the purpose of having the taller side rails is to facilitate larger objects that you want to scan. As an example, suppose you have a clock that is 4" from the face to it's back and you want to scan the face of it. You are going down less than 1" to scan just the face if you have side rails that are 4.25" high. Probably a bad example but I hope I explained it well enough.

Gary

Hello Gary,

That is a great example - I had exactly the same thing in mind. I wanted to scan an old clock facia that is about the same depth as the one you described.

Although I abandoned the idea, I have often wondered why, if the carving procedure allows for objects up to 5" deep, why can't we create a sled for scanning objects that are deeper than the 2.25" that the manual specifies? (Keeping in mind that we would actually be scanning no more than 1" down from the top surface of the object.)

One constraint might be that since the probe-tip mount is approximately an inch longer than a carving bit mount, the maximum depth of an object placed on a sled for scanning would automatically reduced by about 1" anyway, but that's just a theory.

Let us know how your experiment goes, and best of luck!

GaryM
06-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Gary you got it Perfect,
Any part of the object to be scanned that's above the side rails is going to be in the way of the pressure rollershttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Thanks Ken, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

Gary

Kenm810
06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
.Gary,
you’ll soon also fine that there is really no one all purpose Sled,
I have accumulated at least a half dozen or more.
Some for scanning, some for carving ½” stock, others for ¾”, and a few just for modifying. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

GaryM
06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Michael, I hope to test my theory today. I will let you know how it works.

Gary

GaryM
06-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Ken, I can see where you would need them. We need to come up with a way to build a sled that can be adjusted as needed. Don't know how but it would be nice.

Gary

liquidguitars
06-29-2007, 07:48 PM
We need to come up with a way to build a sled that can be adjusted as needed. Don't know how but it would be nice.

I use plywood or blocks to move my work up or down in a taller than needed sled, but a thumb weel adjustment would be cool to tune just the right level :)

LG

mtylerfl
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Michael, I hope to test my theory today. I will let you know how it works.

Gary

Hello Gary,

Were you able to test your theory yet?

GaryM
07-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Mike, Yes I am at 3 3/4 and I am going to add another 1" in a few minutes. I was also able to scan the top 1 1/4 " of an item with no problems. I don't know how it will cut but it looks really nice in Designer. I plan on cutting it tomorrow.

Gary

mtylerfl
07-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Mike, Yes I am at 3 3/4 and I am going to add another 1" in a few minutes. I was also able to scan the top 1 1/4 " of an item with no problems. I don't know how it will cut but it looks really nice in Designer. I plan on cutting it tomorrow.

Gary

Gary,

Excellent info! Thanks for the update.

GaryM
07-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Mike, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go 4 3/4" with no problems.

Gary

mtylerfl
07-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Mike, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go 4 3/4" with no problems.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks again for your testing and report. I'll probably try a "deep sled" sometime now that you have discovered the machine cooperates with no ill effect!

rengaw
11-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Somewhere is an LRH drawing of a scanning sled drawn Sept. '06 by Dave Jockim on C size sheets. Can't find it now, but the assembly drawing I believe is the same one as in the Probe manual.
The side rails were mistakingly drawn in at 2.125" when they should have been at 3", (using 3/4" material and mounted to the outside of base as shown).
But the point is that if you look closely, the top of the rails show 3 holes on top of both side rails.
If these holes were to be drilled equally spaced and on center, they could be transferred to spacers of almost any thickness and dowels glued into the spacers and mounted in pairs to attain any height required. Alternate hole patterns could make them stackable. If the dowels were only glued into the spacers, they would be removable and replaceable with different pairs.
Just a thought.
Steve

mtylerfl
11-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Somewhere is an LRH drawing of a scanning sled drawn Sept. '06 by Dave Jockim on C size sheets. Can't find it now, but the assembly drawing I believe is the same one as in the Probe manual.
The side rails were mistakingly drawn in at 2.125" when they should have been at 3", (using 3/4" material and mounted to the outside of base as shown).
But the point is that if you look closely, the top of the rails show 3 holes on top of both side rails.
If these holes were to be drilled equally spaced and on center, they could be transferred to spacers of almost any thickness and dowels glued into the spacers and mounted in pairs to attain any height required. Alternate hole patterns could make them stackable. If the dowels were only glued into the spacers, they would be removable and replaceable with different pairs.
Just a thought.
Steve

Hello,

Here is a link to the pdf of sled plans I think you are referring to:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/SCANNING_SLED_PLAN_3-PAGES.pdf

(I don't see the 3 holes you mentioned on top of the side rails, though.)

I don't believe David "made a mistake" per se - I just think that was his particular design for a shallow-depth scanning sled. But, yes, you could make the siderails 3" tall instead of the specified 2.25" in the plans if using 3/4" stock for the sled platform. (That would yield a total depth of 2.25" for the "scanning item".)

TIMCOSBY
11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
i have scanned up to 1.9" so far. as long as ther are no staight up and down sides for the body of the probe to hit it will be o.k.

rengaw
11-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the link...That's the one I couldn't find again. You're right, no holes on top of the rails in that drawing, but they are shown on page 7 of the Probe manual. I had supposed the 2 1/4" dimension was a commonality to both.
Thanks for the reply!
Steve