PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully Just a Little Problem

HCM_Bill
06-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Ok, so I was running my machine yesterday for a good part of the day. I am carving names into pieces to make a big picture frame and when I got down to the last board the little arm that swings out to find the surface of the board didnt swing out far enough to let the bit touch it. Is this a normal problem? And if so how do I fix it? Thanks

al2888dj
06-24-2007, 10:37 AM
time to oil the rails

pkunk
06-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Ok, so I was running my machine yesterday for a good part of the day. I am carving names into pieces to make a big picture frame and when I got down to the last board the little arm that swings out to find the surface of the board didnt swing out far enough to let the bit touch it. Is this a normal problem? And if so how do I fix it? Thanks
Make sure that there is no sawdust buildup in the trough in the z truck rail, under the belt, and that there is nothing interfering with the z trucks movement to the right. Also blow air at the bit arm. Sometimes sawdust will build up there and restrict movement. Do a search here for more info.

Azbear
06-25-2007, 05:25 AM
If you are talking about finding the tip of the bit lever, I have seen this as well. After cleaning out the dust, try a drop or 2 of oil on the edge of the edge of the tip finder lever where the truck makes contact with it. Worked for me.

Jeff_Birt
06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again, 'oil' is probably the worst stuff you could apply anywhere in your carvewright (with the exception of the chuck). Follow my thought process here, oli + sawdust = glue. There are many other choices for lubricants that will not have this problem. For the bit lever cam a bit of bicycle chain wax (or ski wax) does the trick. It dries to a wax like substance and does not collect sawdust like oil. Also, do not oil the rails, instead spray a bit of silicone spray on a rag and wipe then down.

pkunk
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Much better than wax or silicon, is Topcoat. A spray on lubricant that dries to a slippery film. Lasts long

Gman_Ind
06-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I had the same problem, with the lever not swinging out far enough.
My wire holding clip for the motor was sticking up. it has to be flush or it will get in the way. I hope this helps you.

Digitalwoodshop
06-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I had that problem too and found 2 problems causing it, both mentioned over the past few months. The first is the Motor lid switch wires not in the correct position and the Z heat sink hits it before getting all the way right.

The second and was my problem was the little screw that holds the pulley on top right side of the rail was loose. Check that. A 90 degree Philip's works great.

Let us know.

AL