PDA

View Full Version : Walleye ruler

Rampie
06-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Went fishing at lake Erie last thursday and caught a few walleye,s. the wife caught a 29" hog and we had to use a small tape we had on the boat. so I came home and made up this board to message the fish. Going to paint it then seal it and then mount it on the transum. It is 12" x 29", on a piece of ash. I will post the finished board when it is painted and sealed.

Rampie

Matty
06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Great Idea I like it

Matty

Aaron B
06-21-2007, 06:24 AM
That is a very cool idea, my father-in-law would like that, accept it would have to be a bass or trout.

eagle1
06-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Went fishing at lake Erie last thursday and caught a few walleye,s. the wife caught a 29" hog and we had to use a small tape we had on the boat. so I came home and made up this board to message the fish. Going to paint it then seal it and then mount it on the transum. It is 12" x 29", on a piece of ash. I will post the finished board when it is painted and sealed.

Rampie

This is what we all need if we can pull ourselves away from MS. CW . LOL Nice work I like the Idea.

Dean

Semper Fi
06-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Rampie, that is the nicest walleye I've seen yet. Where did you find the pattern? Is it for sale somewhere?

Ernie

Rampie
06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys, ya I am headed back up to erie in the morning, have to pull myself away from from my cw. As far as the pattern of the walleye, I tweaked a picture I had. It did turn out really well, how ever it could use a little more roundness to it. But I wanted it flat to lay the fish on it. will have to do some more tweaking then I want to carve a full two side figure out of it. if you would like to have it private message me with your email and I will send the .ptn file to you.

Rampie

Rampie
07-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Well guys i finally got it painted so here it is the finished product. Going to put it on the boat tomorrow. My sister in law said I must be crazy if I put it on the boat. Oh well it is just a piaece of wood right. lol

Rampie

rjustice
07-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Rampie, Very cool... hey, with a little exterior finish on it no problem.... should "work fine, and last a long time"

Ron

pamjmayo
07-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Rampie, how did you make the ruler, that is way too cool! Could I also get the ptn from you? I really like it a lot. Pam

Rampie
07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Here is the walleye and the ruler .ptn. enjoy and happy carving

Rampie

SevenCubed
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I like how it gives the impression of being a fossilized imprint. I imagine you could paint it up (or somethin' like it) to look exactly like riverbed-fossils. Add some seaweed an' a trilobite or two... Ideas ideas ideas.

mtylerfl
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Hello SevenCubed,

Funny you should mention that...we've been working on "fake fossil" patterns for a while now. (Waiting to release them 'cause we want to do some test carvings and try a couple creative ideas first.)

redeye_joe
03-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Is the ruler correct in size, like is it really 24"??? I opened the walleyruler1 file that was posted and I dont see how it works. It pulls it up as a photo, and when you import it it isnt the rull ruler,,, I must be doing something wrong. I am trying to find a ruller pattern that I can put on to a fish filet board I wanted to make, and I want the ruler to be pretty close to actual size if possible.. anyone know what I am doing wrong, or where I can find a ruler pattern,, thanks in advance..

www.go3d.us
03-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Nice paint job.

AskBud
03-07-2009, 01:07 PM
In my opinion, any measuring rule could have several snags which must be considered. I think they can be overcome with proper care.

First, set up your "Grid Line" option to the same measuring scale you wish to carve and turn it on.
Second, whether you are using a pattern or building your own, you may wish to use the "Snap to Grid" function to assure your layout.
Third, once designed and saved you will still need to assure that you use an actual board that does not prompt the machine to ask if you wish to re-size the project. This prompt is warning you that your carve will be altered by the machine.
Happy carving,
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
...Third, once designed and saved you will still need to assure that you use a real board the does not prompt the machine to ask if you wish to re-size the project...

I kind of got tickled - I always use real boards in my machine. ;)

EDIT: Shoot, Bud - you edited your post - spoiled my fun!

earlyrider
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Michael, what kind of "fake fossils" have you been designing, and have you finished some? I'd be interested in seeing them. I've been scanning some original fossils such as trilobites, fossil teeth, and soon, some small dinosaur skulls and other curiosities. The trilobites look neet in wood! For a museum exhibit, I had to carve some Paleozoic fishes; any one of them would look bizzarre on a fish ruler. Hmm...:cool:
Ron

redeye_joe
03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
In my opinion, any measuring rule could have several snags which must be considered. I think they can be overcome with proper care.

