PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Needs Advise

GaryM
06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
I have on order my Compucarve and Probe and I need some advise. Will the supplied bits be good enough to carve out master molds from scans of somewhat detailed pieces of fired pottery or should I purchase some additional bits?

I have been reading and looking on this forum for a couple of weeks and I would like to thank all for the advise and how to's I have learned so much from.

Thank you,

Gary

Kenm810
06-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Gary, first I'll say welcome to the forum, may I suggest starting with the bits that come with the machine, and try them on a practice piece of ceramic to get a feel for what it can or can't do. Just to be on the safe side. then if you are comfortable with the results, you can progress from there. All you have to do is ask, there are a lot of folks here that well try to answer any of your questions.

benluz
06-22-2007, 05:03 PM
I have on order my Compucarve and Probe and I need some advise. Will the supplied bits be good enough to carve out master molds from scans of somewhat detailed pieces of fired pottery or should I purchase some additional bits?

I have been reading and looking on this forum for a couple of weeks and I would like to thank all for the advise and how to's I have learned so much from.

Thank you,

Gary

yes,the ballnose will give you very, good detail, but you will want to order extra incase you drop one and chip the tip.In most cases you will break one before you dull it.
Ben

GaryM
06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Hello Ben and Ken. Thanks for the prompt reply and good advise. I should have my CC and probe between the 27th and 29th. I will post back and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks,

Gary

Kenm810
06-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Gary,

Ben has brought up a good point, the bits don't like being mishandled or dropped. I for one make it a habit of keeping a piece of plastic tubing on all my bits, even when their in storage or being handled while being loaded into the quick chuck or unloaded from the machine, they are incredibly sharp and exact a heavy toll on fingers and thumbs if your not careful. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

pkunk
06-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Just a thought Gary. Do you realize that this machine will only probe & carve to a depth of one inch?

GaryM
06-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Just a thought Gary. Do you realize that this machine will only probe & carve to a depth of one inch?

Pkunk,

Yeah, I have read that here. I admit I am a little confused about that. The Workpiece Max Size is 5 inches high. So, isn't the cut depth limited by the length of the bit? Does it cut from the top down or does the bit plunge into the material being cut or can this be controlled by the operator? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Gary

pastime106
06-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Gary Pkunk is correct there is a set limit to the dept of cut, but I think that you will be pleasantly suprised to see the detail that can be scanned and carved at that depth. WELCOME!!!!!!
If you have any problems just check this board they know just about everything :-)

Tom

Gman_Ind
06-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I think you will enjoy your new machine, I planned on using mine quite a bit and ordered an extra carving bit and extra 1/8 cutting bit and I managed to break a set so I was glad to have spares to keep going. Precision bits makes very good replacement carving bit, I would recommend them.
Welcome to the fun!

pkunk
06-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Pkunk,

Yeah, I have read that here. I admit I am a little confused about that. The Workpiece Max Size is 5 inches high. So, isn't the cut depth limited by the length of the bit? Does it cut from the top down or does the bit plunge into the material being cut or can this be controlled by the operator? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Gary
True, the max 'size' is 5", but the max depth of cut (by the machines parameters) is 1". It cuts from the top down, but the stroke (so to speak) is 1". The only control is in 'Designer'. Play with the software, and you'll see what the limitations are. This is a great machine, but not a full sized CNC for making larger molds.

GaryM
06-23-2007, 07:35 AM
PKunk, I think I understand. The machine will allow you to insert a board or whatever material up to 5" thick but will only cut 1" deep from the top. I will just have to limit what molds I make with it. I have a small CNC machine but the quality of the scan is not up to what I need. It appears the CC will do exactly what I want and I look forward to working with it. I just wish I could import CNC code into it.

Thanks,

Gary