PDA

View Full Version : Newb question

Sean Bowf
06-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I just got my Carvewright on Friday, and have not even plugged it in yet. I spent time Friday reading the manual for the carver, and today I am trying to learn the software.

I imported a picture into the software. Now, I am trying to invert the texture of the picture. In short, the object in the picture should be sticking out of the wood, not cut down into the wood. I see the "reverse profile" button under "tools" in the menu, but it is greyed out (unusable).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sean

EDIT: NM...I figured it out. I am sure this is the first in a long string of questions, that I will look back on some day, and think, "that was a stupid question".. 8-)

jonweis
06-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Naw, it's the one ya don't ask.

Sean Bowf
06-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Well...maybe I am starting off too "advanced."

I clicked around, and found how to add premade patterns to the board. That all seemed pretty intuitive.

But now I am trying to import a picture and fool around with maniplulating it. I can't find a way to add or remove things from it. I added an outline of what I wanted to add, then tried to find an option of what to put there (I wanted to make the outline a raised surface). But can't seem to find the option.

http://home.sw.rr.com/bowf/boat.JPG

Greybeard
06-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi Sean and welcome.
It seems to be most people's experience that editing/manipulating your picture is best done in almost any other software, then import it into Designer as a last step.
Photoshop or Corel Photopaint are the most often cited, and then import the artwork as a png file. Don't use jpg, which will give you a lot of extra work at the detail level.
There have been quite a lot of posts on that subject, so there is no point in me adding to them.

Regards
John

Matty
06-25-2007, 12:37 AM
John is right on the nail, Edit your images in another software cant do it in designer.
Matty

Sean Bowf
06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I am looking for a 3D affect. In short, I am looking at having the ability to change the height of different parts of a picture, or to make it so it rounds over the edges of an item (like what a round over bit would do). Can this be done with corel or photoshop??

I will do more reading. I have already spent hours in the forums and in the owners manual trying to learn before I even got the carver. I thought the learning curve was going to be the hardware...I was wrong...it is going to be the software.

Thanks again for your inputs,
Sean

rjustice
06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Sean,
Yes, corel can do it. If you are interested in going that route, you can get a trial download of the software for 30 days. I ended up purchasing mine off of ebay for less than 100 with shipping. If you take the time to familiarize yourself with the software some, then download the tutorial from Jon Jantz, he does a pretty good job showing some of the roundover, and beveling effects. His website is www.allcw.com

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new hobby !

Ron

Kenm810
06-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Sean,

Here's the line drawings I was talking about.
See if they helps, http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif Try them carved above and below the surface
and stay away from jpgs to much noise to clean up

Sean Bowf
06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Ken, that is pretty much the same picture I tried...with somewhat miserable results. Of course, I don't have the right software (per the guidance I was given here) yet.

I deleted all the aircraft but the frontal view one...attached (hopefully) is the file I was working on. This is the second thing I have tried to carve...I think I may have jumped in too deep, but hope it all works out in the long run.

Thanks for your inputs and help, they are much appreciated.

And for those that recommended Corel, we are talking about "CorelDraw x3" correct?

Sean

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/graphics/F-16A/Small/F-16A_3view.gif

rjustice
06-27-2007, 07:35 AM
And for those that recommended Corel, we are talking about "CorelDraw x3" correct?

Yes that is correct. Jon has a free download that instructs how he sets up the software step by step, to get it a little more customized to our needs.

Ron