PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my Compu-Carve...a few questions

Lin
06-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I ordered my Compu-Carve...finally. Jumped in on the 15 % off sale eariler this week. Delivery date is suppose to be the 29th. (not counting on it but hopeful) Will pick up at store. I need to prepare for the machine. I need a stand..don't have anything at present to sit it on. I have looked thru many of the post on stands being used and downdrafts systems that have been built. I was sorta leaning towards maybe the purchasing the Dewalt planer table that has been posted on the forum or possibly the Miter Saw table...I think its for a Rigid that can be purchased at Home Depot. Wishing I could come across an older...better built microwave cart at a yard sale...but haven't as of yet. The ones I"m seeing in the stores now seem flimsy compared to the one I did buy for use for use with my microwave years ago. Any pros or cons to which would be the better way to go. Which would be easier to build a downdraft table under? I've never built a cabinet myself so building one from scratch is not an option. I have an older Sears shop vac and I also have a Delta 1HP AF400 dustcollector...Figure that the dust collector will be what I attach to the Compu-Carve..using a downdraft table if I can figure out how to make one...(need you guys help on this...have not ever built anything like this..certain angles? yes or no?...where to put hole for hose hook up..middle...off to one side or the other?..any info will be highly appreciated)
Big question here concerning running the dust collector while the Compu-Carve is running and or even turned on.....How do I know if my dust collector is grounded so I don't produce a Static charge and screw up my Compu-Carve. I've never gotten shocked from it but don't know if I"m grounded. I move the dust collector to the machines I need it for at present such as...planer with trash can separator, drum sander, pnematic sanding drum on a sander/buffer machine.
I also have to go find the Moly-Lube and have it on hand...
Any other types of lube or other necessities I need to pick up before the "Lady" arrives?
Can't remember now but thought I saw several post on what to use and not use on the Quick Change Chuck to help keep it from sticking?
Wishing I would have taken notes...Takes a long time to re-read the posts..even using the search funtion. I tend to end up with a lot of posts that really don't pertain to what I"m after.
Am I suppose to use blue loctite on the little set screws for the bits? I ordered an extra set of those and they have already arrived... Or will they hold fine in the flats on the bits with out using loctite?
I'm sure I will be asking more quesions. I've been watching and reading this forum for several months...Absorbing info and trying to learn from you guys and gals...
Wish me luck.
Thank-you ahead of time for any and all info you can give to me.
Lin

eagle1
06-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Wanted to share some pics with you all. I built this Carving Center from reading all the information that is posted here.(It sure does help) Pic 1 is for small projects , Pic 2 is roller beds extended for larger projects, Pic 3 is the down draft system, and Pics 4 & 5 show added vacuum ports to pick up the small amount of saw dust that the rollers push out. It really makes a different when carving and the saw dust is contained. I have a port on the back side of the Carving Center unit for my shop vac.

I am working on an air system also.

Dean

Lin,

Welcome to the forum. Take a look at what I built for my system. You are going to enjoy the Cw and also the folks here. Just click on the blue arrow, it will take you to the post.

Dean

Lin
06-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Dean, So you cut a slot in your cabinet top...the same size as the slot in the bottom of the Compu-Carve....then boxed that slot in from underneath the cabinet to form the downdraft....hooking in with PVC pipe to a hole you cut in the bottom of the boxed in section to hook what looks like dryer hose to it to lead to your shop-vac? The two PVC pipes leading off to each side attach to holes on each side of the Compu-Carve...right...? to pick up other areas that produce dust?
I'm I getting it so far?
Havent' gotten the machine yet.....so how far does it sit up off the cabinet? How do you help to draw the dust straight down...any way to seal that area...or it that what you guys are using the weather stripping on the bottom of the Compu-Carve for...trying real hard to understand so I do it right the first time to try to control the large amounts of dust that I know from seeing pics that this machine will produce....Any suggestions on what stand/table I can purchase that will work. Don't think I can build a cabinet..my woodworking has been in the area of scrolling and just learning to turn on a lathe....but really do like your idea with the outfeed tables.
Lin

RC Woodworks
06-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Lin, I am afraid to set up a dust collector. I know it has been done successfully, but I am worried about static electricty. I would make sure what ever you do ground the vac system well. And never vacuum while the machine is running or on. The static electricty will mess up the computer.

I tried to vac the end of the board and I got too close to the machine. It shut down everything and gave me a fatal error. I had to reboot and fortunately it came back on, but I lost my project.

One day I will be brave and set up a dust system! My Shopbot has a dust system and is grounded. So my 2 CC will work too!

Rick

Jeff_Birt
06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Lin,

Here is a link to a thread I started about building a downdraft system / air blast for my CW. Basically you do cut a slot in the top pf your cabinet to match the slot in the machine. Apply some 3/4" x 1/4" adhesive backed foam insulation around the slot on your cabinet to seal against the bottom of the machine. I made a duct for the downdraft with some stove pipe and wooden bits sut on the machiene itself.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3704&highlight=automatic+air+blast

Lin
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok...if I build a downdraft system under the table/stand that the Compu-Carve is sitting on and run ducts to attach the 4" hose from my 1HP portable dust collector to....I can run the dust collector while the Compu-Carve is running can't I? Or will that zap my Compu-Carve and screw it up? You guys talk about grounding it...please explain? How do I ground the dust collector so I can run it while the Compu-Carve is running? I'm hoping to set it up so I'm not inclined to have to stop the machine and vac out chips...My plan is to set it up so the dust and chips are being pulled while it carves...that is possible...isn't ?
Lin

jonweis
06-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Ok...if I build a downdraft system under the table/stand that the Compu-Carve is sitting on and run ducts to attach the 4" hose from my 1HP portable dust collector to....I can run the dust collector while the Compu-Carve is running can't I? Or will that zap my Compu-Carve and screw it up? You guys talk about grounding it...please explain? How do I ground the dust collector so I can run it while the Compu-Carve is running? I'm hoping to set it up so I'm not inclined to have to stop the machine and vac out chips...My plan is to set it up so the dust and chips are being pulled while it carves...that is possible...isn't ?
Lin
Lin...
It would be pointless not to run the dc along with the CC, otherwise why bother. The main concern is that most of the fittings and the hose from the new stand/table will most likely be pvc plastic which tends to promote a degree of static electricity when sawdust and chips flow through it. You simply need to provide a ground between the two machines and you'll be good to go.

castingman
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Lin, Welcome to the club, I am also new to carveing. I may have dome this the hard way, but , is working. I had an old copy machine stand, the stand is kinda low so i built a plywood box that brings the cc to a comfortable height. For the top i made a wooden { grate } . I drilled 3 holes Equily spaced , { pine was 1 x 4 } cut them on to 3/8 strips, I made some with the holes 1/12 apart and cut them for spacers, sliped them on 1/4 dowl rods and glued them up. I made the box and grate 2" bigger than the cc all around so the dc pulls air from all around. Michael

Lin
06-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Please explain grounding the two machines...Use what kind of wire and where do you attach each end to on the Compu-Carve and the dust collector?
Lin

jonweis
06-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Please explain grounding the two machines...Use what kind of wire and where do you attach each end to on the Compu-Carve and the dust collector?
Lin

Lin...
You can use either solid or stranded (I prefer copper Stranded) and attach one end to a non painted metal part on the frames of each machine. You can use zip ties or even electrical tape to hold the wire from the dc hose/dc frame to the CC/frame. This should provide a static discharge to ground through the wire and back to the dc should any occur.