First, set up your "Grid Line" option to the same measuring scale you wish to carve and turn it on.
Second, whether you are using a pattern or building your own, you may wish to use the "Snap to Grid" function to assure your layout.
Third, once designed and saved you will still need to assure that you use an actual board that does not prompt the machine to ask if you wish to re-size the project. This prompt is warning you that your carve will be altered by the machine.
Happy carving,
AskBud

AskBud, I have never used the gride line or snap a grid, can you explain. I am new to this program, and have not used it yet. The walleyruler ptn on this thread is only one unit of the ruler, like it needs to be used on with a pattern of some kind to be repeated. Like I said, newbie to this program,,,
:)

AskBud
03-07-2009, 06:36 PM
AskBud, I have never used the gride line or snap a grid, can you explain. I am new to this program, and have not used it yet. The walleyruler ptn on this thread is only one unit of the ruler, like it needs to be used on with a pattern of some kind to be repeated. Like I said, newbie to this program,,,
Download the NEW Software manual:
http://carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWrightSoftwareManual_rev1.02.pdf
and save on your PC.
Do a "Find" on "Snap and Grid". About 3 clicks on NEXT should take you to page #131 where both are discussed.

I could have give you lots of words, but, this may be better for all concerned. I'll make an AVI lesson if someone really needs it.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Hello and Welcome!

You can learn a lot from the Tips & Tricks (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks), the Help file of your Designer software, and from the brand new software manual (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWrightSoftwareManual_rev1.02.pdf). Pretty much "everything" you need to know is contained in those resources along with this user forum, of course. Since you are just starting out, investing some time in taking advantage of the existing resources will go a long way to answer many of your questions and make your experience with the machine and software more enjoyable.

Be SURE to read the Dec 07 and the Jan 08 Tips & Tricks before proceeding too far along - they will teach you how to avoid common "newbie" errors and how to properly maintain your machine.

As far as the snap function - go to the Layout menu, click on Snap...

An input box allows you to set the snap interval (default is .5" but you can enter whatever you need). It also lets you specify whether to have objects snap to the grid or to the edges, whether to view the grid and whether to center the grid on the "board".

The Feb 09 Tips & Tricks has a tutorial that makes use of the grid function. Give it a read, and you'll quickly gain an understanding of how the snap/grid function works.

mtylerfl
03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Michael, what kind of "fake fossils" have you been designing, and have you finished some? I'd be interested in seeing them. I've been scanning some original fossils such as trilobites, fossil teeth, and soon, some small dinosaur skulls and other curiosities. The trilobites look neet in wood! For a museum exhibit, I had to carve some Paleozoic fishes; any one of them would look bizzarre on a fish ruler. Hmm...:cool:
Ron

Hello Ron,

Started to do some fossils well over a year ago, but they got put on the far back burner, I'm afraid. Sounds like you have quite a few already! I think I finished just a fern and a fish was all. edit - hmmm, might have done some dino tracks, too - would have to search - they're on one of the computers or backup sticks 'round here I'm sure.

One of the reasons I wanted to add fossils to the line up was for museums. My thought was to make them for lithos as backlit signage for various exhibit areas. I'll probably revisit that someday!

redeye_joe
03-09-2009, 09:59 AM
AskEd, I figured out the snap to grid function and have it setup on my project, but I am still having the same problem with the ptn file, it is just one inch of the pattern, and I need to to be repeated for 24", or maybe I am doing something wrong when I import the ptn file, it imports the same as an image?

AskBud
03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
AskEd, I figured out the snap to grid function and have it setup on my project, but I am still having the same problem with the ptn file, it is just one inch of the pattern, and I need to to be repeated for 24", or maybe I am doing something wrong when I import the ptn file, it imports the same as an image?

I see your situation!
Rampie seems to have left out a few steps in the process (like Copy & Paste and Mirror). Rather than figure hew Rampie did the original, I'm going to work up an AVI lesson on one way to do the task. I'll post it in a while.
AskBud

AskBud
03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
OK,
The 123 Mb AVI lesson on making a Ruler is complete.
Enjoy:D AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Ruler.zip

redeye_joe
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
AskEd thanks a ton, that is great, exactly what I needed...
Sorry about the late response, I was out of town...