PDA

View Full Version : Centerline text not

Hank
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I have a carved region at .250 depth. Using trial version 1.029 I tried to place centerline text (using Arial text with a 60 degree bit) within the carved region. It will not take. Am I doing something wrong or does centerline text work only at the top of the board? If it only works at the top of the board I don't think it's worth $100.

See Attached

Hank

Gman_Ind
06-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry to say the centerline text has no depth option, and will not work inside a carved area, If someone can prove me wrong please show how!
BTW per LHR's posted announcement and what I mentioned before Centerline text was pulled from current versions and is not supported by LHR.
Use at your own risk?
I believe what you are callung the top is what I would call the surface of the board, and no your not doing anything wrong, that seems to be just how it is.
I rotated the text 33 degrees to better show what your posting I scratched my noggin a moment before I got it.

Greybeard
06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
This is an idea to think through before trying, as you will be aware I don't yet have a machine. ;)
1. Carve the recess to the required depth.
2. Mount the project board in a jig which has the same height as the recess, so the outer part of the original board is now higher than the rest.
3. Create the centerline text as a separate project, giving the board height as the recess height.

When the cutting head travels across the board to the start position, does it move with the router bit fully up, or does it just skim the board ?
Will it do what is required, or plough through the wood ?

John

Aaron B
06-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Could you create the text in Corel or some other software and then import it in and it would think of it as a carving instead of centerline text? If the text is rastered you can use Merge Subtractive to get it.

Gman_Ind
06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
It you use raster, or outline text, most any PC font can be created without problems. Raster text can be controlled very well and I use it for carving text over other detail. The standard disclaimers apply, a thin tall piece of wood is likely to break. Use bold or fat text and keep as close to surface as possible . I have had to get creative with damaged carvings or increase the size of my scrap wood box. This was and is my own fault and I needed to adjust how I designed the parts.