PDA

View Full Version : DeNoise and Quantize Functions in Pattern Editor

mtylerfl
06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
DeNoise and Quantize Functions in the Probe Pattern Editor Software

Hello,

For what it's worth...

DE-NOISE FILTER
I have found that the De-Noise feature in the Pattern Editor may be useful for making photos a bit more carveable.

First, open the pattern editor, then open a photo (png,jpg,bmp,etc) directly into the pattern editor by using its own "File / Open".

Usually the next step is to invert the photo, if you are doing a wood carving. Next, click on the "De-Noise Filter" (or press Shift-N) and slide the denoise slider to a higher value to see its effect.

It works somewhat counter-intuitively IMHO, but it can globally clean up a photo fairly easily. By INCREASING the denoise slider value, the extraneous noise (grain) in the picture DECREASES. By default, it will start at a value of "1". Try it next time you have a photo you think you might want to carve. Works pretty well on most good photos.

QUANTIZE FILTER
The Quantize Filter (Shift-Q) can help improve some photos when preparing for wood carving.

What it does is reduce the difference between colors in a color photo opened directly into the Pattern Editor. (Of course you will only see the grey-scale version in the editor window.)

When you first click on the Quantize Filter tool (or press Shift-Q), it defaults at the high-end of the scale (value 64). As you move the slider to smaller values, you will notice the photo start to look more and more "posterized" as the value of "colors" decrease. Play with it to see its effect.

NOTE: I understand how the Quantize Filter could be helpful in some circumstances, but I think the De-Noise filter is more useful for overall photo cleanup.

Digitalwoodshop
06-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the tip. Looks like another reason to get the probe.

AL