PDA

View Full Version : Do I really want one?

TerryT
06-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Okay, when I first heard about this machine I really, really wanted one. Now, having read all of the reviews and problems folks have had, I'm not sure.

I have the wife agreeing to let me buy one, but if it is going to be constantly in transit to the repair shop ..... that wouldn't be good.

What are the chances of getting a machine that works out of the box and won't have to be sent in for repairs within six months?

Terry

Jeff_Birt
06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Terry, just take into consideration that you hear 10-20 times more from people when they are complaining than when things are going right, that's just human nature. Also, part of the purpose of a forum like this is to ask questions when you are having problems, so again your will hear a lot more about problems than a post saygin "Hey, my machine is working great". I'm guessing the are close to 7,000 of these machines out now (5K was reported a few months ago), compare that with teh number of problems talked aobut here.

Now, has ther been some problems with some machines, Yep! Has CW stepped up and done everything possible to take care of the problem, Yep! Most problems encounterd are a result of operator error, I still make my share of goofs too after having a machine for 7 months. If you take the time to read the manual, read through the forum, are proficient with a computer and have some commen sense your off to a good start.

Frankly, I think a lot of folks who were both computer and tool illeterate bought one and then could not figure out how to use it immediatly and gave up. Read the reviews on Sears website sometime to see what I mean. It's an interesting study in human nature. Both the machine and software are easy to use, if you are not familiar with either field than it will just take a bit more work on your part (this is a great place to ask questions) to figure it all out.

My advice woudl be to get a machine and study up!

dougmsbbs
06-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Terry, I've had my machine for a while now, and it has NEVER been sent back for repairs. I have never even had to call CW for support. I have had several small problems, and have taken care of them myself. Most problems develope because of operator error.
There is a learning curve you need to get behind you, but if you think it through before doing it, you'll be fine.
My advise: get one. You'll love it!

oldjoe
06-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Terry I have to agree with everything Jeff said. Yes I am on my second machine but Sears was great about it no questions asked. My first went down to some problem not related to me probably even a simple fix like a loose wire but I chose to bring it back rather than try and figure it out. My motto is why fix yourself if you have a warentee. The second machine is running like a charm of course I don't use it to do heavy duty work that one of my other tools do just as well. I would not depend on it to make a living but its a good hobby where you can gain some extra $$$ here and there. Maybe even pay for the machine after awhile.
The software isn't all that tough if you use the K.I.S.S. approach to it and not try to get difficult from the start. I am glad I got one I was worried to but you can always get one from Sears try it for 89 days and bring it back if your not satisfied.
Hope this helps:)

Hawg_man
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Terry
Got mine in Feb. and have 120 hours with no machine problems.......it needs maintenance and kept clean like any other power tool. I agree that a little computer skill and moderate level software skills you will be pleased with it.
There are several good sites that sell some ready made files for carving that are well worth the investment............join the fun in a great hobby.......not a production machine.

Bob

Hexe SA
06-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes you do. Most of my problems are operator errors and the 2 other errors I had could be fixed over the phone. I wonder what I did without one and wish I had more time to design and carve. I'm seriously considering a lap-top to take and sit next to the machine and design, while the machine carves.
Eva

want2b
06-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Have to agree with all the previous messages. Watched this forum for several months, got very hesitant, then realized the old adage was true. "One unhappy customer tells a hundred people, a happy one tells another".
Figured there must be a lot of "happies" and bought one and ordered the scanner. Love them both, no problems as of today. not trying to make a living but having a lot of fun with it. Wife and family keeps telling me I can make $$$, have people wanting things but haven't gone that route yet, just get enought to pay for materials and some against wear and tear.
A lot of fun, get one!
Another addicted carver!

fireng2
06-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I was so excited about buying my new carvewright. It is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time. It didn't dissapoint!. The software is so easy even a non compuer nerd can work it. Great and easy to learn. The first few projects i made were cool and there is a little learning curve. As for the reliability of the machine is is about like buying one of the Chinese Scooters out there that you see everywhere. Looks good works good, but does not last. It is mostly all plastic. I don't have the time many others on the forum do to trouble shoot and take the machine apart and try to fix it. When I work on something I expect my tools to work, and I had no confidence at all with this machine. I was very open minded and thought maybe it's just this one maybe it's a lemon. After 2 weeks the machine quit working had multiple errors. I decided to take it back to sears and get another one. yes sears was good and I got another one a couple of weeks later. Again I was excited. The machine worked, but had some problems right out of the box, I was determined to keep trying because I really like this machine when it works. The problems persisted and new ones too. After less than 30 days I had no choice and it broke my heart , but I returned it for a refund. Overall I like the software and the machine is an awesome idea , but it needs to be made to last and more heavy duty. You may be disappointed!

TerryT
06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I downloaded the trial software and have been playing with it for a few days. I really like the ability to make patterns from jpg images. If they carve as good as they look on the screen I will be happy. You guys helped me decide. I'm gonna give it a try. I can always get a refund if it doesn't work out. I have 10 .... er.. maybe 12 granddaughters and make Christmas gifts for them every year. How cool to carve their picture in them!!!

Thanks again.

oldjoe
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Terry one quick word of advice not from me so much I am still trying to master pictures myself. But all the wizards on this forum recommend not using the jpg image format so I have been following their advice.
Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in for what it is worth.
And I think you made a wise choice you will be able to make great things for your grandchildren.
:D

rpringle
06-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Terry,

I have had my machine for about two months and at first was hesitent
to use with practice carves in order to conserve the 200 hour warinte and expecting it to break.

I now have about 40 hours on it and the only problem has been with my quick change chuck. Chris at CareveWright sent me a replacment this week.

I do have a downdraft vacume system,using a micro oven cart from Wall Mart. It sucks most of the floating stuff from the air but I will soon add a blower to the the cutting head to better remove the chips from the narrow cuts which make the machine work unessarly hard on deep cuts.

I would suggest starting with the free "Apple Box" pattern from the forum, it is a great starter project and will demonstrate some of the possiblities of this fun machine.

Russ

TerryT
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
It will be here on July 5th they say.