PDA

View Full Version : Vector vs. Raster Cutting???

Mel Sloan
06-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I see on some of the threads references to Vector cutting and Raster cutting. Is this an option I select when its time to start cutting or a choice in Designer I haven't found yet?

I really don't understand the difference between the two or what effect it will have on a finished carved projects.

I haven't taken my CW out of the box yet because I'm moving to NC in a few weeks and don't want to start anything new until I relocate.

Thanks

DocWheeler
06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Mel,
Raster is like what an impact printer does to create a document - back and forth. Vector is like writing letters in the sand with a stick - the outlines.
The "carving" and most text is done in raster while routing, cutout, and "centerline" text are done in vector. Disclaimer (At least that is my understanding.)

Dan-Woodman
06-22-2007, 06:50 PM
You understand correct, except the fact that " centerline " is not available to most people.as of yet, along with some other features.

Gman_Ind
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Outline is available and is also vector cutting.
Ken that was a good analogy for the Raster VS. Vector.
Raster is like a dot matrix printer, vector is like a pen plotter.
In the designer the stock and imported patterns (sea shell icon) are all raster cut. Slow but detailed. The lines arcs circles outline and centerline text are all examples of vector cutting. even the cut out feature, edge routing and cut to size are vector based.
You can mix and combine these methods on your projects to suit your needs, and not really be concerned with the fact they are vector or raster cutting.
I wanted to turn out fast nice looking signs for resale so I focused on 100% vector, single bit designs to be able to make affordable souvenir items.
I just delivered a sign that used raster cutting for almost all of it, but it payed more for the job.
For my personal stuff I go with a mixture to suit the project.